Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fabspeed tips on Cargraphic mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 11:46 PM
racingfan
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Fabspeed tips on Cargraphic mufflers?

I just bought a new set of Cargraphic mufflers (loud export version) for my 2004 GT3. As you may know, they don't come with tips, but can be fitted with the stock tips, or optional Cargraphic tips. I prefer the Fabspeed reproduction Tequipment tips (long version for a 2004). Both the Cargraphic and the Fabspeed tips attach to the muffler at the top of the "L-shaped" elbow of the tip. Since the stock tips will fit the Cargraphic mufflers, and the Fabspeed tips will fit the stock mufflers, I'm assuming that the Fabspeed tips will fit the Cargraphic mufflers.

Does that sound right? Does anyone here have any experience doing this? I'd like to be reasonably sure this will work before I order the Fabspeed tips.

Thanks very much for any feedback.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:26 AM
DupaHead
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your logic is correct. The in/out plumbing for every aftermarket exhaust (I have yet to find one that isnt) for the 996 is designed to match the original factory part. I do not however have experience with the quality of fitment of these aftermarket parts. I prefer the stock GT3 tips as they are adjustable, this can compensate for any tolerance stackup issues when changing out mufflers.

Anywho... let us know how you like the mufflers... I've been debating which aftermarket manufacturer to go with...

Also.... let us know if you feel any loss of low end torque... get a baseline butt-dyno run before you swap them out!!
Old 05-14-2007, 12:08 PM
racingfan
Rennlist Member

Thanks DupaHead.

I'll certainly let everyone here know how I like the Cargraphic mufflers. I don't expect any low end torque loss (at least not noticeable), although I felt like I did experience a little loss when I installed the bypass pipes that are presently on the car.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:04 PM
DupaHead
Instructor

I had bypass pipes on mine for a couple of days... I could definately feel a loss of low end torque...But just to be sure I had a friend drive the GT3 (for the first time) with the bypass pipes and he was pretty dissapointed.. a day later when I put the mufflers back on he drove the car again and could tell a night/day difference. It was reassuring to have that second opinion. I use my car mainly for street, and low end torque=fun.. Hence why I am so concerend with getting aftermarket mufflers....
Old 05-14-2007, 08:19 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

FWIW, the 2002+ Fabspeed tips do not fit the OEM PSE (3.6L version).

Even though the tips are designed with the same pipe diameter, the wide portion of the Fabspeed tips is quite deep and the inner edge of the tip will rub against the PSE muffler outlet pipe not allowing the tips to be attached properly.

The Fabspeed tips do, however, fit the OEM stock mufflers fine.

I'm not sure how this applies to your Cargraphic setup, but they may not fit even though the diameters are the same.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:17 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts

FYI, I have Eisenmann EP4120 tips on my Cargraphics. Don't know how they compare to what you're looking at.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:50 AM
racingfan
Rennlist Member

Hhhmmm... Seems like fitment could be hit or miss with the Fabspeeds. May have to just try it and see what happens.

Joe, I really like your Eisenmann tips (which obviously fit well). I did a quick search online and couldn't locate anyone selling the model you listed. Any idea where you can find them?

Thanks.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:13 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts

No idea at all. They came with the set when I bought them. Before I replied above, I also went looking, and, like you, couldn't find them, even on the Eisenmann site. I'll doublecheck the p/n again tomorrow.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:44 PM
evolution_gt3
Intermediate

racingfan, did you ever get the fabspeed tips on your CG cans? how do they look? any pics? many thanks!

Quick Reply: Fabspeed tips on Cargraphic mufflers?