Sponsored by:

So, I spun and hit the guard rail.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 10:27 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd take pictures before you get that repaired, in case it ends up on Carfax. It doesn't look very bad, and it'll probably be better to show a potential future buyer that than to try to convince them that you were in a minor accident without much damage.

More importantly, it's great that you're alright.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:49 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn man sorry to hear.. Glad you are ok, goodluck!!
Old 07-30-2007, 01:12 AM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bugger!

Scott
Old 07-30-2007, 12:26 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input guys.

Originally Posted by WHB Porsche
I'd take pictures before you get that repaired, in case it ends up on Carfax. It doesn't look very bad, and it'll probably be better to show a potential future buyer that than to try to convince them that you were in a minor accident without much damage.

More importantly, it's great that you're alright.
Thanks for the advice. Will keep the pictures of the damage on file. Car drive straight and fine. Since no airbags went out, I believe no frame damage or anything major. But, will check the front radiator and its support brackets to be safe. Since I have $1000 deductible with Geico, I'm even thinking of getting a non-oem parts (such as Mashaw front bumper and fenders) to save some $$ and weight. Still thinking tho.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:48 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I know that exit ramp well.

I have a feeling you accelerated while hydroplaning- I did that in my SC on the on ramp to 66 East off RT50.

Nice pic of your car in front of the red door! My favorite restaurant in probably where you took the picture, Colvin run
Old 07-30-2007, 10:08 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Wink Hmmmmmm

Originally Posted by WHB Porsche
I'd take pictures before you get that repaired, in case it ends up on Carfax. It doesn't look very bad, and it'll probably be better to show a potential future buyer that than to try to convince them that you were in a minor accident without much damage...
Errrrrr.... Knowing Kan; by the time he decides (if ever) to sell that GT3, there will be no need to check the CarFax. It will be "well used"!

Did you see his M3(E46)?
Old 08-06-2007, 08:00 AM
DEMON
3rd Gear

Ken, sorry to hear about your misfortune...these cars take time to get used to...whole reason I have not flashed it yet...why hurry! I also got caughtin the rain yesterday and was nervouse but the car was excellent and got me home safely...hope you are going to be OK and the car can be fixed...main thing is that your fine.

M
Old 08-06-2007, 05:05 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ///Mous3
Errrrrr.... Knowing Kan; by the time he decides (if ever) to sell that GT3, there will be no need to check the CarFax. It will be "well used"!

Did you see his M3(E46)?
My M3 is a tough solider. Well tuned BMW can take on anything regardless of its age. You just have to know what to mod and stuff.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:37 AM
RK1
Instructor

Ken,
Just to know exactly where. Did you mean to say 66 West and NOT 66 East.
If so, I know that double lane exit, well.
Multiple problems ....
1) Because it is uphill and off camber a bit, water drains in a wierd way.
2) Lain paint is slippery.
3) To let off ...... Weight transfers forward, You gain front traction and lose rear traction.
4) No Stability managment in 996 GT3.
5) Idiots on the road ( Like the one you discribed ).

Add them all up and you get ........

I have had a similar experiance on T9 Summit Point. Give the car in fron of me plenty of distance but he let off almost at the exit of T9. I hade four choices.
Pinch the corner and go rigth, open it up and go off on left ( ARMCO ) , Rear end ( hit him ) or let off.
The rear left is so loaded up towards the exit of T9 that even a small amount of lift will cause a spin.

In that video, you notice he is crusing, he should be on the throtel.

Anyway ......

The upside is .
1) You are OK.
2) The damage is minor.
3) Take lots of pictures ( Good advise )
4) Take it to the best damn body shop in our area. (Wagon Works ). $$$$$$$ But they are the best.

I'm NOT affaliated with them in any shape or form. Just a VERY happy client.

K
Old 08-07-2007, 08:05 AM
stuart_w
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any advice on how to drive a GT3 in the rain (safely) and why are they worse than a 996 C2? You have got me worried about my new GT3 purchase.

PS sorry but glad to see you have found an upside from the spill
Old 08-07-2007, 04:12 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 659 Likes on 354 Posts

When I spun at Sebring (T10) I also had trouble restarting the car. I took some solace in the fact that corner workers where there to warn the cars behind me. I can imagine how you were freaking out that cars on the public road might run into you.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:15 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Mark,
Freaking out is understated. I really thought that I was done considering a lot of big trucks (18 wheelers) use Route 66 West and I could easily be spun into or underneath them. Next time if someone cut me off at last second on a twisty or hilly roads, I think I'm just gonna run into back of whoever cut me off rather than lift off, brake and let the car spun into unknown. Seems like that is the best option as spinning across the highway with engine dead is not very fun.

Originally Posted by stuart_w
any advice on how to drive a GT3 in the rain (safely) and why are they worse than a 996 C2? You have got me worried about my new GT3 purchase.

PS sorry but glad to see you have found an upside from the spill
I guess you just have to be cautious with everything around you. As far as I experience (some may disagree), GT3 has no room for error. It wants to go mad if you do something odd.

Originally Posted by RK1
Ken,
Just to know exactly where. Did you mean to say 66 West and NOT 66 East.
If so, I know that double lane exit, well.

K
RK,
You're right. 495 coming from Tyson Corner to the 66 west towards Front Royal. It's double lane, uphill exit just like that turn at Spa with a lot of water running water down on a concret and partial tarmac surface. Be careful there. People don't care and decide to do whatever. Either they can't see from their SUVs with super tinted windows or they just don't bother because they drive an SUV.

Last edited by datax; 08-08-2007 at 01:03 AM.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:49 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

What to do if you need to slow down in a curve:

1. Straighten out the steering (this means on the street always take the inside line)
2. Gently ease up off the gas.
3. Gently get on the brakes.
4. Once you are slow enough get back to turning with gentle gas.

I suggest a winter driving school on snow/ice. The skill that you will learn is the reflexive straightening of the steering wheel when braking or slowing down to fight understeer. The same reflex can prevent terminal oversteer.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:05 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by amaist
What to do if you need to slow down in a curve:

1. Straighten out the steering (this means on the street always take the inside line)
2. Gently ease up off the gas.
3. Gently get on the brakes.
4. Once you are slow enough get back to turning with gentle gas.

I suggest a winter driving school on snow/ice. The skill that you will learn is the reflexive straightening of the steering wheel when braking or slowing down to fight understeer. The same reflex can prevent terminal oversteer.
Winter driving in my G35 with the wrong tires and my ex M3 gave me crazy reflex and skill, you are right!

Where do they have driving schools in those conditions though?
Old 08-08-2007, 10:36 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
When I spun at Sebring (T10) I also had trouble restarting the car. I took some solace in the fact that corner workers where there to warn the cars behind me. I can imagine how you were freaking out that cars on the public road might run into you.
Same thing happened to me on track (only spun it once so far, first time out no less)...car spun, engine died, sat there for what seemed like an eternity watching other cars come over a small hill and miss me by inches as the car refused to refire.

I'm told it's an OBD issue and they all run diagnostics if the engine suddenly dies before it'll let you restart it.

Quick Reply: So, I spun and hit the guard rail.