Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of putting vents on my rear bumper. Sorta like 997 GT3. Any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 04:51 AM
datax
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of putting vents on my rear bumper. Sorta like 997 GT3. Any advice?

Have you guys ever touch the side of the rear bumper after hard drivings? It's hot! Probably because exhaust is stuck right there. I guess porshce also learned that and put those huge vents on 997 GT3s.

Anyway, after my car keep exploding the coolent hoses, I've been thinking of putting as much ventilation as possible to wherever that generate excessive heat. It got me started thinking of putting rear bumpers off from 996 turbo or C4S. But, some say won't fit because those cars are wide bodies and mine isn't. Then, I found this guy's picture. Do you guys know how did he make it fit?

If I've no luck with C4S bumper, I'm thinking of putting some vents like these folks. Any idea how hard/easy to get it done? Or, shall I be even be bother? Any inputs appreciated. I'm doing redline time attack end of next month and really worry that car might give up on me again.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:12 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

The Turbo bumper fits but not 100% and the cut outs for the myffler tips have to be changed. Some guys over on the 996 board have done it. There is also aftermarket bumpers with Turbo look that fits the narrow body.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:32 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alledgedly some Germans are fitting the 997 bumper to the 996. Maybe for this reason. I did look for cars with this at the ring the other week but didn't see any.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:06 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Fellow Rennlister "DonW-Cape Cod" has put a Turbo bumper on his 996 Cab.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:37 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just put the FabSpeed Muffler bypass pipes. They decrease engine compartment temperature by 40 degrees (my own test). I had an incident 2 years ago melting my coolant expansion tank, and lubricating the surface at Lime Rock Park.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:54 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

+1......Fabspeed bypass is the way to go!!!!
Old 08-22-2007, 05:02 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

+2...bypass pipes

Trending Topics

Old 08-22-2007, 05:14 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Just put the FabSpeed Muffler bypass pipes. They decrease engine compartment temperature by 40 degrees (my own test). I had an incident 2 years ago melting my coolant expansion tank, and lubricating the surface at Lime Rock Park.
I'm as loud as I want to be on the street with my Cargraphics mufflers. How big a job is it to swap out the bypass pipes for a track event?
Old 08-22-2007, 05:32 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Straight pipes are so loud! I heard they make the car vibrates too. My car is not 100% track car at this point. More like a weekend warrior so can't afford to get into trouble because of the sound. But, making the engine compartment 40 degree cooler is pretty big.

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
I'm as loud as I want to be on the street with my Cargraphics mufflers. How big a job is it to swap out the bypass pipes for a track event?
Sell me your Cargraphics because I love their sound but cannot afford to buy brand new.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:35 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by datax
...Sell me your Cargraphics because I love their sound but cannot afford to buy brand new.
Keep an eye on ebay. I bought these from EBS Racing there.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:19 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

By the way, my rear bumper is melted on the same spot where the 996TT vents are located.

This problem happens to the 996 GT3 only. I have checked the engine compartment temperatures after a track session against a 996TT and a 996 Carrera. The GT3 gets scary hot, but the dashboard gauge reads normal.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:38 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by datax
Straight pipes are so loud! I heard they make the car vibrates too. My car is not 100% track car at this point. More like a weekend warrior so can't afford to get into trouble because of the sound.:
Whatta ya mean get in trouble? I run my pipes on the street all the times. The look on the face of the rice rocket kids is priceless!
Old 08-23-2007, 11:47 AM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Whatta ya mean get in trouble? I run my pipes on the street all the times. The look on the face of the rice rocket kids is priceless!
Same here. And I live in the city, where it echos off the buildings and can set off parked car alarms just by driving by.

When you need to keep the volume down, low rpm will do that. The exception being cold start up, but that doesn't last long (~20 seconds).

At the track (those that don't measure sound), the experience is second to none.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:06 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
So, how big a job is it to swap out the bypass pipes for each track event? I do not want to run them on the street. I've heard them; much too loud for me.

Also, not that I'm a good enough driver, but any thoughts how this sort of mod, the cut-outs, might affect the car's aeros?

Last edited by ltcjmramos; 08-23-2007 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:58 PM
Jim H.
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Swapping out the mufflers is about 15-20 minutes per side if you take your time and be careful not to scrape any paint. Installing the bypass pipes takes 3-5 minutes.

1. jack car up from center rear location and remove wheels.

2. Remove three nuts at the muffler bracket.

3. Loosen the the clamp after the cat on the crossover pipe.

4. Carefully drop down and remove muffler assembly forward through wheel well opening.

5. Slip on and tighten bypass pipes (I angle mine down about 15 degree to keep away from the paint).

6. Replace in reverse order BUT only use the two easily accessible nuts on reassembly and leave off the third (lower) nut if you plan on swapping regularly.

I do it all the time. First time took awhile but now it is a quick operation.

Quick Reply: Thinking of putting vents on my rear bumper. Sorta like 997 GT3. Any advice?