Sponsored by:

Lift Recommendation for 996GT3 & 964

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 12:22 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

Here's a much after the fact comment on moving the scissor lift. I don't recall the exact wording, but the lift is advertised as movable or portable or some such indicating you can move it. Not quite so easily, I found out.

However, the guy to whom I sold my lift (and from whom I'm buying it back), sent me this to explain how very easy it is to move it. I'm not quite clear on it yet as I haven't seen it done, but he's insistent it's easy. He's an engineer, I'm a finance guy.

It's so easy. It's so easy, it's embarrassing we didn't figure it out that day ... : ) [ed: When he picked it up at my house.]

And if you really want it back, that's cool. I was thinking of getting a different rig to be able to do corner balance and alignments. Coincidentally, I'm half way through cutting down the ramps to be lighter (like a bridge instead of solid planks and extra height with cut-outs so the lifting arms stay assembled and in place) and then I'll be able to bolt the ramps to the lift arms to put the whole thing up and into the trailer with less strain. I'm not sure if I'll keep the TPD or go to something lighter, but either way, I want to be able to bolt the scissor lift down to the floor of the trailer and have it at the track.

Anyway, all you have to do is raise the hoist six inches. That makes it bend at the middle into a sort of "X" so only the rollers and fixed beam touch the ground (and it has ample clearance to roll over irregular surfaces and clear things like the angle between your driveway and the floor of the garage.)

You just put the dolly in the pick-up point (which is now much more convenient because it has been angled over to be almost flat instead of at an angle where the pin keeps jumping out of the hole.) And it's easy to lift up the bar end and wheel the whole thing around on the two steel wheels. Presto!

The first time I saw it raised (after I'd struggled to get it out of the trailer the first time) it became so obvious I couldn't decide to laugh or kick myself.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:28 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That is good to know Joe - thanks! I haven't taken the plunge yet to buy the lift, but plan to do so later in the summer....

-B

Quick Reply: Lift Recommendation for 996GT3 & 964