Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going in for track alignment and corner balancing...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 04:13 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Going in for track alignment and corner balancing...

I'm about to bring the GT3 in to have it corner balanced and aligned... I'm planning on aligning to the "Kussumaul" settings and will also have them install my TRG rear toe-links.

A friend of mine mentioned to have the car corner balanced with me in it...

Any other recommendations regarding the alignment or corner balancing? This car has become my 90% track car/10% street as I only drive it on the street to get to the track or to take it for service.

Thanks,
-Blake
Old 07-16-2007, 04:26 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Figuratively not literally with you in it. When Synergy Racing CB'd my car they assumed a 200# driver.

As far as the alignment, understand that the K settings are not the be all end all. They are a compromise and a good starting point. You need to set it up and then have a good floggin' with the car at the track and then dial it in. It will take several iterations to get it just right.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:33 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Ah -that makes sense! (figuratively)

I only run the car at one track (MMP in Utah) so expect these guys to have first-hand knowledge as the owner of the shop races his 996 Cup in the POC league. My last alignment was at the dealer, but I must say that my tire wear on the track has been quite even...

Thanks,
-B
Old 07-16-2007, 04:35 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Old 07-16-2007, 05:24 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Doesn't Synergy have a shop at MMP as well??
I seem to remember hearing something about that.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:31 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Eddie, you are correct. They also have a place at Mid-Ohio.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:05 PM
Austin
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

0 front toe and 2-3mm rear toe (per rear wheel) the car will really turn in and get fast on the straights. I can't recall the Kus' toe settings, I think they were very similar.

Go for -2 or more degrees camber front and -2.5 or more rear.

That's the recommendation from our 996GT3 track car settings.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:19 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Eddie & Dell - I had no idea Synergy was at MMP! I am half embarrased and half flipping-out excited! I have already left them a voicemail...

Austin - Thanks for posting those figures. You mentioned the front and rear toe specifications over the phone a few weeks back, and I still have that data on a post it note... I'm looking forward to getting this car dialed-in...

Thanks,
-Blake
Old 07-16-2007, 10:40 PM
Modoc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 94Speedster
Eddie & Dell - I had no idea Synergy was at MMP! I am half embarrased and half flipping-out excited! I have already left them a voicemail...

Austin - Thanks for posting those figures. You mentioned the front and rear toe specifications over the phone a few weeks back, and I still have that data on a post it note... I'm looking forward to getting this car dialed-in...

Thanks,
-Blake

I talked to one of the Synergy guys at the F1 race last month and he mentioned that they were now at MMP. Another interesting thing in the works is a planned drivers training classes in 08. at MMP . More info to come from Synergy.

Joe D
Old 07-17-2007, 12:39 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

That is great news! Thanks for the update!

-B
Old 07-17-2007, 05:01 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

UPDATE: I was able to talk to Synergy in NC this afternoon, and they did relate that my GT3 can be serviced at their facilities at MMP. I am so appreciative to you guys as I was not aware that Synergy had a place in Utah. Furthermore, I have been on the fence regarding renting a garage at the track for $500+/mo over a 12 month lease. Sure, I can store both 911s there over the winter, but that is a bit pricey as I could easily apply that $6K to other mods!!!! With this synergy news, I am now 99% sure that I want to commit...

I have canceled my appointment with the local guys (who btw have been "trying" to fit me in since April to no avail), and am now quite pleased to take the car to a "GT3 ONLY" shop... This is very cool, as I know of several GT3 owners who take their cars down to Las Vegas to a respected GT3 Cup shop, though the 400 mile trip each way leaves a lot to be desired.

My rationalization? I am saving on an SUV and trailer (for the Vegas trips), and can now "budget" that money to the garage at MMP. Don't you just love these types of rationalizations?

Thanks Dell and smlporsche! I am flipping out right now!

-B
Old 07-17-2007, 05:05 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

This is very cool, as I know of several GT3 owners who take their cars down to Las Vegas to a respected GT3 Cup shop, though the 400 mile trip each way leaves a lot to be desired.
Wouldnt' happen to be Premier Sportscar Service would it?

Thanks Dell and smlporsche! I am flipping out right now!

-B
Very welcome! Glad you have a new home to service your car. I also love the fact they they only will work on GT3's!
Old 07-17-2007, 05:16 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
Wouldnt' happen to be Premier Sportscar Service would it? Very welcome! Glad you have a new home to service your car. I also love the fact they they only will work on GT3's!
Yes - Kent is the man. I spoke to him several times on the phone, but have yet to check out his shop. I keep forgetting that you lived in Las Vegas!

The "GT3 Only" thing really gets me excited as well. 24 months ago, we did not have a track in Utah and I was a pent up, frustrated wanna-be DE guy... I can't believe how far we have come!

Thanks again for the inputs. Rennlist rocks!

-B
Old 07-17-2007, 05:21 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I keep forgetting that you lived in Las Vegas!
PLEASE DON'T REMIND ME

Kent is awesome! He used to be at the track all the time when I was out there. Not driving, just handing out. And on top of that.....always lending a hand in the paddock to cars that needed troubleshooting and wouldn't ever charge a thing.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:07 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

No problemo...

Quick Reply: Going in for track alignment and corner balancing...