Sponsored by:

Front Wheel Well Rub

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 10:28 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Front Wheel Well Rub

Has anyone has any issues with the front wheel well? - not the wheel against the fender. I am getting a lot of rubbing on my left front tire when turning to lock right; eg. a slow turn out of a parking spot or something similar. My dealer said heavy shock compression could have caused the well to get loose and which has caused issues with the structure of the part. The bottom line is it needs to be replaced as per the dealer for around $400.

So, my question is should this be covered under warranty? My dealer said no. Could I have a problem with may shocks/springs that may have caused this issue in the first place. Thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:42 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by rodneyr
Has anyone has any issues with the front wheel well? - not the wheel against the fender. I am getting a lot of rubbing on my left front tire when turning to lock right; eg. a slow turn out of a parking spot or something similar. My dealer said heavy shock compression could have caused the well to get loose and which has caused issues with the structure of the part. The bottom line is it needs to be replaced as per the dealer for around $400.

So, my question is should this be covered under warranty? My dealer said no. Could I have a problem with may shocks/springs that may have caused this issue in the first place. Thoughts would be appreciated.
If you're running on stock suspension in factory spec (ride height+alignment) and you have factory spec tire size, you shouldn't be rubbing anywhere.
Sounds like the inner fender (plastic) has come loose somehow.
It could also be a loose brake duct but that would be so obvious that if the dealer looked at your car, he would have noticed it.

Maybe you can re-attach the inner fender, $400 sounds a lot of a piece of plastic. Of course if it's completely broken you need to get a new one but if it's just fastener that has given up, you don't need a new fender.

My car is riding pretty low, my struts have been rotated and I'm running a really aggressive alignment setup (Kussmaul spec), with my BBS wheels I rub a tiny bit on the inside fender when turning in full lock.
With the 19" street wheels it's even worse because the overall diameter is bigger. But I'm fine with it, I just don't go full lock when I turn.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:17 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

The car is lowered... Yes, I agree the inner fender some how came loose, and I would like to know how. I did check the cup brake ducts which do come loose, but that was not the issue. I believe it has a hole or crack in the plastic, but without seeing it I have to take the dealers word. I was just curious if any one else had this issue and if the dealer paid for the replacement part under warranty.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:22 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by rodneyr
The car is lowered... Yes, I agree the inner fender some how came loose, and I would like to know how. I did check the cup brake ducts which do come loose, but that was not the issue. I believe it has a hole or crack in the plastic, but without seeing it I have to take the dealers word. I was just curious if any one else had this issue and if the dealer paid for the replacement part under warranty.
Why don't you jack up the front, take off the wheel and see for your self?
Take some photos and post them here while you're at it!
Old 12-22-2007, 03:51 PM
zoomzoom
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wheel arch liners are known to deform under heat and bow into the wheel space. It's possible yours may have deformed and are now rubbing the wheels. Solution? Heat gun.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:05 PM
johnr265
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

I put all season tires for the winter on in stock size on the front and I get a little rub at full lock (stock ride height). It looks like mine is rubbing on the upper brake cooling duct. It should be easy to see where it's rubbing and you don't even need to take the wheel off. If you turn the steering wheel full lock both ways, with a flashlight, you should easily be able to see where the rub marks are.

Quick Reply: Front Wheel Well Rub