Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Wars: What is best for my DE-only car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 05:08 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a copy of the Porsche Technical Bulletin dated 1/05 for all the "approved engine oils" for all Porsches (except the Cayenne V6) worldwide including all 911's as well as the CGT from 1984 on.

There are probably 70 or so different brands / weight that are approved for use worldwide and most of them are 5w-40 with an occassional 0w-40. There are no 50 W oils approved.

If this list is applicable to the Middle East and Africa I doubt our temperatures experienced here are beyond what they see there.

BTW, I've been running 15w-50 in my track car but I'll be switching to 0w-40 after reading this. One other note almost all racing engines from F1 to NASCAR run very light oils along the lines of 0w-20...

If anyone wants a copy PM me with your fax # and I'll gladly send it.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:12 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Eddie, actually the three weights approved are:
0W-40
5W-40
5W-50

FYI....the newest bulletin is 2/07 released April 2007
Old 02-19-2008, 06:04 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Eddie, actually the three weights approved are:
0W-40
5W-40
5W-50

FYI....the newest bulletin is 2/07 released April 2007
Do you have a copy? I'd like to see it.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:07 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Shoot me a PM with your email address Eddie and I will email it to you.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:14 PM
MM-Racing
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is buyers' guide: Porsche 911 GT3 MK II in the new 911 & Porsche World and probably recommend 15w50. I'll receive it in friday and I ll see. Personally I use castrol TWS 10W 60 (M Power engine) and I m going to 15 W 50 Motul.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:05 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Because 911&Porsche World have the R&D budget and engineers to rec'd such oil? I give that the big whatever. The stuff some of y'all use as a source for product selection is comical.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:14 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,700 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Because 911&Porsche World have the R&D budget and engineers to rec'd such oil? I give that the big whatever. The stuff some of y'all use as a source for product selection is comical.
you crack me up, Dell.
i love it, no BS just simple facts.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:20 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Dell you should give some else the benifit of the doubt. Just because they dont agree with you doesnt make them categorically wrong. I think Porsche may get a sponsorship dollar or two to chose Mobil one. So I wouldn't go swallowing that hook line and sinker like you have.
Whats comical is your thinly masked posts calling anyone who would use another oil weight besides what you use less than intellectual.

We test jet engines out here for suvivability testing including the new Joint Strike Fighter Motor, including hover version. We have had Pratt and Whitney, and GE engine engineers all the time. While waiting hours on end in between tests we have hours to blab. Some of those mechanical engineers are experts on viscosity(not to mention Robby Gordon). I have asked them a bazillion times on the difference between oils and viscosities. They like 15-50 mobil for what I am doing too.
I would put their expertise up against a mobil sponsored Porsche engineer and certainly up against anything you might say,anytime. Now the point is not to call you comical because I am not and I know you are not comical in your thinking. However you might give pause and condsider others opinions to be as valid as yours. To be honest I dont understand why you take such a hardline stance. Given what I know I am more than certain I am using the right oil here for my conditions no matter WHAT you say. But under no circumstances would I think anyone was comical just because they move outside the Porsche bible by one gradient. In fact I might send some admiration that guys way for putting some individual thought based on his circumstances.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:00 AM
JMeager
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche don't just recommend oil from Mobil. In the April 2007 release they recommend oil from 9 different manufacturers such as BP, Duckhams, Castrol, Fuchs, Motul, Morris, Shell, Texaco and Mobil. In all these companies they have stuck with either 0W-40 or 5W-40. In all these oils there is only one 50 which is the Mobil 5W-50.
Again the argument is, if Porsche designed the engine and the bearing clearances / tolerances, built the engine and performed the millions of miles of world testing why are they wrong? Surely they know more about their product than anyone????
We're not talking about an engine that was designed to drive to the shops here that it sitting on its rev limiter at the track - we're talking about an engine build by a company that builds cars that get raced and abused.....

Now of all the manufacturers listed, which is the only one that actually does a 5w-50? Mobil. Right now I'm seeing the trend here. It's not about the hot oil viscosity they are concerned with, it's the cold. In each case they are trying to keep it to a 0W or 5W but allowing you to run a 40 or 50 weight.....

So I would suggest Porsche believe they need a low viscosity oil either 0W or 5W for cold start. I don't know why, I didn't design the dry sump lubrication system, the variocam or hydraulic lash adjusters however they did, and I don't see a 15W listed anywhere there....
Old 02-20-2008, 07:25 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Dell you should give some else the benifit of the doubt.
I do. The Porsche engineers and their R&D department.

Originally Posted by OldGuy
......Just because they dont agree with you doesnt make them categorically wrong. I think Porsche may get a sponsorship dollar or two to chose Mobil one. So I wouldn't go swallowing that hook line and sinker like you have.
Whats comical is your thinly masked posts calling anyone who would use another oil weight besides what you use less than intellectual.

We test jet engines out here for suvivability testing including the new Joint Strike Fighter Motor, including hover version. We have had Pratt and Whitney, and GE engine engineers all the time. While waiting hours on end in between tests we have hours to blab. Some of those mechanical engineers are experts on viscosity(not to mention Robby Gordon). I have asked them a bazillion times on the difference between oils and viscosities. They like 15-50 mobil for what I am doing too.
I would put their expertise up against a mobil sponsored Porsche engineer and certainly up against anything you might say,anytime. Now the point is not to call you comical because I am not and I know you are not comical in your thinking. However you might give pause and condsider others opinions to be as valid as yours. To be honest I dont understand why you take such a hardline stance. Given what I know I am more than certain I am using the right oil here for my conditions no matter WHAT you say. But under no circumstances would I think anyone was comical just because they move outside the Porsche bible by one gradient. In fact I might send some admiration that guys way for putting some individual thought based on his circumstances.

OG, take off the blinders and don't wear such thin skin. You, and all the others blame Mobil 1 dollars for the RECOMMENDED oil. Take a look at the TSB and you will realize it is the rec'd weight that is listed and Mobil is just one, that's right, JUST ONE, from a list of almost 50 different brands to choose from.

Last time I checked, your Porsche didn't have a jet engine strapped to it. Why is it that those of you that drink the 15W-50 kool-aid pull out arguments like jet engines and non-vario cup motors? What's worse is you will take the side of a magazine rather than the manufacturer. An expert on viscosity is NOT the same as an expert on Porsche motor technology.

Run whatever you want in your car and I will run what I want in mine. I have almost 100K miles and 10K track miles between my 996CAB and GT3 and run exclusively 0W-40 with never a single DROP of oil, pressure problem, lifter problem, etc, etc, etc..

Where is the most wear done on a street car? Insert the key and listen.

Last edited by LVDell; 02-20-2008 at 12:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil Wars: What is best for my DE-only car?