Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 + steep driveway = question

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 12:37 AM
Sunshine
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about angled concrete bumps with long 2"x6" runners in front for the car to sit on in the garage?
Attached Images  

Last edited by Sunshine; 05-18-2007 at 06:33 AM.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:05 AM
Blacksport350
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lori
How about angled concrete bumps with long 2"x6" runners in front for the car to sit on in the garage?
Now that is the option that I would be going for. Simple and effective.
The following users liked this post:
michaeldorian (10-19-2021)
Old 05-18-2007, 10:21 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a much easier solution to this problem... remove the partition in the garage door, make it a single wide door. That will give you the ability to approach at an angle as you enter the garage, the same as at the bottom of the driveway when you enter from the street.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:14 PM
RussellNYC
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Frayed, thanks! I was close to giving up there. As I said, I think I'll need to get some wood and experiment with the 335. If I can figure that out, I can probably work it out. The concavity at the bottom of the driveway is bad enough to scrape a bit, but not as bad as I was picturing it. I might be able to live with it, or overcome it with one well-placed block.

AndyT, I'm in Staten Island, on the north shore right next to the ferry terminal.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:15 PM
RussellNYC
Advanced

Originally Posted by pcar964
There is a much easier solution to this problem... remove the partition in the garage door, make it a single wide door. That will give you the ability to approach at an angle as you enter the garage, the same as at the bottom of the driveway when you enter from the street.
Possible, although it's a major, load-bearing column. The garage and driveway have been there since 1920, so I'm sure they never anticipated the kinds of cars we'd be driving.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:19 PM
RussellNYC
Advanced

Originally Posted by Lori
This seems to be the geometry I'm looking for (on the top at least), but I'd probably rather make this portable/removeable. I'd only be taking this car out on nice/dry days, so I don't mind getting out and sticking something down there.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:51 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

I gave up with the front lip on my '04 GT3. Yes -- the driveway ripped it off a few times, but so did potholes and parking lots. No effort to fix my driveway would cure the other problems.

So I removed the lip and -- presto !! -- no more problems. I do track my car; maybe there is some high speed understeer which the lip would cure but I don't notice it.

I'm just back from 2 glorious days at Watkins Glen, where I was more than adequately fast and I had plenty of front-end grip.

So I say the front lip is somewhat a fashion statement which I can live without. (especially since I don't have a choice -- whenever I re-affix it, within a few days it is ripped offf again.)
Old 05-21-2007, 07:20 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,060 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by RussellNYC
Frayed, thanks! I was close to giving up there. As I said, I think I'll need to get some wood and experiment with the 335. If I can figure that out, I can probably work it out. The concavity at the bottom of the driveway is bad enough to scrape a bit, but not as bad as I was picturing it. I might be able to live with it, or overcome it with one well-placed block.

AndyT, I'm in Staten Island, on the north shore right next to the ferry terminal.

I think you should hire an architect first. He can tell you what you can and can't do and maybe has seen situations like this.

Quick Reply: GT3 + steep driveway = question