Jetmech
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its the car on this board: "Another GT3 FS: Mine "
Old 11-27-2007, 06:20 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

$64,500.............Sold in 6 hours. I know because I looked at it 2 hours after it hit ebay, so I called the guy in Boulder with a few questions. He said he would call me back later the next day due to work load. By the time I woke up the next morning (Literally 6 hours later), someone had hit "the buy it now" button and it was gone. I am guessing that the new owner decided to accept the written Ebay description alone, and took a risk.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:23 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,166 Likes on 2,911 Posts

Originally Posted by ///Mous3
Grant, I just checked the eBay; most 996 GT3 did not meet the reserve but the last bid fell within my rage.

Please let me know if you think the pricing is totally off because I see myself looking for a White one!

Ta.
Maybe I missed a higher bid, but I thought that car sold for $64.5k.

It was a nice car - I've seen it and it was very clean and well maintained.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:30 PM
Jetmech
Racer

ive looked every day...and missed this myself....there had to be a story behind it....thats my story, and Im sticking to it...
Old 11-27-2007, 06:41 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetmech
ive looked every day...and missed this myself....there had to be a story behind it....thats my story, and Im sticking to it...
Whatever makes you sleep at night.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:46 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

As another data point, I was offered a 2004 GT3 with 26k in Silver with Leather GT3 seats for $60k last week. Didn't buy it (maybe should have) and now it's going to the wholesale auctions.

This is the car (no damage history):
http://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/...?itemid=390574
Old 11-27-2007, 07:28 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Exclamation ...

Originally Posted by GrantG
As another data point, I was offered a 2004 GT3 with 26k in Silver with Leather GT3 seats for $60k last week. Didn't buy it (maybe should have) and now it's going to the wholesale auctions.

This is the car (no damage history):
http://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/...?itemid=390574
Whooaa... speechless. I bet the car is sold.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:32 PM
ssarchi
Burning Brakes

Mous- if you want to buy below the accepted range you have to have some large ones.... cash in hand, and know how to quickly evaluate the product.

Or else.... poof..... it's gone.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:35 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Grant,

Why didn't you buy the silver car on Dupont? Did you see it in person?

As to values' this is my take. The high end of the market is probably the white car in Florida with 4K miles on it. It was paired with the blue car. He was asking $83K and probably sold it for $80K. I'd say this is the top end of the market right now. Looked to be a very nice car, although I'll admit to not having seen it. The low end is probably the $56K car in Studio City. This car has known accident damage to right front and high miles @ 56K. The median price here being $68K. I'd say $5K above and below that is fair for a good solid driver with some miles and some use, therefore $63K - $73K is a good range to target in my humble opinion.

The yellow car sold last week (topic of this thread) for $64,500, and was probably sold $2K - 3k shy of it's potential, so I wouldn't call it a screaming deal, but certainly I'd say a good one. I doubt our fellow Rennlister from Boulder is too worried about the money left on the table given his other toy collection and the fact that the deal was done very quickly.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:40 PM
Boulder GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetmech
So from a sellers perspective, here's what happened: A gentleman on the East coast had an auto notification on EBay for all GT3's. He called me and we worked out a deal on the phone. He was painless to deal with as was I. As a result, I think he got the car for a great buy. I think I could have screwed around and answered a zillion questions and sold it for $3-5K more. I still did better than I would have on trade. The other reason I was very easy to work with was that he had had two GT3's and has high other high end cars. He's not going to freak out when he hears the LSD. Another example; he didn't want a leak down which is certainly a buyers perogative but there is no way I'm going to spend two days hauling the car around to have something diagnosed I know is fine. Buyers have a lot of power but they can nit pick something to death and miss a deal too. As someone said, he took some risk and got a great deal on a great no issues car.

Last edited by Boulder GT3; 11-27-2007 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:41 PM
Boulder GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ssarchi
Mous- if you want to buy below the accepted range you have to have some large ones.... cash in hand, and know how to quickly evaluate the product.

Or else.... poof..... it's gone.
In my case, BINGO.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:53 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by christallon
Grant,

Why didn't you buy the silver car on Dupont? Did you see it in person?
Yes, I saw it in person and drove it for over an hour. It had mismatched front/rear tires and the ABS was cutting in like crazy too early (probably because the tires were slightly different sizes although they were stock sizes on stock rims, just different brands).

The car had been to the dealer multiple times for brake issues (prior to the new mismatched tires being mounted). May have been just for squeaking as claimed, but I was concerned that the ABS problem and skittish handling could not be entirely solved by adding proper tires.

The seller's business manager flew into town to meet with me (actual seller too rich and busy to deal with me in person - he also owns MacLaren F1 and many Bentleys) and had to fly out of town again right away and couldn't wait for my scheduled PPI the next day (wanted to check for Type 2 overrevs).

They lowered the price to $60k to compensate for the time crunch (and no ability to get thorough PPI and I just couldn't risk it. Car was probably fine (motor ran like a champ) and I probably blew it, but that's too much money for me to risk future issues.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:24 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
Yes, I saw it in person and drove it for over an hour. It had mismatched front/rear tires and the ABS was cutting in like crazy too early (probably because the tires were slightly different sizes although they were stock sizes on stock rims, just different brands).

The car had been to the dealer multiple times for brake issues (prior to the new mismatched tires being mounted). May have been just for squeaking as claimed, but I was concerned that the ABS problem and skittish handling could not be entirely solved by adding proper tires.
Hmmm....AFAIK, the ABS system can tolerate up to about a 5% difference front to back from the stock sizes. As long as the tire sizes (width and aspect ratio) are like stock, the different brands of tires shouldn't cause that problem because they wouldn't be off by that much. There may be something wrong with the brakes.

Cheers,
Old 11-27-2007, 09:37 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AllanJ
Hmmm....AFAIK, the ABS system can tolerate up to about a 5% difference front to back from the stock sizes. As long as the tire sizes (width and aspect ratio) are like stock, the different brands of tires shouldn't cause that problem because they wouldn't be off by that much. There may be something wrong with the brakes.

Cheers,
Yes, I know about the 5% tolerance. I think it's possible with worn fronts and new rears (of a different brand) that 5% difference could be exceeded. But, still too much uncertainty for me...
Old 11-27-2007, 10:00 PM
jwalton
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

OK here is the buyers perspective. I bought the GT3 that is the topic of this thread. Mr. Boulder Colorado Rennlister is correct. I had an ebay notification email system set up. I have had 2 GT3's before. I know the cars. I have missed my previous cars and knew I wanted one back in my garage. The car had all the right characteristics and PPI done in advance. You run some risk jumping without working the seller to death but much of your research should be done prior to deciding to buy. Then the issues are just car specific. I have bought dozens of cars in my 30 year driving history and you get a 6th sense when it comes to Bull____t from a seller. If I sensed the Bull___t from this seller after hitting the Buy it now I would have bailed ebay contract or no ebay contract. This guy is the real deal..A true gentlemen and a car nut just like me. We even like the same color combinations(we both have other cars in this same color combination). So this thread is very refreshing as confirmation of this guy and this deal. Car to be delivered to me Saturday on the East Coast in Delaware and I cant sleep. Back in the saddle again baby!!! Jon in Delaware
PS I cant believe the price these cars have fallen to. Its a damn shame really. I bought both my previous GT3's used for substantially more than i paid for this car and substantially less then the original owners paid.Then sold them for substantially less than I paid. When will the public wake up to the value these cars offer and stop the insane market adjustment downward.

Quick Reply: Why did I sell the GT3?