Sponsored by:

Pagid brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007 | 07:28 PM
frafoss
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rassel
Tack bara bra

Don't know about the RS19 + RS4-4 combo. Many here seem to run RS19/RS14 as a combo. I run RS29 all the way.
Are you satisfied with th RS29? What about pros and cons?

Are using Performance friction compound 97 now. Satisfied with the brake bit and modulation, but they make a lot of dust which is very difficult to clean.
Old 07-23-2007 | 11:47 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I went from the 19/29 at all 4 corners to replacing the rear with the 14's and got a much more balanced braking. Worth trying it at least one time so you actually feel the difference.
Old 07-23-2007 | 01:19 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Have not had any issues with the RS29/RS19 themselves, several Porsche endurance teams runs them - so they can swap discs and pads at the same time. However, those cars are in general lighter than the street Porsche's. It's not really a pad made for sprint races. This is how Pagid describe the friction differences between the pads. Of course, they didn't put any scale on the Y-axis... *sigh* In general, they have less friction the RS14 and the wear rate on discs and pads are lower.

Since your car is fitted with ABS, brake balance will be a function of the ABS and not a bias bar system. The results of putting RS14 in the rear can be discussed, but as long as the ABS doesn't interact, you'll get more brake power in the rear due to higher friction. Don't know how you drive, so I can't tell how it will perform for you. RS14 is usually 10-20% cheaper and it's also cheaper for the rear calipers, so Dell's suggestion could be worth a try.

Before you go and buy a set of calipers. Check with Porsche Motorsport - new calipers are not as expensive as one might think.

Dust, you need to get used to it, just don't inhale it....
Old 07-23-2007 | 02:31 PM
frafoss
Instructor

The best thing about driving is turns and braking. Since my car isn't the most powerfull turning and braking are the areas I make up time against more powerfull car and can follow them/go faster. My original brakes with Performance frictions pads works well, but they start giving away after 4-5 laps (depending of track of course) Thats why I'm changing to some bigger brakes now.

I think I brake later and harder than many, so its important that both front and rear brakes are effective without the rear end is chipping away.

I'm also changing to Michelin Cups now.
Old 07-23-2007 | 03:18 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Your car IS powerful. Don't get fooled by just looking at Porsches

4-5 Laps on with standard sounds a little bit low to be honest..

Well, heat is then your enemy.

A.) Run correct racing pads.
B.) When you brake, brake hard, short and consistently. Soft, long and inconsistent on the brakes makes them warmer.
C.) Check if can mount some cooling for the brakes! This can really help.
D.) Fluid makes a difference, perhaps not as much as most people wish, but it does.
E.) Make sure to bleed the brakes
F.) Don't forget about braking in new pads. If you also frequently run on them on the street - brake them in again before heading for track.

If you got all covered and still got overheating problems, swap to bigger brakes could be helpful.

Rear end chipping away could have several causes. One is a rear brake bias when trailbraking, another is poor alignment.
Old 07-23-2007 | 03:47 PM
frafoss
Instructor

Smile

Originally Posted by Rassel
Your car IS powerful. Don't get fooled by just looking at Porsches

4-5 Laps on with standard sounds a little bit low to be honest..

Well, heat is then your enemy.

A.) Run correct racing pads.
B.) When you brake, brake hard, short and consistently. Soft, long and inconsistent on the brakes makes them warmer.
C.) Check if can mount some cooling for the brakes! This can really help.
D.) Fluid makes a difference, perhaps not as much as most people wish, but it does.
E.) Make sure to bleed the brakes
F.) Don't forget about braking in new pads. If you also frequently run on them on the street - brake them in again before heading for track.

If you got all covered and still got overheating problems, swap to bigger brakes could be helpful.

Rear end chipping away could have several causes. One is a rear brake bias when trailbraking, another is poor alignment.
Thanks again for all your advices. Norwegians always have nice thought about Swedish

A) PFB pads are good and have good reputation
B) I do so, (I belive)
C) GT3 brake shields is mounted for a week ago
D) Castrol SRF
E) Changes twice a year
F) Haven't done this every time, will do so in the future

Swapping now. Brakes as mentioned before are ordered. I'm usually trailbraking and haven't experienced any problems with to much rear bias so far. Alignment is the revised 997GT3 specs, done in may this year.

Quick Reply: Pagid brake pads