Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank case damage or cosmetic issue?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 08:49 PM
Roscoe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont go back to those dopes in that shop.. they should know. I use a 1inch rubber block on my jack.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:54 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by RJFabCab
[B]The car was at a local shop for a tech inspection and while they were loading it onto a nice Rotary lift, I was checking out some of the old P-cars in the shop.

I turn around and guess what I see... the *** of my car is in the air being jacked up by the bottom of the crank case!
I was appealing a Massachusetts RMV emissions dynamometer test waiver when I made the mistake of turning around while they lifted my 964RSA into the air. The head inspector for the state used the front and rear swaybar droplinks on their 4-point hydraulic lift because they couldn't get the arms under the proper chassis jacking points.

Originally Posted by RJFabCab
Should I be worried about the crank case or is this just a cosmetic issue that should never have occurred in the first place?
I would just document the hell out of it and make sure the shop is aware of the problem they caused just in case the crack propagates and you're out $10k for a new crankcase and bottom-end rebuild.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:13 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 202 Posts

Wish I just had that little nick on crankcase I got a few pushed in floorpan putting it on the trailer. How many concourse pt gets taken off for that : ) ?I wouldn't worry about it. Car dings would really bother me though.Regards. mike
Old 10-26-2007, 09:34 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
I would just document the hell out of it and make sure the shop is aware of the problem they caused just in case the crack propagates and you're out $10k for a new crankcase and bottom-end rebuild.
What crack? New Crankcase & bottom end rebuild ? It's a commonly used jacking point that everybody has used.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:58 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike K.
What crack?
RJFabCab called it an indentation but whatever you want to call it, there is a chunk of metal missing.

New Crankcase & bottom end rebuild ?
That is probably the stiffest part of the crankcase? And if it goes you're f*cked.

It's a commonly used jacking point that everybody has used.
And its been known to cause hydraulic motor mounts to fail.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:12 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

RJFabCab called it an indentation but whatever you want to call it, there is a chunk of metal missing.

That is probably the stiffest part of the crankcase? And if it goes you're f*cked.

And its been known to cause hydraulic motor mounts to fail.
It is an indentation. If you don't turn the cup of the jack or place a puck , it happens. It does not lead to a crack.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:56 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks to all for your replies... it's been a bad day at work and I haven't had time to catch up on any of this action!

Anyhow, I know people jack the rear from the case. Heck, I'd probably do it in a pinch if I really had to, but I'm not a fan of stressing the case or the motor mounts like that. Like Jason said, if the case fails, you are F*CKED.

Sure as heck, I would have used a piece of wood or a hockey puck to protect the case.

The indentation is real. The jack clearly dug into the fin of the case. I do think it is cosmetic, but the fact that it even exists just plain p*sses me off.

Everything appears fine, but it's hard to see with all the cosmoline and crap up under there. At first when I reached up under there to feel the indentation, I felt some uneven edges in the case and originally though something might be bent or at risk.

Later, however, I noticed that those ridges I felt were really just edges cast into the case (see the pic 'right side view' in the original link).

Anyhow, thanks for the reassurance and I will surely document this incident.

Cheers
Old 10-27-2007, 03:00 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

That's exactly what I plan to do.

Heck, I can't believe I let my guard down. I WAS in a Porsche shop!!!

Geez, I hate being reminded of why I work on my own cars... if you want it done right, you gotta...

DO IT YOURSELF.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:03 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Roscoe
dont go back to those dopes in that shop.. they should know. I use a 1inch rubber block on my jack.
It was unreal. I was checking out other cars and then it was too late!
Old 10-27-2007, 03:08 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

What crack? New Crankcase & bottom end rebuild ? It's a commonly used jacking point that everybody has used.
Mike, I just can't believe that the guy didn't use a puck or something to protect the case. Bonehead!

I don't see any cracks, but if repetitive nicks and indentations don't add up to case failure, then they sure get my blood pressure up! LOL

It was hard to get a good look last night at the 'dent'. I felt those case ridges and thought something may have been cracked or bent.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:11 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Oak
that dent in the cc looks like about a 10 point deduction on the concourse circuit.
I hate coming in second.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:12 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
very cosmetic.
Thanks, Rad. BTW, that blue jack is the same one I use as a 'helper' jack.

It's light and LOW. Several other jacks I have can't get under the car.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:04 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

I use a very small and affordable jack that gets underneath exactly to that metal jack point. I bought it at PepBoys: Big Red 1 1/2 Ton Aluminum jack, for $70.

After trying many floor jacks (US General, Craftman, etc), this one is my choice, because it fits in the trunk, it is light and it is low.

I have three floor jacks and my GT3 sees the same one Rad pictured. For you Canadians out there, you can find the equivalent jack at Princess Auto.

Cheers,
Old 10-30-2007, 07:55 PM
jrok
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a very small and affordable jack that gets underneath exactly to that metal jack point. I bought it at PepBoys: Big Red 1 1/2 Ton Aluminum jack, for $70.

After trying many floor jacks (US General, Craftman, etc), this one is my choice, because it fits in the trunk, it is light and it is low.

I used those for years, my friends lovingly refer to that jack as the Widow-Maker. I finally broke down and bought some Craftsman jacks with little LED lights -- and then Sears recalled them -- go figure.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:37 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jrok
I used those for years, my friends lovingly refer to that jack as the Widow-Maker. I finally broke down and bought some Craftsman jacks with little LED lights -- and then Sears recalled them -- go figure.
I've heard in a busy shop environment this type (blue jack pictured) can die after a year. As far as the "widow-maker" comment goes - only if you like sticking your head under a car without jack stands. Personally, I wouldn't trust any jack alone.

Cheers,

Quick Reply: Crank case damage or cosmetic issue?