Sponsored by:

My Drive across country in a GT3

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 10:17 AM
Jetmech
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Drive across country in a GT3

I wanted to share my experience after purchasing an 04 GT3.

I have been looking for a GT3 for some time...at least several months...was keen on a white or yellow, but after wanting for

so long, I figured, its not in the books and decided not to purchase. that same day I saw a nice black GT3 with the

modifications I wanted, roll bar and Euro sets...yea for the track. in addition, the car had sport cup tires, and an RS

wing...go figure.

I was traveling to Houston for three days and instead of flying back home to Cincinnati,oh, I decided to fly directly to

Portland a day early on friday.

I was picked up the the current owner a Mr. Andy Chenoweth, we got along from the get go. traveled to his home. did the

unvailing of the car, test drove the car, inspected everything...got the original seats and wing to the pack and ship, and

said goodbye for my travel down to Huntington Beach, CA.

Good thing I did, because on saturday it rained so hard, it was a federal disaster. I missed the rains by hours. I

traveled down to the California/Oregon border that night. On saturday at 4:30 am I started down to Orange County. at around

10:am, I was coming up on a 996 C2, very nice slate gray. The Owner Mr. Richard Tsai, held up a flyer, which I could not

read, but realized he was trying to tell me something, so we pulled over and he explained to me that the Sacramento PCA club

was holding a car show. I needed a break, and what better way than to see other cars and speak with other car buffs.

after a few hours at the show, and winning most traveled award, I headed down to Huntington beach. I spent time with my

father, and while driving around town, saw a nice 997 turbo at Shoreline Motoring. They specialize in Wheels for all sports

cars. "free plug". Got some new street wheels for the drive back to Cincinnati, since I didn't want to use up the Pilot

sport cups on the street.

I headed to Lake Havasu on friday afternoon, nice drive with no traffic. spent some time with my mother, washed the car and

started to look at the weather reports on the 40 back to Ohio. Frozen roads...rain, snow, it didn't look good. Then it

dawned on me...the US 10 is below the snow belt, and only about 230 miles extra, but conditions were clear.

I headed out on Tuesday afternoon. Made it to New Mexico that night. From New Mexico to outside Dallas the next day, and

from Dallas to Louisville, KY, where I met my friends for dinner and spent the night. the next day I headed out to

Cincinnati, only about an hour 1/2 drive...I was then thinking...hey all these miles, and not one ticket...when a minivan

passed me, I started to get on the gas, just because I knew I would be parking her for some time...snow was in the forcast in

Cincinnati. just then A Jeep Cherokee I was behind lighted up...it was a highway patrol car...WHO KNEW! The minivan got

pulled over, and I was just happy it wasn't me.

made it home, washed the car, and thanked my lucky stars that I made up safely, had a blast, and can't wait to drive her

again!!

Yes, I got up to some high speeds, only when safe...what Ive learned. if your taller than 6"3, pull out the inserts on the

Euro seats, it keeps you from having to lift up on your foot to keep the car under 120 in 6th gear.

I averaged 24.8 MPG. WOW!

You can put this car in 6th gear in low speeds and just pretend you have a fast automatic....

you have so much fun driving...pay attention to your gas gauge..with only 16 gallons....it got low very quickly.

set your MPH limit sensor to around 75. it warned me at the right times, along with my valentine Radar...which I recalled

saved my butt about 4 times.

Its fun to stop and eat at the truck stops....and pretend your a trucker.

The cup holder is not good on bumpy roads...for it spills on places that are tricky to clean...however, after about a day of

driving...i realized you can pull it out even more, for two cup holders...this puts the spills on the passenger

floor...better, but not perfect...I don't like lids on my coffee, its my problem..not Porsches.

Cruise control is a must...I didn't have it...but it would been more of a pleasure, than trying to keep the car under 100

MPH. which is just too easy. I drove a 914, 911S, 993 and now this...no comparison...a fun and wicked car...I can't

wait...Road Atlanta coming up Jan 18th.

Last edited by Jetmech; 03-25-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:23 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats Jetmech! Great writeup for a great trip! Glad to see you are having so much fun with the "3". Does this car rock or what? Just wait until you get it on the track - pure bliss...

-B
Old 12-16-2007, 11:27 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Congrats on getting the GT3! Nice write up. Sounds like you had a great time!
Old 12-16-2007, 12:01 PM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetmech
You can put this car in 6th gear in low speeds and just pretend you have a fast automatic....
hehe...that is so true. Great trip report. Thanks. .........(cupholder?)
Old 12-16-2007, 12:17 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Now THAT is a road trip!
Old 12-16-2007, 12:25 PM
Jetmech
Racer

cupholder..yea...did I say something wrong...I need my coffee when I start driving at 4 am
Old 12-16-2007, 01:33 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Great roadtrip.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:38 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:43 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

That was freaking great. Thank you. Nice work.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:04 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

What a trip! Congratulations!!
Old 12-16-2007, 04:19 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

NICE trip!!!!
Old 12-16-2007, 05:45 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Awesome story! I purchased my 993 in Seattle and drove it home to Maryland - via Canada. 3,200 very nice miles. How long was your trip?

Congrats on the GT3.

Andreas
Old 12-16-2007, 05:51 PM
Jetmech
Racer

I could have done it in two days, but stayed in Louisville, ky for a night.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:21 PM
Trj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Now you just have to drive it down to VIR in the spring! ( :
Old 12-16-2007, 06:34 PM
Jetmech
Racer

as long as you show me around the track, and its an invite..i'm there!!

Quick Reply: My Drive across country in a GT3