Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highland Park Ill. Porsche Exchange PPI ...790.00??

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 08:21 PM
abg123
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Highland Park Ill. Porsche Exchange PPI ...790.00??

Jusy got a quote from a local Chicago VW dealer who is selling a 04' GT3. He checked on some prices for a PPI at The Porsche dealer listed above and quoted me a cost of 790 dollars. That includes Leakdown, and compression etc..
Seems like it's high..any advice?
Old 02-27-2008, 08:42 PM
banzaisan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call Perfect Power and see what they charge.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:59 PM
abg123
Instructor

Originally Posted by banzaisan
Ok..Another question, do I really need a leakdown AND compression test ??
Old 02-27-2008, 09:22 PM
banzaisan
Instructor

If you're spending big dollars to buy a GT3, I would spend the money to make sure it's a good car. These are not cheap cars to fix. I rather know exactly what's wrong before I buy the car. You can use this as a negotiating tool.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:23 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

A leakdown on a 911 is not just plug & play. It is a substantial test. I think for this dealership to charge this much is within line for their area.

Do you need it? Well, if you are buying from afar it is a good representation of what the health of the engine is without actually laying a hand on it yourself. I would say that is inexpensive insurance for the price a vehicle like that could cost to purchase. Do you need both tests? I would think that a compression test could tell you if there is an issue, if there were one found - a leak down could THEN be used to pinpoint a problem.

If you were there and found that it drove perfectly fine then perhaps no test would be needed. But it sounds as if this may be a long distance purchase necessitating additional tests.

Also, the Exchange is a good organization as well. Feel comforatable working with them.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:35 PM
abg123
Instructor

Originally Posted by banzaisan
Originally Posted by Michael B.
A leakdown on a 911 is not just plug & play. It is a substantial test. I think for this dealership to charge this much is within line for their area.

Do you need it? Well, if you are buying from afar it is a good representation of what the health of the engine is without actually laying a hand on it yourself. I would say that is inexpensive insurance for the price a vehicle like that could cost to purchase. Do you need both tests? I would think that a compression test could tell you if there is an issue, if there were one found - a leak down could THEN be used to pinpoint a problem.

If you were there and found that it drove perfectly fine then perhaps no test would be needed. But it sounds as if this may be a long distance purchase necessitating additional tests.

Also, the Exchange is a good organization as well. Feel comforatable working with them.
Great. So a standard PPI w/ a compression test?? ....I would think inferior compression means to find another car and a leakdown wont be needed?

Thanks again
Old 02-27-2008, 09:55 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Agree with Michael B. if you are concerned about the engine's health begin with the cylinder compression test. A cylinder leak down test is more difficult requiring more equipment and a mechanic that knows how to do the test.

Is the car still under the original warranty? Does it have documentation? Have you had someone give it a first look for you (Rennlister or PCA)?
Old 02-28-2008, 11:06 AM
lucycan
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 228 Posts

If you get a leakdown, you don't need a compression test. Its better than one.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:49 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

I would suggest you have them check for type 2 over-rev's first....these are the most critical. If you find any of those...then you may go forward w/a leak down knowing you should have it...unless you decide to pass on the car due to the type 2 over-revs.

Otherwise, no reason for it to have any issues in the leak down dept.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:35 PM
abg123
Instructor

Originally Posted by LA964RS
I would suggest you have them check for type 2 over-rev's first....these are the most critical. If you find any of those...then you may go forward w/a leak down knowing you should have it...unless you decide to pass on the car due to the type 2 over-revs.

Otherwise, no reason for it to have any issues in the leak down dept.
Sounds good. I have a PPI scheduled for Monday..the 2 hour Porsche Certification Inspection, whatever that means. The Porsche service department indicated that was a good place to start. Stage 1 and 2 over-revs will be checked. Will the computer catch compresion problems? the rep mentioned it would.
Shall I assume that w/ no stage 2 over revs and a good PPI that a compression test is not needed?
Old 02-28-2008, 10:08 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Ummm, the rep said the computer would pick up on compression problems 'eh? Wow, that is one slick computer. You may want to clarify that again with him as I don't know of any computer that can check compression from the OBD2 port. A good old solid compression PSI gauge is about all that can (or leak down equipment - either way neither use a computer - and the cars ECU cant read cylinder pressure either - but it can read a misfire).

The range 1 & 2 are important and a good indicator, but there is nothing like a test drive (or a pressure test if your not able to drive) for assurance.

An extended warranty would also cover any missed item
Old 02-29-2008, 12:56 AM
LA964RS
Drifting

You should do a search on 1 & 2 over-revs...so you are fully up to speed. Just know that type 1's are not uncommon, its when you bounce off the rev limited which is not difficult to happen. Type 2 are the killers, and they occur when you miss a shift or select the wrong gear...those will cause damage..have pistons hit valves and cause compression problems...and ultimately failures. I don't think you can get a CPO if there are any type 2 over-revs.

Like I said, do a search, it will be enlightening.

Never say never, but these engines are very VERY stout and built for a lot of punishment. I would not be worried on a car that has full service history and no type 2 over-revs. Now...clutches are another story!!!
Old 02-29-2008, 12:59 AM
LA964RS
Drifting

By the way...also do a search on the extended warranties from Porsche...I understand they are not very good and Porsche does not like to cover a lot of bits and bobs under those. No personal experience here, just what I have read. Seems Porsche CPO/warranty service these days, depending on your dealer, can be really quite a bad experience.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:38 AM
rabjohns
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You could also try Midwest Eurosport in Bensenville. I trust them implicitly, they know GT3s much better than the dealer and they did my last PPI for around $100.

Quick Reply: Highland Park Ill. Porsche Exchange PPI ...790.00??