Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

do it. good luck with resale.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:25 AM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My old MkI GT3 did not have HID lights, my current RS does have them. Quite honestly, I can hardly tell the difference. Both cars are/were daily drivers. Yes, the Xenons are brighter and whiter, but I never felt I needed more brightness before I had them.

In fact, I have a complaint against the HID units. In order not to blind oncoming drivers, the HID units produce a very sharp cutoff above where they shine. This makes driving on darker roads impossible without using high beams. The halogen units shine more light higher up.

If you drive at night on dark, deserted highways, I can see how the brighter Xenon high beams would be a big advantage at speed. But for regular city driving, halogens are just fine IMHO.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:33 PM
zoomzoom
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the conversion 2 years ago with retrofit HIDs, 28k miles ago with a 4000K digital RF-filtered kit. It took me 40mins in front of the TV, similar process as the 993 retrofit. One of the best practical mods I've done to the car. It's sailed through all MOT tests, aligns perfectly, and the levelling function still works fine. The difference in light output is... night and day.

The electrical draw is actually slightly lower than with standard halogens. There are a lot of kits out there, but some of the best ones are from Korea.

Quick Reply: No litronics on my GT3 - thinking of HID conversion kit