Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got the full "kussmaul" settings - Car feels absolutely nuts now!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 05:31 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts
Talking Finally got the full "kussmaul" settings - Car feels absolutely nuts now!!

So I picked up my car from the shop last night and now I finally have the suspension set to the full Kussmaul specs.
The last time we tried it and couldn't get the front low enough nor the camber to the specs. (couldn't get past -1.4dgr in the front).
That time I (and the shop) didn't know you can rotate the strut studs.

So now it's done and after driving it back home last nite, all I can say is WOW!!!
It completely transformed the feel of the car. The steering and the turn-in is so damn sharp now! It finally feels like what many here have been saying before, sharp as a scalpel, a real precision tool! By all means was it was it bad even before but the difference in the feel is just unbelievable!

I've got -2.8dgr camber in the front since that's the minimum now with the struts rotated. I may get less miles out of the street tires with this setup but I'm willing to sacrifice that for the feel & performance I get in return.

I can't wait for Sunday to take her out on the track again!!! Damn I love this car!

Last edited by Juha G; 10-20-2007 at 01:16 AM.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:16 PM
Jim H.
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I've found that tires make a huge difference. My initial factory alignment felt squirrely and then I went to Kussmaul settings and r compound tires. What a huge difference. I thought it was the alignment but now that I've switched back to the PS2s, I see it was mostly the tires. My car feels sloppy again.

I think the PS2s have a much softer sidewall and contribute much to the unsettled behavior many us have felt in our cars. No doubt a good alignment helps get the car buttoned down but without good tires...I think there is only so much you can do...

YMMV.

Last edited by Jim H.; 10-19-2007 at 07:18 PM. Reason: added info
Old 10-19-2007, 08:28 PM
Supermonkey
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sloppy with PS2's? Something isn't right. My car feels perfect on the PS2's- Sharp and stable. By the way why are you running an R compound tire with the stock suspension components? This adds an incredible amount more load and stress to components that were designed around the PS2 tire.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:43 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,430 Likes on 2,040 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim H.
I've found that tires make a huge difference. My initial factory alignment felt squirrely and then I went to Kussmaul settings and r compound tires. What a huge difference. I thought it was the alignment but now that I've switched back to the PS2s, I see it was mostly the tires. My car feels sloppy again.

I think the PS2s have a much softer sidewall and contribute much to the unsettled behavior many us have felt in our cars. No doubt a good alignment helps get the car buttoned down but without good tires...I think there is only so much you can do...

YMMV.
R comps are the way to go with this car, period! When I have to go back to street tires due to weather conditions, the car feels, slow and clumsy. I know that sounds blasphamous, but the GT3 is entirely transformed by the right rubber.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:43 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Jim, when was the last time you had the car aligned? As I understand it, the suspension on the GT3 is somewhat lively and should be checked quite often.

I'm sure the R-comps make it even better but like Supermonkey said, the suspension was designed around street tires.

Yet, I think the next set I'm gonna put on my BBS wheels is MSPC's., for track use only of course..
Old 10-20-2007, 10:08 AM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I went back to back with PS2s, then switched to cups on the track. It was a world of difference. The car felt more balanced and stable in the fast straights. I hated the car with PS2s.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:41 PM
DavidNR
Rennlist Member

Another happy RK customer! Car looks great with the carbon wing. I want one!!!
Old 10-20-2007, 03:32 PM
Jim H.
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Juha,

Alignment is checked regularly and the last rubber change was immediately noticable in every respect. High speed sweepers, turn in, mid-corner adjustment, etc. all markedly diminshed with PS2s.

SuperM, I think R Comps are perfectly okay with the stock suspension. Slicks are another story...

Cheers.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:40 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Sounds like I have to get some Michelin Pilot Sport Cups on them BBS's...
Old 10-20-2007, 03:43 PM
EdwinLee
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

SuperM,

I've been running Yokohama A-048 R compound for track days and been very pleased with them. The only upgrade I've done to the suspension have been the TRG drop links and rear toe arms.

I don't have slicks because I drive to the track so the A-048 work out well other than the noise.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:03 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I now keep the cups on 24/7.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:18 PM
redcar1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you describe exactly how you rotate the strut studs? I've also read about shims to make 2.5deg possible.
Thanks,
Mark

Originally Posted by Juha G
So I picked up my car from the shop last night and now I finally have the suspension set to the full Kussmaul specs.
The last time we tried it and couldn't get the front low enough nor the camber to the specs. (couldn't get past -1.4dgr in the front).
That time I (and the shop) didn't know you can rotate the strut studs.

So now it's done and after driving it back home last nite, all I can say is WOW!!!
It completely transformed the feel of the car. The steering and the turn-in is so damn sharp now! It finally feels like what many here have been saying before, sharp as a scalpel, a real precision tool! By all means was it was it bad even before but the difference in the feel is just unbelievable!

I've got -2.8dgr camber in the front since that's the minimum now with the struts rotated. I may get less miles out of the street tires with this setup but I'm willing to sacrifice that for the feel & performance I get in return.

I can't wait for Sunday to take her out on the track again!!! Damn I love this car!

Old 10-22-2007, 05:28 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by redcar1
Can you describe exactly how you rotate the strut studs? I've also read about shims to make 2.5deg possible.
Thanks,
Mark
There's a thread on here somewhere regarding rotating the strut tops so just do a search on "rotate struts".
But basically you just drop down the mcphersons, take the bolts on the top off and install them in the other available holes (the strut top has two hole patterns). This will rotate the struts 60 degrees and will make your camber range from approx. -2.5 to -4.0.
This is how the CUP cars come from the factory.
Send me your e-mail address with PM and I can send you the info package I sent to my shop. (a picture and description)
Old 10-22-2007, 06:04 PM
redcar1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PM sent.
Thanks!
Mark

Originally Posted by Juha G
There's a thread on here somewhere regarding rotating the strut tops so just do a search on "rotate struts".
But basically you just drop down the mcphersons, take the bolts on the top off and install them in the other available holes (the strut top has two hole patterns). This will rotate the struts 60 degrees and will make your camber range from approx. -2.5 to -4.0.
This is how the CUP cars come from the factory.
Send me your e-mail address with PM and I can send you the info package I sent to my shop. (a picture and description)
Old 10-23-2007, 01:37 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

What you're feeling are the effects of that wing!

Quick Reply: Finally got the full "kussmaul" settings - Car feels absolutely nuts now!!