What's CPO worth?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 08:30 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by fhp911
what is 'CPO'?

The link in mxdave74's earlier post describes CPO.

Thanks to everybody for your help.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:52 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,654 Likes on 2,325 Posts

cpo= certified pre-owned
yes, dell is right as usual, you have to sell the car to dealer (they need to have it in inventory), do some obligatory but useless checks and tell porsche that the car is ok for CPO. then you pay for CPO, the labor they spent on checking the car out, and buy it back from dealer. usually for this trouble, dealer may charge you 1-2k on top of the cost of CPO.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:05 AM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Another cost factor can be the tires. Depending on the dealership, if the tires don't meet their standards they will put a new set on to go along with the extended warranty.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:50 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Don't forget that it is like buying another car not your old car and you will have to pay taxes.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:10 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So what do you guys think regarding having a "friendly" dealer do the CPO? Is it worth it for two years of "extra" warranty?

Here are the costs as I see them:
$1.5-2.5K for the CPO
$1-$2K for dealer profit and trouble
$4-5K in taxes

Looks like the total cost would be $6.5-$9K...

-B

Last edited by blake; 07-17-2007 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:31 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by enthusiast
Another cost factor can be the tires. Depending on the dealership, if the tires don't meet their standards they will put a new set on to go along with the extended warranty.
+1. Champion Porsche did the CPO for my car and they threw in the new tires to meet minimum standard from Porsche. If I decided to buy the car without it, I would have missed that action.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:54 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 94Speedster
So what do you guys think regarding having a "friendly" dealer do the CPO? Is it worth it for two years of "extra" warranty?

$1.5-2.5K for the CPO
$4-5K in taxes

-B
The way you do it is not that scenario Blake. You have your dealer act as a "pass-through" during a sale so the car gets credited toward the tax bill and the dealer (being cool with it) allows you to "pass through" the dealer so it can be CPO'd. This would need to take place when you are selling your car to be CPO'd to a potential buyer or the other way around and when a new car is being purchased from that dealer (tax credit).

Other than that, not worth it at all.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:34 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,654 Likes on 2,325 Posts

dell's tax credit scenario works, except in the republic of ca.
if you want to put CPO on YOUR OWN car, not worth it due to tax.
if you are BUYING the car from someone, then agree on the price X, have the dealer pay seller X, he's off the hook, then you buy/lease/finance from dealer at price X, then you can pay the add'l $$$ for cpo and so forth. you can even wrap those fees into the purchase price such that it is X+CPO fee.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:46 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

sucks to live in Kalefornia
Old 07-17-2007, 03:56 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 94Speedster

$1.5-2.5K for the CPO
$4-5K in taxes

-B
$4k/yr for a warranty seems really pricey to me. Also, keep in mind that the warranty may be worth zero if the dealer or PCNA decide you tracked the car if it needs some type of major repair.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:54 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good point Holger. That is what I am thinking as well... I think I will pass on the CPO-route and all of the hassles and cash associated with getting done on a car I already own...

-B
Old 07-18-2007, 04:26 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

well -- I sure know a lot about CPO now! [probably more than I want to.]

Does Porsche sell an extended warranty to cover the car after the original 4-yr warranty expires?
Old 07-18-2007, 04:36 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts

I bought one through my local Porsche dealer. Since my late wife loved her Jag's, we always had extended warranty coverage on them. I bought those policies online at a reasonable price. However, now in CA, it's difficult to buy one through an independent as many companies no longer write coverage here due to "consumer-friendly" legislation. The price I paid was about double what I was used to paying, but I'll enjoy the peace of mind until/if I have to fight for a covered loss.

BTW, the dealer supplied coverage required having 7 months left on the OE warranty.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:00 PM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The CPO got my GT3 totaled since Porsche would have been on the hook for warranty repairs to the engine that the dealer would have repaired. Most would agree that slamming the engine into a wall at 70 mph would cause some damage not initially repaired with the fire damage. Flat spotted bearing, things like that!

USAA said if the engine was replaced, they would total the car. When the salesman told the MX guys it was a CPO it went from repairable to a replacement, hence totaled.

Can't say I blame them. I had no problem with the body damage being made almost as good as new, but the engine on these cars are a little more complex. Money wise I think they did the correct thing.

That being said, I'd insist on a CPO. It is a wise investment. I got one for the replacement C4!!

Quick Reply: What's CPO worth?