Sponsored by:

Why did you buy a GT3 rather than the Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 03:24 AM
stuka
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by datax
Thanks for the inputs, fellas. You guys are seriously making me wanna get the 3 instead of TT. I'm looking at this 2004 GT3 in white with PCCB down in FL.
Take it from me, a former TT owner, it's boring, and it drives itself.

I can't do without the torque, so GT2 it is for me.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:18 AM
Blacksport350
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stuka
BMW reall has lost their ways. The new M3 at 3600 pounds. WTF!?

50/50 weight distribution is for sissies anyway. I have tasted the sledge hammer, and I am a believer.

That's an awesome post!

I have had 4 M Cars and unless they remove their heads from their hind sections, I will not own another one!

Question: How do you ruin a perfectly engineered V10?

Answer: Stick it in a chassis clad with the world's ugliest bodywork and interior, then add so much electronic junk that it takes 10 minutes to figure out how to start the car and turn on the radio.

Actually, I really do like the new M5 and M6 but not enough to buy them. I am hoping that the new M3 will bring some life back into the M line but only time will tell.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:42 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 1,991 Posts

Like my screen name says, I love the M3. It is a wonderful compromise vehicle that can kick some butt and still take the family out, but for a true sports car, I had to go with the GT3. It compromises nothing.

I'll consider the new M3, but not for me, but rather the wife. I've tasted the sweet necter and now I'm spoiled.

BTW, I drove a V10 M5 last weekend. I was expecting so much more. I'm glad I tried it out, because I can honestly say I will never buy one. Just my .02.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:29 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Exclamation Ohhhh brother...

Originally Posted by Blacksport350
I have had 4 M Cars and unless they remove their heads from their hind sections, I will not own another one!
No generation of M3 is a fair comparison to any Carerra.
Needing to own a Porsche (not to mention a GT3) to know that fact is not reasonable.

One of the facts I love about the BMW as a car company is their cars are technology driven.

Case in point; have you read the comparison of the new V8 for the 2008 M3 to the previous V8 in the previous generation M5?

So, the question is why Porsche did not reduce the weight of their 3.6 Flat-6 (what an old design) by about 75lbs for the 997 GT3? Do I need to mention that 997 GT3 is about $35K more than a next M3?

Oh wait... a hole in the roof mendatory! Where M3 has a CF roof!

http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm...gine-in-detail
Old 05-31-2007, 12:41 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ///Mous3

One of the facts I love about the BMW as a car company is their cars are technology driven.
Amen...There will always be a place in my heart for any M cars. Did I mention *any M cars*?
Old 05-31-2007, 12:51 PM
Blacksport350
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No generation of M3 is a fair comparison to any Carerra.
Needing to own a Porsche (not to mention a GT3) to know that fact is not reasonable.

Case in point; have you read the comparison of the new V8 for the 2008 M3 to the previous V8 in the previous generation V8 in the M5?
Well it is certainly true that no M car can stack up to a GT3 and none of mine which were extensivly modded could. However, I am not so sure that saying no M3 can stack up to any Carerra isn't a bit on the bold side. My preppared E36 M3 was a match for equally prepped non turbo 964s and 993s back in the day. For that matter, I would be willing to do lapping sessions in a stock E36 M3 LTW against a C2 or C4 996 or a midly preppared E36/8 (M Coupe with S54) against a C4S and bet a nice dinner on the outcome.

However, no BMW built could outpower a turbo from the turbo 3.6 on or out handle any GT3 built.

My hopes for the new M3 are as an agile street car that has the power to back up the badge and I have my fingers crossed as I would like to own another BMW, just not as a GT3 or GT2 equal or replacement. The E46 just left me bored to death in straight line blasts which is why I went for the same engine in a light package and bought an S54 M Coupe and S54 M Roadster which were both wonderfully fun cars back in '02 when they came out.

Anyway.....back to GT3s. Rush out and buy one, get it set up and join the dark side!
Old 05-31-2007, 01:10 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

FWIW, my on track experience has shown that a bone stock GT3 driven "as delivered" will outrun an M3 (V8 excepted haven't seen one on track yet) easily. The M3 is too soft and too heavy - not really a surprise since it is more street friendly than the GT3.

amaist who posts here had(has?) a modified M3 which is nearly as quick as a stock GT3 with both cars being on R compound tires. Once he has a chance to track his new GT3 he will no doubt have some insight. I think he is on a trip right now and won't track til July.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:08 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

My M3 could "almost" equal a GT3 around Tremblant when running r-compounds. And that was with zero power mods. If I threw some money at it and did all the possible engine mods without forced induction I believe I could challenge a stock GT3. But the cost of the whole thing would have made it equal to buying a GT3. But with a GT3 I get to have a warranty and it is easier to fix and maintain without all the exotic stuff that would go on the M3. Getting people to service a modified M3 in Montreal is difficult. If I was in Boston Turner Motorsport would hook me up just throw money at them. There is nobody to throw money at in Montreal if you have a modified BMW.

Bust as a street car the M3 is in a class of it's own. It is a hoot to drive and it is very very practical. Audi is doing well with the RS4 but I don't like AWD. Like Stuka I love throwing the M3 sideways in proper conditions. Especially in winter.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:20 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Wink Hmmmm...

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
FWIW, my on track experience has shown that a bone stock GT3 driven "as delivered" will outrun an M3 (V8 excepted haven't seen one on track yet) easily.
A bone-stock E46M3 CSL will rape and pillage a 996 GT3.
Yes; FWIW.

This is a thread for 996TT VS. 996GT3. So let's get back to that.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:22 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Is that something you can buy here in the states?

BTW, what are you smoking to make that statement?
Old 05-31-2007, 02:31 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Eh.. with same compound, there's not a chance in hell a E46M3 CSL will rape any GT3's at all... The CSL is a slower car, period.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:44 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rassel
Eh.. with same compound, there's not a chance in hell a E46M3 CSL will rape any GT3's at all... The CSL is a slower car, period.
Yup. CSL was half done. The engine bits were good but the rest was not enough.
The brakes were a joke sliding caliper thingies. The suspension was still too soft.

It sometimes posted better times due to much better tires.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:22 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Exclamation My bad!

Originally Posted by LVDell
Is that something you can buy here in the states? BTW, what are you smoking to make that statement?
Bob said "as delivered"!
So let me rephrase; A bone-stock E46M3 CSL "as delivered" will rape and pillage a bone-stock and "as delivered" 996 GT3.

P.S. I don't smoke.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:30 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Exclamation What?

Originally Posted by amaist
Yup. CSL was half done.
Half done is the 997 GT3 with same Flat-6, GPS, A/C, electronic seats, inferior tires and a fu@king sunroof.

Most of you are so blinded by the Porsche brand. At least give BMW credit for trying new technologies.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:49 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Bob said "as delivered"!
So let me rephrase; A bone-stock E46M3 CSL "as delivered" will rape and pillage a bone-stock and "as delivered" 996 GT3.

P.S. I don't smoke.
"As delivered" none of those will last over two laps. The brake pads will fry.
And if you are changing pads to go to the track changing other wear items is fair, too.

Half done is the 997 GT3 with same Flat-6, GPS, A/C, electronic seats, inferior tires and a fu@king sunroof.

Most of you are so blinded by the Porsche brand. At least give BMW credit for trying new technologies.
Maybe BMW should spend some time on discovering how to install real brakes instead of messing with "track" mode for DSC. Even Subaru knows where to source real brake calipers.

And my Porsche does not have a sunroof or electric seats.

Quick Reply: Why did you buy a GT3 rather than the Turbo