Sponsored by:

Motons - Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 01:19 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Motons - Advice?

I am looking at installing Moton Clubsports on my now "track only" 996 GT3. I will also be changing the ride height, corner balancing and moving to a more aggresive alignment (-3.5f, -3.0r). I have a few questions...

1) Which set of Motons should I get? From the GMG Racing website, I see two types for the 996:
*M 500 042 996 C2/4/GT3/RS/GT2 (road ver.) $4845 Quick disconnects front/rear front struts, pin mount rear
*M 500 040 996 GT3-Cup/GT3R/RS (track ver.) $4295 Quick disconnects front front struts, pin mount rear

2) My local race shop is recommending front and rear 996 GT3 Cup Monoball Suspension mounting plates. Do you guys recommend this addition?

3) What else should I look at getting?

4) Should I buy the Motons from my local race shop (not a Moton dealer) who will be doing the install, or should I shop around on price? I'd like to save some coin but really don't want to fracture any potential long-term relationship. What do you guys do?

Thanks!
-Blake
Old 03-05-2008, 01:39 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,693 Likes on 2,340 Posts

i wouldn't buy from a shop that's not a moton dealer. the shop MUST know the product they sell.

i cannot tell the difference of the two sets of motons you listed. but you WANT the quick disconnect for sure, i had it on all mine.

your car has monoball up front. you dont need the cup version. you can easily get 3.5 deg camber no prob.

you do need monoball upper shock mount for the back as the factory isn't metal.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:57 AM
On Pole
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The street version does not have a bearing at the bottom of the rear shock.
Attached Images  
Old 03-05-2008, 03:56 PM
pranqster
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Blake

I have heard through the grapevine that a very good GT3 shop will be at Miller on March 22 for a track day. They will probably bring three or four cars that have had the moutons installed. I am going to have moutons installed by this shop but I want to become a better driver with the GT3 being mostly stock first. PM me if you want more info.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

give mike @ awe a call, he supplied me with upper mono ***** for front and rear along with a compete moton along with all the other goodies at a great price and unreal service. I'm located in so cal and his service and delivery was faster than gong local. by the time I got a return call from my local I had already taken delivery...
Old 03-05-2008, 06:26 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Blake, have you called to verify pricing??? I know there has been a recent price increase and the Moton CS now come with QD's both front and rear (pricing reflects this as well). Also, the basic mechanics of the shocks have been improved/updated (valving, etc.?). Not sure what the current pricing is though.

ps. from the MOTON website:
http://www.motonsuspension.com/index...&brand=Porsche
Both the versions you list (040 and 042) have Steel front struts, pin mount rear but 040 only has QD's on the front.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:44 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I have friend who has a set of CS Motons, take off from his GT2 under 2000 miles 600/800 springs. PM if interested.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:27 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks guys! Great feedback as always...

Mooty - Good point, though I do trust these guys... Thanks for refreshing my memory about the monoball up front...

On Pole - Great pic. thanks - that helps!

Pranqster - Actually, the shop I am working with is those guys. Thusley and others have recommended them. Great guys, though I did want to get a "second" opinion... (hence this post)

Oak - I'll do that. Thanks for the referral...

LVDell - I did ping Steve over at RennSport and ViperBob. Pricing seems pretty steady across the various quotes (including my local shop)... I am still trying to learn more about the changes that you cite. Thanks for the heads-up.

Z06 - That is compelling, though I am leaning towards new as the product has been "upgraded" a bit... Thank though!

-Blake
Old 03-06-2008, 04:20 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Good to know. Like I said, I have no idea what the "current" pricing is but rather I know there was a fair increase based on the upgrades to the systems offered. The QD front and rear is really nice.

Quick Reply: Motons - Advice?