Sponsored by:

Very dangerous brake problem at the Nürburgring with 2 996 Turbos

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 07:31 PM
Kaizu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A sad update:

The brakes still lock up sometimes suddenly at the track! And yes, they do it so bad that I'm flat spotting the front tires.

I have now tried with other tires as well and I have changed the front speed sensors (the ones the ABS unit gets information) and also added GT2 heat protection for those sensors, that is something the car did not have.

In other words I have changed almost everything but the ABS unit itself and I'm not sure should I buy the same box there again - it costs A LOT and perhaps no difference.

The Porsche tester does not find any faults from the system.

Could it be possible that changing the disks and pads to new ones could help? This could be a reason if the pad material has transfered to the disks in a strange way or something. But I have used only well known Pagid Yellows so I doubt...

It seems I can get race ABS but I would have to convert to RWD? I could use GT3 or Cup parts I assume? I'm willing to convert because I already have proper Manthey-Racing LSD installed.

What can I say...I hate this! I have searched for help from different places but no one can help me...
Old 06-03-2008, 08:13 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you go for performance friction disks etc in the end? Don't think it will solve your problem but the disks will last longer. They only fit their own pads though due to the size of the bobbin not giving enough clearance for pagids. Which is why I have alcons.

Never experienced your problem though.

In fact only thing vaguely similar is a chap with a PSI converted 996 turbo with monster power and 2wd only. He can't brake into corners or PSM cuts in and does very nasty things.

There are Bosch ABS programming experts out there, but no idea how you'd contact one and it might be prohibitively expensive. I wouldn't be surprised if Manthey don't use someone external. Talking to Henk from Intrax, they have custom ABS programming on their 997 cup too, so he might be able to point you in the right direction.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:21 AM
dnitake
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hammerwerfer, could you elaborate on your statement below? Apologies to Kaizu.

That is the opposite of the bumpy road, or jump, situation where the ABS has a brain fart and just doesn't apply the brakes. It gives you avery hard pedal that just doesn't do anything. Rather disconcerting to say the least.

I've been struggling w/ this exact problem and it's getting worse. I'll post a separate topic as had the local Porsche dealer go through it w/ nothing definitive. Is there a simple solution you might be aware of?

Quick Reply: Very dangerous brake problem at the Nürburgring with 2 996 Turbos