PCCB is making me NUTS!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 02:02 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCCB is making me NUTS!!

Guys,

My PCCBs are making a lot of squeals when you step on the brake and even if you don't, you can hear this slight (pads and rotor contact) sound coming only from the right front. It's making me crazy! Because brake squeals the loudest mostly during city drivings, I get so embarrassed while driving around parking lots and/or small roads with lots of stop signs. HELP! I re-bedded the brakes and it went away for awhile but they are back again!

Is there any other local guys around with PCCBs come see whether it's normal or little bit excessive? Are there any other brake pads (right now I'm using Pagids) that I could switch? Is there such thing as putting an anti-squeal on ceramics? I've never owned a car with ceramics before so bare with my rookie questions.

Regards,
Ken

P.S- Brakes are terrible in the rain, by the way. Or, may be because I'm not used to them. The feel of the brakes in the dry verses wet is SO big that I feel like there's something wrong with them.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:15 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

It sounds like you are mollycoddling your brakes.

Number 1 - give your brakes an Italian tune up

Number 2 - what do you mean by 'terrible' in the wet?

You 'may' have somethoing trapped or misaligned to cause the sound you hear from the right front (it may not even be the brakes)

Are you differentiating between te3rrible brakes and poor grip?

As a general observation, make a habit of drying your brakes when driving in the wet. Can you explain what you mean by terrible?

R+C
Old 06-29-2007, 02:50 PM
stuka
Pro

Yep.

I have been driving my GT2 a lot in traffic, and it squeals like a FedEx truck.

It just needs an Italian tune up, and I keep hoping that traffic will clear for me to do some high speed braking... Hasn't happened yet.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:49 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Italian tune up?? What's that??

When I say terrible in the rain, don't think that they are terrible in general. It just that feel of the braking dropped so much compare to when it's dry and hot. The difference is so huge that it made me feel something went wrong. So, no suggestions of new pads?
Old 06-29-2007, 06:00 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Italian tune up is an old saying, it means drive the car hard.

In your case, go out and do a succession of high speed stops. This will heat up the pads and rotors and deposit pad material on the rotors. The friction which slows the car is between the pad and pad material which has been deposited on the rotor, not on the rotor itself. Street driving with gentle brake applications will wear off the deposited pad material. This can cause squeal and reduced stopping performance. Correct this by re-bedding the pads. You can find instructions on bedding pads on the www.pagidusa.com web site.

On the other hand is it possible that you did a bunch of hard stops when the pads and rotors were brand new? If so, it is possible that you have glazed the pads (think a glass like surface). This reduces the friction a lot and the solution is new pads which should be properly broken in.

Lastly have you checked to see if the holes in the rotors are plugged with pad material? This will cause noise and poor braking especially in the wet. If so, clean out the holes pronto.

Regards,
Old 06-29-2007, 06:05 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Italian Tune Up = drive the **** off it - get the brakes warm and keep braking and accelerating, you will find that the noise goes away - do not hold the car stationary with your foot on the brake pedal, however.

As far as the braking performance in the wet goes, what is the limiting factor? Does the ABS system cut in prematurely, do the callipers lack gripping power, do you reach the limits of the contact patch sonner than expected, does there appear to be a delay before the brakes start working?

When the ABS cuts in, double the force you apply to the brake pedal, do NOT back out of the brakes, redoiuble the force you apply.

Whilst you are at it, examine the brake pads, check their thickness, examine the rotors for cracking, flaking and scoring.

R+C
Old 06-29-2007, 06:28 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by datax
Guys,

My PCCBs are making a lot of squeals when you step on the brake and even if you don't, you can hear this slight (pads and rotor contact) sound coming only from the right front. It's making me crazy! Because brake squeals the loudest mostly during city drivings, I get so embarrassed while driving around parking lots and/or small roads with lots of stop signs. HELP! I re-bedded the brakes and it went away for awhile but they are back again!

Is there any other local guys around with PCCBs come see whether it's normal or little bit excessive? Are there any other brake pads (right now I'm using Pagids) that I could switch? Is there such thing as putting an anti-squeal on ceramics? I've never owned a car with ceramics before so bare with my rookie questions.

Regards,
Ken

P.S- Brakes are terrible in the rain, by the way. Or, may be because I'm not used to them. The feel of the brakes in the dry verses wet is SO big that I feel like there's something wrong with them.
Embarrassed? You're driving a GT3 not a Lexus. The brakes are going to make a little noise.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:26 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine sounds like a metro city bus as well, but they stop like no other!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-29-2007, 11:36 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

When I do a lot of city driving (no PCCB on my car), the brake squeal is much more offensive to bystanders & other cars than my muffler bypass pipes...and I love it!

Two ways to eliminate squeal: rebed or wash the car (the rust on the rotors gets rid of the glaze).
Old 06-30-2007, 08:18 AM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pagid have no braked pad for the PCCB what i know of...
Old 06-30-2007, 08:40 AM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Squeals, clunks, jerks, grinds, rattles...
Now; that's what I call character!
Talk about "connected"...
Old 06-30-2007, 11:46 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Holger B
Two ways to eliminate squeal: rebed or wash the car (the rust on the rotors gets rid of the glaze).
Ceramics don't rust...
Old 06-30-2007, 08:06 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Sloth
Ceramics don't rust...
Obviously.

I was relaying my experience for my non-PCCB car which others may find useful.

Do pads rust? I have no idea if they do or if it would also effectively rebed PCCB's.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:23 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickard 993 Turbo
Pagid have no braked pad for the PCCB what i know of...
Pagid is the manufacture of the pads used on the PCCBs.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:11 AM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob in VA
Pagid is the manufacture of the pads used on the PCCBs.
They do not have any aftermakrked PAds for the PCCB

Quick Reply: PCCB is making me NUTS!!