Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 08:49 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,272 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by carn3rd
So does the improved braking, acceleration, and body rigidity equal a greater fun factor on the track? My only worry was that with the added creature comforts the 7 GT3 would be less "raw", less of a drivers car than the 6 GT3.

going fast is fun either way- but it seems that I feel safer going faster in the 997 than my buddies do in their 996s...

the creature comforts vary with options. mine has no options, so the stereo is awful and the interior is budget- however, I like the 997 interior design better...oh and don't forget the alcantara steering wheel- that's rad!

for me it's not about which car is better- but would you rather spend around 75k or 120k?
Old 03-04-2008, 09:10 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks CJ i've been waiting for a detailed write like this.

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
the 7 is faster right out of the box around track (extra hp) and softer around town- but if you're looking to do lots of mods (exhaust, cage, seats, motons, etc) than it's all about how aggressive you tune the car. You can bolt on some cup car exhaust parts to the 6 or the 7- but it gets expensive fast.

the 6 is more raw, and offers no help compared to the TCS of the 7. Of course, I drive on track with TCS off, but it's a bit more peace of mind in rain/snow.

7 is safer, bigger, and easier (more mechanical grip) more expensive, but also under warranty.

6 is lighter, sharper, and cheaper- especially when you consider you can buy one that someone has already fixed up or tuned suspension/exhaust wise. More tire choices with 18" wheels.

I've ridden in a track only 996 with 3* camber, hoosiers, muffler bypasses, full cage, and spend 80% of my track time chasing one or being chased by one- they're really phenomenal as everyone on here can attest to. It's very nimble, and a lot of fun to yank around sharp, low speed turns. At the price point (around 68-80k) is the best dollar you can spend on a track/street combo car.

I've driven my 997 GT3 (sold) and also my 997 RS on the track, and all over the place (3k miles euro delivery, 3500 miles domestic) and believe everyone who says that it's easier around town- it's very very compliant in normal mode. on track, out of the box it has more understeer in slow speed turns but is more stable around faster turns. Getting a stock one around 110k (or more), then budget an additional 10-20k in either suspension, 18'' wheels/tires, extra brake pads, cage, seats, harnesses, and more tires...and you almost double your initial costs of the 996.
That's a good point. Although, with regard to its fully adjustable suspension, how compliant is the 7 GT3 (ie. Would i need to upgrade the dog bones, control arms, toe links, etc...?) I figure the 7 stock suspension is pretty good out of the box so i'd only be looking to do a half cage (DAS), harness, LWFW, exhaust, and wheels/tires.

since tracking the stock version of the 997 a few times, I've added a bunch of GMG stuff to the suspension, lowered it, cage, seats, harnesses, raised the attack angle of the wing, and now am much faster but still feeling stable. Just ordered the full GMG cup/RSR type exhaust because I want more noise, maybe a bit more power...
Wow! I can't wait to hear this exhaust! Please post clips as soon as you get it! =) GMG has done all the work on my Turbo so i know them pretty well. What suspension components did you end up doing?

if budget is a concern- 996GT3 no question. find one from someone like a RL'er who's set it up right, and don't look back for a year or two.
I'm thinking this may be the best way to go until i can "better" afford a 7 GT3.

going fast is fun either way- but it seems that I feel safer going faster in the 997 than my buddies do in their 996s...

the creature comforts vary with options. mine has no options, so the stereo is awful and the interior is budget- however, I like the 997 interior design better...oh and don't forget the alcantara steering wheel- that's rad!

for me it's not about which car is better- but would you rather spend around 75k or 120k?
Budget is definitely a concern, although i could possibly go both ways. It seems at this point, while a 7 GT3 would be perfect, for the money (120k+ for everything needed) a 6 GT3 will do the trick.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:14 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There are plenty of posts on this topic over the past year. From my view, I passed on a 997 GT3 allocation due to price and the apparent "softness" of the car. My criteria for a track car were 1) out of the box 'visceral' feel, and 2) value. The 996 clearly wins on both accounts.

I spent 2 full days with a 997 GT3 (street driving) this past fall, and felt is was less connected. On asthetics, it is the sexiest damn GT3 that I have ever seen. It clearly has more horsepower, faster slalom speeds and offers a better track platform in many regards. But behind the wheel, the feel is not there compared to my "6".

IMHO, this decision will be highly subjective to the buyer. For $70K, I can not think of a better Porsche track platform out of the box....

MY $0.02,
-Blake
Old 03-04-2008, 09:17 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Started my post an hour ago - took a call - finished my post - pressed submit...

Then noticed that CJ said everything I wanted to say - only better!

CJ: +1!

-Blake
Old 03-04-2008, 09:31 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 94Speedster
There are plenty of posts on this topic over the past year. From my view, I passed on a 997 GT3 allocation due to price and the apparent "softness" of the car. My criteria for a track car were 1) out of the box 'visceral' feel, and 2) value. The 996 clearly wins on both accounts.
Blake, I searched for threads on this topic but couldnt find any. Links?

Originally Posted by 94Speedster
I spent 2 full days with a 997 GT3 (street driving) this past fall, and felt is was less connected. On asthetics, it is the sexiest damn GT3 that I have ever seen. It clearly has more horsepower, faster slalom speeds and offers a better track platform in many regards. But behind the wheel, the feel is not there compared to my "6".

IMHO, this decision will be highly subjective to the buyer. For $70K, I can not think of a better Porsche track platform out of the box....

MY $0.02,
-Blake
I definitely agree. And let me explain... I think "everything needed" is very subjective and by it i only meant to include half cage, harness, wheel/tires, and exhaust. I'm not looking to set any records, just have a little fun safely.

I believe the dilemma (as its seems both cars perform relatively close) is now whether or not the aesthetics, noise and warranty are worth the extra 40k.

Can you explain a little more into what you mean when you say "the feel isnt there?" Thanks!
Old 03-04-2008, 10:22 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

with the Sport button pressed, PSM button set to firm, TCS off, the 7gt3 is just as hard/jumpy as a 996- the main difference on the 'feel' is the steering.

997GT3 has a variable electronic steering assist thingamajig.

I upgraded all the suspension parts that GMG makes- solid bushings, dog bones, and toe steer kit. installing sway bars soon, along with aforementioned exhaust. You can dial in a bit more camber, and use throttle to get you around the lower gear turns...either way you've got to get the 997 realigned before tracking it- don't waste time learning the stock set up because it's set up to street use from factory.

trust me after driving a 996 Turbo a 997 GT3 steering on the track in track mode is going to feel amazing. the only way to tell the raw feel of a 996 gt3 vs a 997 gt3 is to drive them both- but you've got to pick one!
Old 03-04-2008, 11:42 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,703 Likes on 2,342 Posts

well, some ppl cannot make up their mind....

my911rs is RIGHT ON the money.

now how he found mid 60 GT3 is beyond me. let me know if another one surfaces.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:55 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

mooty, you let me know too, I need to have a track car in CA for when I move there...lol
Old 03-05-2008, 12:09 AM
my911rs
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mooty,
This was a special situation if there ever was one. It's quite a story but not for public consumption. I'll tell you if we ever meet.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:19 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Blake, I searched for threads on this topic but couldnt find any. Links?
Go to advanced search and type in "996 997 GT3". Also select "Search Titles Only" and "Search All Forums". A whole bunch of links pop up...

Can you explain a little more into what you mean when you say "the feel isnt there?" Thanks!
I like 911s that offer good driver feedback from the road and through the suspension/engine/etc. For example, when I ran over a small stone in my '79 911 SC, I could feel it in the steering wheel. That car lacked power steering or any realy drive-by-wire aid that will help you out in a jam (ABS, traction control, etc.). Hell, just turning the wheel was a workout! That driving experience stuck with me, and I have always longed for a "throwback" 911 that could improve upon these feelings. Like the 93/94 RS America, the 996 GT3 fits that "throwback" model - with 385 horses to boot! It demands complete commitment from the driver. The 997 GT3 continues in the same vein, but offers more creature comforts. It is more compliant and refined. So that is what I mean by "soft"....

With all that said, I could adapt very quickly to a 997 GT3/RS. It is a better platform in all regards. But with the 996 I get 1) better value, 2) same dry-sump engine less 30hp, 3) same general suspension components, and 4) that visceral feedback while driving. At some point, I will move to the 997 platform. But for the next few years, I have the perfect DE car at the perfect price.

You really can't go wrong either way. Go with what blows your hair back...

-Blake
Old 03-05-2008, 12:25 AM
DRG13
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Carn,

I've got a dialed in 6GT3 and I am one of the 6's CJ spoke of as a chaser and chasee:

Speed Yellow
Black wheels
Black side mirrors
Yellow deviated dash stitching
Yellow instrument dials
Yellow seatbelts
GT3 cup rear decklid and spoiler (also have stock set up)
Yellow Calipers/steel rotors
DAS bar powder coated speed yellow
GT3 seats (also have stock yellow deviated stitching sport seats)
5-point harnesses
Fabspeed muffler bypass
Stock exhaust with custom crossover/bypass (loud but not anywhere near Fabspeed)
GMG Toe steer kit
GMG Thrust arm bushing kit
GMG Upper dog bone kit
Cup front splitter
Cup brake ducts
Cup front grill screens

I'm thinking of starting a new project and may let this one go....

Can be seen and heard at the following chasing CJ's orange RS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmFJLtED3bg

That video was taken before mirrors, suspension and rear deck lid was upgraded...PM if you think you might be interested...

Not trying to highjack the thread, of course I'm biased to the 996...
Old 03-05-2008, 03:12 AM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for all the feed back guys! DRG please pm the mileage, price, amount of track time, etc...
Old 03-05-2008, 03:19 AM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

with the Sport button pressed, PSM button set to firm, TCS off, the 7gt3 is just as hard/jumpy as a 996- the main difference on the 'feel' is the steering.

997GT3 has a variable electronic steering assist thingamajig.
Is this between the 6 and 7? Or the Turbo and GT3?

I upgraded all the suspension parts that GMG makes- solid bushings, dog bones, and toe steer kit. installing sway bars soon, along with aforementioned exhaust. You can dial in a bit more camber, and use throttle to get you around the lower gear turns...either way you've got to get the 997 realigned before tracking it- don't waste time learning the stock set up because it's set up to street use from factory.

trust me after driving a 996 Turbo a 997 GT3 steering on the track in track mode is going to feel amazing. the only way to tell the raw feel of a 996 gt3 vs a 997 gt3 is to drive them both- but you've got to pick one!
I definitely agree. But suffice to say finding some good seat time in a 6GT3, let alone a 7 GT3, is not the easiest of tasks as there arent many 6 GT3 (let alone 7 GT3) owners willing to let someone drive their cars.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:33 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

come out to texas and Dan aka DRG might let you drive his!

dude- you're in the bay area! tons of guys have gt3's there, some have more than one. people convene at santana row up there, right? or you could check track day schedules and pop over to Laguna Seca, Sears, or Thunderhill...ask around on here I'm sure somebody will whip you around some corners as a passenger in the least.

by steering feel I was referring to the 996gt3 and 997gt3. both are light years better for involvement than the turbo in multiple categories
Old 03-06-2008, 02:55 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

come out to texas and Dan aka DRG might let you drive his!

dude- you're in the bay area! tons of guys have gt3's there, some have more than one. people convene at santana row up there, right? or you could check track day schedules and pop over to Laguna Seca, Sears, or Thunderhill...ask around on here I'm sure somebody will whip you around some corners as a passenger in the least.
Ya unfortunately SR is about an hour and a half away and i think it would be a bit awkward to ask a 7 GT3 owner (who i dont know) to take me for spin

by steering feel I was referring to the 996gt3 and 997gt3. both are light years better for involvement than the turbo in multiple categories
Ya i figured. Thanks for all the feedback. I think i'll just wait it out a bit more and shoot for a 997 GT3!

Quick Reply: 996 GT3 v. 997 GT3