Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996GT3 As good as they say it is.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007 | 12:01 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by ///Mous3
Statement like that just shows how intelligent you are comparing to, let's limit comparison to, the BMW Motorsport.
This doesn't make grammatical sense.
Old 06-07-2007 | 12:03 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by datax
Also, was there any understeer? I would imagine it would have a lot since it has a factory camber settings.
He has the Roland Kussmaul track alignment. It used to be Bob Rouleau's car.
Old 06-07-2007 | 04:21 AM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by amaist
I think 50/50 has it's place. It is more forgiving of bad weight transfer mistakes.
I don't think a GT3 is a very good beginner track car. Doesn't mean that I am totally against starting out this hobby with a GT3.
But it's a real hoot once you have some sort of an idea about driving a car. Not that Porsche is going to call on me to drive their Le Mans race car but at least I have seen where the track is.

Next stop is Tremblant July 2nd. Can't wait to get there.
Now that the wedding is out of the way I going to enjoy this summer
BMW in general and its 50/50 makes most drivers look like heros.

Whereas the sledge hammer makes most drivers look like dumb ***** compares to M3 drivers of the same talent.

Of course, once learned, GT3 is much much faster.
Old 06-07-2007 | 06:03 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Wow...I don't even know what to say.
?!!
Old 06-07-2007 | 11:06 AM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stuka
BMW in general and its 50/50 makes most drivers look like heros.

Whereas the sledge hammer makes most drivers look like dumb ***** compares to M3 drivers of the same talent.

Of course, once learned, GT3 is much much faster.
The 50/50 helps with quick corner entry. If I go in too fast I can deal with it with less drama. In the GT3 you need to learn the proper entry speed slowly. But exiting the corner I could really put the hammer down which I could never do in the M3. Especially in the rain. I don't think it takes less talent to drive either one quickly. Both need skill to go fast. I would guess the M3 is easier at intermediate level but once you ratchet up the speed either one needs full attention.

Nice review. Did you try trail braking? I'm curious how the car with a lot of weight in the rear will behave when braking into the apex. Also, was there any understeer? I would imagine it would have a lot since it has a factory camber settings. Can't wait to put mine on the track and try new things. I recently bought a white GT3 from FL and car is arriving sometime next week.
Yes ,I trail braked into tight corners. This allowed faster entry speeds as the front had the grip to go to the apex. There are enough hairpins at Calabogie to practice that. I would expect that in the rain from a rear engined car. Understeer/oversteer was controllable by throttle inputs. The car responds very intuitively was a lot of fun to drive this way. In the slower corners I was brave enough to induce a bit of sliding at it was very easy to control the amount of sliding.

As it was mentioned I had the super duper track alignment that is supposed to be the cat's pajamas. And yes, it was the bee's knees Thanks Bob, for setting up the car for me
Old 06-07-2007 | 11:32 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Originally Posted by amaist
The 50/50 helps with quick corner entry. If I go in too fast I can deal with it with less drama. In the GT3 you need to learn the proper entry speed slowly. But exiting the corner I could really put the hammer down which I could never do in the M3. Especially in the rain. I don't think it takes less talent to drive either one quickly. Both need skill to go fast. I would guess the M3 is easier at intermediate level but once you ratchet up the speed either one needs full attention.
Correctomundo!

If we toss out driver skills, the optimum is quite different between a 911 and a M3. Both with pro's and cons. Major difference is of course the 911 has its engine behind the driver making a 50/50 WD a disaster for it. A rear bias WD will be able to brake later in and accelerate quicker out from corners.

If we don't include aerodynamically biased vehicles (like F1) since they have several more variables in aero setup and often are limited due to regulations rather than design - mid and rear engine cars with RWD will have a definite bias towards the rear. Even some front engine with RWD benefit from rear bias. Most successful atm would probably the ProDrive 550 where they move from the production cars 50/50 to a rear bias on the race cars. Talking about FWD and AWD cars this would be a bit different

Still the WD is so dependent on track design and race regulations it makes it very hard to optimize. For a 50/50 design to be optimum it requires all wheels to be the same size, same grip, same suspension, equivalent aerodynamics and of course a track where lateral and longitudinal G's that makes corner speed superior to deceleration and acceleration. Then there are some other variables to include to this if someone wants to go into details..

Oh, and if someone would have doubts about this. Give BMW Motorsports a call and ask for their chassi gurus, I'm sure if you're "intelligent" enough they'll either explain it or forward you to one of the race suspension manufacturers and they'll explain it to you why a 50/50 WD in general is nonsense and dependent of vehicle design... If they somehow would find you to be an idiot, try Lotus who put 38% WD in front of the Exige. If they don't want to talk to you either, try Ferrari ask them about the 430 Challenge WD. If they don't try... ah well you get the picture..
Old 06-07-2007 | 02:57 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Question Question.

Originally Posted by Rassel
Correctomundo!...
What were your lap times in your GT3?

Last edited by ///Mous3; 06-07-2007 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-07-2007 | 02:58 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
This doesn't make grammatical sense.
That's because I didn't write it in Canadian.
Old 06-07-2007 | 05:45 PM
Rassel
Drifting

What were your lap times in your GT3?
What lap times?
Old 06-07-2007 | 05:56 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Andrei.....loving that new avitar from your recent track day!
Old 06-07-2007 | 06:12 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

That's because I didn't write it in Canadian.
I was referring to English.
Old 06-07-2007 | 06:32 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Canuck .. it must be a side effect of having the engine in front of /// cars
Old 06-09-2007 | 04:55 PM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
I NEED one.
+1
Old 06-10-2007 | 12:56 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

In my GT3 I use the AC off switch as kind of a Nitrous boost. sorta

Amaist Congrats on your new car-although I find it unfair to have Bob's sorted out car as your first GT3. I believe EVERYONE in his family is an expert Porsche driver. there are rumours that even his Dog is a a qualified race car driver!!
Old 06-11-2007 | 12:29 AM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OldGuy
In my GT3 I use the AC off switch as kind of a Nitrous boost. sorta

Amaist Congrats on your new car-although I find it unfair to have Bob's sorted out car as your first GT3. I believe EVERYONE in his family is an expert Porsche driver. there are rumours that even his Dog is a a qualified race car driver!!
There is some truth to that....there are other talented drivers in the family "ahem". As for the dog, it's only partially true...her name is Porscha but she's not actually his dog...his step kids are allergic to dogs...

Quick Reply: 996GT3 As good as they say it is.