Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Open trailers

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007 | 04:18 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Default Open trailers

I've been looking at open trailers for my GT3, and was offered a trailer from ATC (Aluminum Trailer Corp). Anyone have any experience with them?
I'm towing with a Cayenne S, should I be looking for surge or electric brakes?

As per usual, thanking you guys in advance for your feedback.

Rick
CVR PCA
Old 04-17-2007 | 04:32 PM
Bill911
Rennlist Member

I have an open steel trailer to towing a GT3 with my Cayenne S. I have electric brakes with my trailer and don't have any experience with surge brakes. The electric brakes work great with my Cayenne. It was a pain to get the brake controller hooked up, but once that was done it has worked fine.
Old 04-17-2007 | 10:55 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Bill/I'm looking for aluminum to keep the weight down. Yes, I've heard that electric brakes are a pain to get hooked up
Old 04-17-2007 | 10:56 PM
por29
Racer

I have a used Aluminum trailex trailer for sale.

If interested you can call me at 516 378 8769

www.rudtnersracing.com
Old 04-18-2007 | 12:16 AM
khaug
Instructor

Hi Rick.

Sorry, have no experience with ATC, but I trailered my '88 911 for nine years with an open Trailex, and I offer the following random advice:

-Make sure the trailer you purchase is configured to tow a rear-engined car. If it isn't, you'll likely encounter major stability problems. It's essential to have 10-12% of the total trailer weight on the tongue, and many open trailers can't achieve this towing a 911. At least make sure the trailer has moveable wheel stops to give you a better chance of positioning the car to get the weight distribution you need.

- Expect to have great difficulty getting your GT3 up the trailer ramps. A friend's 996 GT3 would not go onto my previous Trailex (w/8' ramps) without the use of crude homemade wooden ramp extensions. The culprit, of course, is the low front air dam. My new 997 GT3 is even lower. My new closed Trailex came with 11' ramps, and I'm hoping for the best when I head to WG in a couple of weeks.

-Never, ever, tow without the equipment necessary to change a tire.

-Always check pressure in all trailer tires before each tow. And at each stop, check all straps for tightness, visually inspect each trailer tire and touch a lug on each wheel to check for heat.

These are all lessons I learned the hard way! Best regards
Old 04-18-2007 | 08:44 AM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Thanks everyone
Old 04-18-2007 | 09:18 PM
dmc90025
Instructor

very helpful advice here. Boss website too above.
Old 04-19-2007 | 10:57 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

If in doubt about the suitability of a trailer to tow a rear engine car such as the 911, is it possibly better to back the car on the trailer?
Old 04-19-2007 | 11:54 AM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

I have a friend who had to do that......
Old 04-19-2007 | 12:22 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
If in doubt about the suitability of a trailer to tow a rear engine car such as the 911, is it possibly better to back the car on the trailer?
If you do this, I think you will have too much weight on the tongue of the trailer if its a short trailer and not possible to strap down closer to the pivot point of the wheels. This will make it harder on your rear suspension in your tow vehicle and dramtically change the feel and handling of the entire rig for the negative.
Old 04-19-2007 | 12:33 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

A few thoughts:
ATC is considered one of the better/high end trailer suppliers, especially their enclosed car haulers. Very high quality stuff.

The use of surge brakes will likely trigger a "!" Check Trailer Lights fault on the Cayenne dash MFD. This has been well documented in the Cayenne forum.

The use of LED trailer lighting will trigger a "!" Check Trailer Lights fault as well. Again, see the Cayenne forum.

The use of a Prodigy brake controller will likely generate a "!" warning, as the diagnostics of the Prodigy can conflict with the in vehicle Cayenne diagnostics. There are workarounds (depending on MY Cayenne); or simply use a 'standard' electric brake controller. Again, see the Cayenne forum.
Old 04-19-2007 | 01:46 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ltc
A few thoughts:
ATC is considered one of the better/high end trailer suppliers, especially their enclosed car haulers. Very high quality stuff.

The use of surge brakes will likely trigger a "!" Check Trailer Lights fault on the Cayenne dash MFD. This has been well documented in the Cayenne forum.

The use of LED trailer lighting will trigger a "!" Check Trailer Lights fault as well. Again, see the Cayenne forum.

The use of a Prodigy brake controller will likely generate a "!" warning, as the diagnostics of the Prodigy can conflict with the in vehicle Cayenne diagnostics. There are workarounds (depending on MY Cayenne); or simply use a 'standard' electric brake controller. Again, see the Cayenne forum.
Ha, there you are. Even outside of the Cayenne forum, you cannot resist yourself!! And its even your favorite subject with regards to the Cayenne.

"Well Documented", to say the least.
Old 04-19-2007 | 07:15 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by yetis
Ha, there you are. Even outside of the Cayenne forum, you cannot resist yourself!! And its even your favorite subject with regards to the Cayenne.
Begin
Sorry, "Cayenne" and "favorite" do not belong in the same sentence
End

Originally Posted by yetis
"Well Documented", to say the least.
Unfortunately, yes, thank you.
Old 04-19-2007 | 07:58 PM
DavidNR
Rennlist Member

Funny... trailered my GT3 from Lexington to Atlanta and back with my Cayenne S pulling a Trailex with surge brakes and never saw this. My plans are to order one shortly. Not worried about it, if it didn't happen in that many miles not likely to ever happen.
Old 04-19-2007 | 09:52 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

If tongue weight becomes an issue, use a weight distribution kit. I do so with my enclosed trailer. Allows for more weight, and ameliorates any swaying problems.

Quick Reply: Open trailers