Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

U-Haul Auto Trailer a fit for 996 GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 08:37 PM
HooliganX
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question U-Haul Auto Trailer a fit for 996 GT3?

Has anyone tried the U-Haul Auto Trailer with the GT3? Did the car fit ok? Were boards or something necessary to raise the ramp when loading/unloading?

Here is the trailer I'm talking about:
http://www.uhaul.com/guide/index.asp...-autotransport

The POC has an event at Laguna Seca in August. I'd really like to go but don't want to make the drive on the MPSC's. So I either need to rent a trailer or get someone to haul my track wheels up there.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:06 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes it will work. A friend use one a couple of years ago to make an 800 mile trip. Boards will be necessary to load and unload. He used a Navigator for towing and said that it worked best with the car loaded back end forward.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:19 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Be sure to inspect the equipment thoroughly. U-Haul isn't known for maintenance.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:30 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Be sure to inspect the equipment thoroughly. U-Haul isn't known for maintenance.
Very true. Another friend rented from U-haul in Ottawa and had the the wheel pass him on the way to pick up his car( not lying, Steve C., He wasn't happy). Bring a torque wrench.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:31 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

It worked for my RSA but barely. In order to fit the "net" strap over front wheel, you have to get the front bumper overhang in the front (just like the picture in your link) and my car was too low. Two guys had to lift the car (pulling from fenders) while driving over ledge.

If mike says it worked for the GT3, then I guess my front end is lower.

Good luck
Old 05-24-2007, 10:37 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Aw come on ... everybody needs a trailer ... or two
Old 05-24-2007, 10:40 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Hey, I just used it once to get the car from N.H.. If I ever need a trailer, you'll be the first to know!!
Old 05-25-2007, 01:06 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the saem decision a frw years ago - rent a UHAUL for a 4000 mile roadtrip, or buy a steel trailer. I chose to buy (Big Tex Steel DM30?) and paid $2300. At the end of the summer, I sold it for $1800 "used" through the dealer that I originally bought it from. To me, that was $500 very well spent.... Consider that option...

Good luck!
-B
Old 05-25-2007, 04:48 PM
HooliganX
Racer

Guys thanks for the info.

While I would love to buy a trailer, I have no where to put it. The annual storage fees would likely be more than I'll spend on rentals. So I think I'll probably give the rental a try and see how it goes.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:52 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A trick that sometimes works on low cars: rather than use boards, drive the back end of your tow vehicle up on ramps to raise the front of the trailer, which also lowers the back of the trailer. Rhino Ramps work great and they're inexpensive. The ramps are good to have for maintenance anyways.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:04 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew_K
A trick that sometimes works on low cars: rather than use boards, drive the back end of your tow vehicle up on ramps to raise the front of the trailer, which also lowers the back of the trailer. Rhino Ramps work great and they're inexpensive. The ramps are good to have for maintenance anyways.
That is good advice, done that several times. Also take advantage of a sloping driveway to make the transition less abrupt.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:05 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

A dealer of new trailers might let you rent an open trailer better suited to your GT3. I did that years ago for an event.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:31 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike K.
Very true. Another friend rented from U-haul in Ottawa and had the the wheel pass him on the way to pick up his car( not lying, Steve C., He wasn't happy). Bring a torque wrench.
Seconded. U-Haul is the sketchiest company i've ever dealt with by far and the operators of the various franchises are no better. I have never felt so unsafe in a truck before.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:13 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

GT3 + Uhaul = scary. I would just drive on the MPSC's.

I would have no problem using one for a BMW tho!
Old 05-31-2007, 07:05 AM
mnorek
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used the same U-Haul trailer in the past to transport a 996 without any problems (loaded backward), so I rented another one two weeks ago because I wanted to avoid doing the car shuffle with my race car and enclosed trailer. I brought the trailer home and the GT3 would not fit up the ramps forward or backward without using boards to ease the load angle. Rather than going out to buy boards or find a ramped driveway I could back up to, I just returned the trailer and drove the car to the event.

In addition to the boards, there was one other issue to overcome with the GT3, and that is the forward lip of the trailer. U-Haul's website has a solution I did not think of at the time:

Summary: Yes, the trailer will work, but you need a good supply of 2x8 boards. If I try this again, I would buy (2) 8-foot boards (2) 6-foot boards (2) 4-foot boards and (4) 18" boards. The 8, 6 and 4, footers for the ramps and the 18" for lifting the end of the vehicle over the lip (I would back the GT3 on the trailer).

If you decide to go this route, I would inspect the trailer and tires before accepting it. I have not had any problem with the trailers I have rented from U-Haul. Although they are probably used hard, the trailers are overbuilt and sturdy.

Quick Reply: U-Haul Auto Trailer a fit for 996 GT3?