Sponsored by:

New to GT3

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008 | 01:08 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Default New to GT3

Hello,

I would like to introduce myself, as I have been lurking for a while here on the water cooled side. I sold my beloved and heavily massaged 993 to Juha, and now have his beautiful white GT3. He will be happily tracking his new ride, and I hope to slowly morph my GT3 to be a competent track car. It is snowy here, so I haven't really had a chance to drive it. I have instructed in a few GT3s up here, and have been passed by many more. I'll have many questions about mods and settings to get me started. I have seen that there is a lot of experience on this list, and have already learned quite a bit. I'm in the process of changing the PCCBs to a more trackworthy and affordable alternative, and expect to try many of the options discussed so I can see what is best for my needs. This is my 3rd track car in the last 12 years...and I expect it to be the most exciting and rewarding.

I'll start with a question. Although I will probably go with Moton CS eventually, like I had on my 993, I'd like to get a feel for the GT3 the way it is first. Juha had the suspension set for Kussmal specs. Does anyone have experience with this on the track? It is very responsive on the street, in the very limited driving I have done. What is it like nearer t the limit? Do I need to change the rear upper mount before I go out for the first time? I'll use PS2s until they are gone, and replace with R compound. I like R6s, but if they make them in the right size, I will try BFG R1. I've driven a few cars with them, and think the turn in is superior to Hoosiers.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 01-31-2008 | 04:52 PM
SEAN 996
Cruisin'

Congratulations on the GT3! I had the pleasure of having you as my instructor at VIR this past summer and was very impressed with the ride in your (old) 993. I can only imagine the things you will do with your new car, enjoy it.

Chris
Old 01-31-2008 | 04:57 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I hope to see you there again. I'm going to be at the Audi event in April, and possibly NNJRPCA later in the year. I probably won't be doing the TrackDaze event this year, but you never know. I have a lot to learn with the GT3.
Old 01-31-2008 | 05:16 PM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chuck Price
Hello,
I'll start with a question. Although I will probably go with Moton CS eventually, like I had on my 993, I'd like to get a feel for the GT3 the way it is first. Juha had the suspension set for Kussmal specs. Does anyone have experience with this on the track? It is very responsive on the street, in the very limited driving I have done. What is it like nearer t the limit? Do I need to change the rear upper mount before I go out for the first time? I'll use PS2s until they are gone, and replace with R compound. I like R6s, but if they make them in the right size, I will try BFG R1. I've driven a few cars with them, and think the turn in is superior to Hoosiers. Thanks for any advice.
I would just run it as is this time out...then fiddle with the alignment, etc. Although it would be a good idea to go to the Kussmal specs, it wont hurt to check out the car "stock" the first time out! Either way, they drive fine on the street IMHO. I have gone back to a more stock setting now as I have not had time for the track...so to save tires, I am back at stock for now. Enjoy your car, and welcome to the club...
Old 01-31-2008 | 05:16 PM
SEAN 996
Cruisin'

I'm going down with the Zone 2 group in March. I'll have to check out the Audi event too. I do want to Mid Ohio among other tracks so, I hope to see and have you as an instructor again. I did drive Kens GT3 and hopefully one day I can add one to the list.

Chris
Old 01-31-2008 | 05:31 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Congrats on the new car, Chuck! Changing the PCCBs are always a good idea when you think about the price for replacement when they are gone. I also took my PCCBs out for Performance Friction (Grand-Am Rolex 24 series ones) and the cup rotors. There is a thread about rotor options. As for Kussmal settings, I don't have an experience with it yet. They are focus more towards track drivings so I doubt you'll need to change anything for the track but wait the inputs from other experts also. Don't forget about the toe-links on the list of modifications. Username, NJ-GT, knows a lot when it comes to Motons and its settings. Tirewise, I only know about MPSC and PS2s. Hope to see you on the track sometime soon.

Let's switch cars if you wanna try out the almost stock alignment spec 3. Is Kussmal setting set the front toe out with super negative camber? My camber is set to most negative as you can get (can't think the number top of my head) without putting shims and rotating the struts. Also, zero toe. Ride height and other variables are same as Kussmal. Yup, welcome to the club!!

Last edited by datax; 01-31-2008 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-31-2008 | 09:25 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Kussmal setting is a good place to start. just drive it and then adj it to your liking.
i dont think R1 comes in GT3 sizes, i may be wrong.
R6 does.
Old 01-31-2008 | 11:14 PM
Jetmech
Racer

Just wondering...why you also went from a 993 to a GT3.
Old 02-01-2008 | 07:25 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
Kussmal setting is a good place to start. just drive it and then adj it to your liking.
i dont think R1 comes in GT3 sizes, i may be wrong.
R6 does.
Yes, you're not correct. BFG R1 are available in 285/30R18 and 335/30R18 for the GT3.
Old 02-01-2008 | 07:37 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hello,

I would like to introduce myself, as I have been lurking for a while here on the water cooled side. I sold my beloved and heavily massaged 993 to Juha, and now have his beautiful white GT3. He will be happily tracking his new ride, and I hope to slowly morph my GT3 to be a competent track car. It is snowy here, so I haven't really had a chance to drive it. I have instructed in a few GT3s up here, and have been passed by many more. I'll have many questions about mods and settings to get me started. I have seen that there is a lot of experience on this list, and have already learned quite a bit. I'm in the process of changing the PCCBs to a more trackworthy and affordable alternative, and expect to try many of the options discussed so I can see what is best for my needs. This is my 3rd track car in the last 12 years...and I expect it to be the most exciting and rewarding.

I'll start with a question. Although I will probably go with Moton CS eventually, like I had on my 993, I'd like to get a feel for the GT3 the way it is first. Juha had the suspension set for Kussmal specs. Does anyone have experience with this on the track? It is very responsive on the street, in the very limited driving I have done. What is it like nearer t the limit? Do I need to change the rear upper mount before I go out for the first time? I'll use PS2s until they are gone, and replace with R compound. I like R6s, but if they make them in the right size, I will try BFG R1. I've driven a few cars with them, and think the turn in is superior to Hoosiers.

Thanks for any advice.
Chuck,

Congratulations on the new car. White 996 GT3 are the second fastest GT3 on track days.

The stock car can be driven in r-comp and slicks. Obviously, the stock 225# front springs and 550# rear springs have their limitations on a 3,100 lbs car plus fuel and driver.

You will discover things you need to improve, coming from a 993 track car. The engine is ok as is, the transmission ratios too long, the brake cooling is bad, the suspension has a few glitches, but it is a wonderful car.

Check the temperature on the engine bay, check the coolant hose clamps, brake ducts, and front spoiler lip.

Flush to Castrol SRF, RBF600 or AP Racing brake fluid. The stock brake pads will kill your rotors in two track days if you drive the car at its pace. I cracked my stock front steel rotors in just two days. My stock rears are still in wonderful conditions.

Be aware that without track time and the Kussumaul settings, the rear tires will need replacement every 5,000 - 7,500 miles. They will cord on the inside edge.

There is a lot of information about these cars in this board.

Recaro seats, harnesses, roll bar and fire extinguisher should be your first updates.

Enjoy it...
Old 02-01-2008 | 10:04 AM
Rceron
Racer

Regarding coolant hose clamps...do they just fail? Should they be replaced regularly. Never heard of clamps failing in other cars. I thought it would be the rubber hose itself.
Old 02-01-2008 | 10:29 AM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all of the info. I've gone back into the archives and have learned how different the GT3 challenges are from the 993.

JetMech: I just wanted a change. I have about 16k track miles in a 993. It is a really fun, solid platform, and I changed all that could be changed to make it great...Moton CS, RS brakes, oil cooler, adjustable sway bars, evo uprights, Sparco seats and harnesses, regeared tranny, LWFW, LSD, RS clutch...you get the picture. I was turning within .5 sec lap after lap, and so I guess I was getting a little bored.

NJ-GT: You have a huge amount of experience, and have taken your car to a high level that I do not anticipate for myself. However, I hope you can advise me on some prudent upgrades that can help me become more efficient. I don't think I'm going to re-gear again. It can make a huge difference, but for this car ( we'll see how long I can hold this line...:-) ) I'm going to try to keep it more stock...
I've used Motul and ATE in the past. The brakes are going to be PFC 2 piece rotors and pads (97) first time out, with 997 GT3 cup rotors in the rear. I'll experiment from there. Since the car is at Kussmaul settings now, I'll try that. Should I change the rear top suspension mount or Toe links immediately, or can I wait until I move to Motons? I'm putting a bar and harnesses in. Has anyone used the bracket for the crotch strap that Gert sells that attaches to the seat mounts, or have people just drilled an attachment in the floor ( as I have in past cars)?

Thaks again for the welcome and the info. We are getting another foot of snow today, so all I can do is plan and dream :-(.

Last edited by KOAN; 02-01-2008 at 12:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-01-2008 | 12:18 PM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Congrats Chuck. Glad you guys both got what you wanted.
Old 02-01-2008 | 01:37 PM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Should I change the rear top suspension mount or Toe links immediately, or can I wait until I move to Motons? I'm putting a bar and harnesses in. Has anyone used the bracket for the crotch strap that Gert sells that attaches to the seat mounts, or have people just drilled an attachment in the floor ( as I have in past cars)?

Thaks again for the welcome and the info. We are getting another foot of snow today, so all I can do is plan and dream :-(.
Chuck,

- I think the consensus around here is to change out the toe links (to TRG, Tarret, etc.) at a minimum. Will give you some assurance that the rear toe is staying where you want it. Don't think you need to wait until you move to Motons for that simple upgrade.
- The Tequipment substrap bar (not sure if this is the piece Gert is selling) fits to the seat mounts perfectly and is what I use. Got those from Suncoast I believe.
- Also, if you want an FE bracket the Sharkwerks bracket fits nicely under the passenger seat and accommodates the substrap bracket. It's a nice piece.
Old 02-01-2008 | 02:19 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rceron
Regarding coolant hose clamps...do they just fail? Should they be replaced regularly. Never heard of clamps failing in other cars. I thought it would be the rubber hose itself.
Coolant hoses, clamps, all failed on me 3 times since I bought the car last July (1 of them I'm sure is dealer being not very careful). I posted the part numbers for it. Search the threads I created. Now it stopped as dealer ended up replacing all the hoses in the coolent system that are made out of rubber.

Quick Reply: New to GT3