Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Post track spin food for thought

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007 | 07:46 PM
Horizontally Opposed Man
Rennlist Member

Default Toyo's

wouldn't pretend to know that much about it but the car is more stable and quicker with the monoball rear suspension and the Toyo's.I have noticed that a lot of the cup teams tend to overtire the rear and perhaps the change in spring rate gives a bit more grip?cheers TVTH
Old 06-03-2007 | 07:52 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Did you try anything else after you changed your suspension bits or did you go with the RA-1's exclusively after the changes? If you have only run 1 tire (or not) have you thought about trying anything else? The NT01 is a great tire and properly sized (same compound as RA-1) and the Hoosier R6 is superior to all of them (including the MPSC).
Old 06-03-2007 | 09:27 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Default Spining

I just had my first spin yesterday at Lime Rock- actually 2nd if I count when a person put fluid all over the track. Spins are usually a combination or errors and not a single factor. I my case I trace the problem that my tires (MPSC) were not warmed up enough and some how the left rear tire had 4 extra lbs - I think. So, here are some of the things I did wrong. First, my first green lap (warmup lap) & first of the day was 1:04 which is fast for an initial lap for me - Mistake #1. Why was I going so fast -- I was following a formula car - Mistake #2. Typically when I follow cars I do not realize my speed and drive my fastest laps. Looking at the data I entered Big Bend 66 mph vs 62 mph from the previous lap. If my tires were up to pressure that would not been an issue, but they were not up to temp after I checked the tires and I probably did not take much air out of the tire that was +4 lbs higher than the other tires. When I took the temps 3 of the tires were between 30-31 lbs hot and they should have been around 35 lbs hot. Left left rear was 35 lbs which is probably the tire that broke away.

Another mistake is when I did the correction I did not "Pause" long enough. I got a couple of chances to save it, but I was not successful.

So, I really felt like a Putz for spinning at basically the 2nd lap before I warmed up. With all of my experience I should have known better.

A driver should be able to find the limits without spinning. As other individuals started in most DE's 2 spins and you go home. The good news is I was lucky and only lost a few screws from the front splitter.

Below is the link from my video and if the link does not work go to to YouTube and search on Lime Rock Spin GT3
http://youtube.com/watch?v=n6v9dieDrN8
Old 06-04-2007 | 08:13 PM
asdspeed
Intermediate

Default Spinning/Mooty friend

That was me that John was refering to spinning.John and I were at T-hill on my last run of the day in the advanced class.I was half way in to the session and I was exiting turn 2 doing 90mph and the car gave very little warning when it started to spin,I have been very side ways in alot of cars including that one but never at that speed I almost saved it but I was concerned about the Z06 I had passed the turn before. I run Yokohama's and I love them.I have the cup toe links Motons, roll bar by Tcdesign Hans pro racer spg recaro seats 18X12CCW rear and 18X9 in front. The alignment was done by them also I believe 2.75 in front and 2.25 in rear. CTO3911 I believe it's good thing to spin once in a while it either means you are driving 10/10ths all the time or it means you made a big mistake never the less it's a learning your limits.

Quick Reply: Post track spin food for thought