Cup rotors Front, Rear or both?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 09:27 AM
boqueron
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cup rotors Front, Rear or both?

I will be having to change rotors soon.

I've done a search and read that some of you use Cup Rotors at the back and 995 GT3 at the front. Which way to go ? What is the benefit and, finally, is there any adaptation problem or do they fit without problems ?

Thanks for your answer !!
Old 03-29-2007, 10:32 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Not quite sure what you are getting at but for sake of argument I will say that most of us either use in front the Cup rotors (cheaper than stock rotors) or switch to an aftermarket setup (brembo, alcon, pfc, etc). To be honest I have never had to change the rotors in back yet so I cannot comment. Not sure what you mean about the "995" rotors for the front.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:43 AM
boqueron
Pro

Ups ! sorry! it should read 996 GT3...
Old 03-29-2007, 11:19 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

If that is the case (meaning 996 GT3 in front) then that is NOT the case for the consensus. Up front the "smarter" rotor to purchase is the cup rotor since it is considerably cheaper than the "standard" 996GT3 front rotor and vitually identical. The differences are not something that is as big a deal to us as much as it is to the "cup racers".......weight, thickness, etc.

Hope that made sense.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:31 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Rear Cup rotors? To this day, I don't know of any 996 GT3 that has worn out rear rotors. Leave them alone.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:48 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Rear Cup rotors? To this day, I don't know of any 996 GT3 that has worn out rear rotors. Leave them alone.
I've gone through at least three sets of rear rotors. I have ordered rears from TRG and HRP but never asked which type .
Old 03-29-2007, 01:46 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

3 sets of rears??? Holy cow that is some serious rear brake bias.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:25 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
3 sets of rears??? Holy cow that is some serious rear brake bias.
Not really, though I have been using rs14s for the last year. I have worn out two sets of Brembo floating hats ( eight rotors & a few cast offs from a racer ) and probably four motorsport rotors in the front in the same period. The backs don't expire because of cracks but get too thin.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:07 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Dell - Mike puts on more track miles than any 5 normal people. He does so many track days that his steering wheel will wear out soon!

Some people replace rotors, Mike does that too, but he has worn out his gas and brake pedals too
Old 04-03-2007, 02:34 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Dell - Mike puts on more track miles than any 5 normal people. He does so many track days that his steering wheel will wear out soon!

Some people replace rotors, Mike does that too, but he has worn out his gas and brake pedals too

Ah, now that makes sense!
Old 04-03-2007, 02:43 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,635 Likes on 2,318 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
LOL, let me show you how to chew up rotors. every 2 front rotors, i need 1 rear rotor replaced. i know i know, i am still learning on braking. i was told if i can improve my brk tech, i'll be instantly 5 seconds faster!

for me, cup rotors and oem rotors feel the same (cup is slightly thinner) but brk'g perfomance is the same. i run cup rotor front and oem rotor rear. why? cup front rotors is much chepaer than oem front rotor.

oem rear rotors is cheaper than cup rear rotor. at least from my source.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:47 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,635 Likes on 2,318 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike K.
I've gone through at least three sets of rear rotors. I have ordered rears from TRG and HRP but never asked which type .
though the rear doesn't crack as much as the front, my does crack a bit.

i also tried brembo and ap floaters. brembo is way too noisy for me (rattle). but either ap or brembos aren't better than cup or oem in performance. i bought them b/c replace disk is cheaper as i can re use the hats. then i found out that after 2-3 disk replacements, the hat dies too. plue all he hassle to get new hardware to bolt the disk to the hat, correctly torquing them.... too much work for me. last time i bought over a dozen of oem/cup rotors.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:17 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Harry - use the cup rotors, but only because they are cheaper. If you are using the RS-14 pads in the rear, you will eventually wear out the rear rotors. That's good because they are cheap and the RS-14 rear pads make the expensive front rotors last longer as well as improving brake balance.

best,
Old 04-03-2007, 04:03 PM
zoomzoom
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boqueron
I will be having to change rotors soon.

I've done a search and read that some of you use Cup Rotors at the back and 996 GT3 at the front. Which way to go ? What is the benefit and, finally, is there any adaptation problem or do they fit without problems ?

Thanks for your answer !!
Boq,
Forget about the Cup rotors. Do a decent upgrade to the 360mm anti-rattle floating Alcons by JZM in the UK (click here). They last much longer than Porsche discs (standard or Cup which are just thinner and last even shorter), don't crack (solid floaters), are made of a better steel, and they offer better brake leverage because of the larger diameter. Because of their longer life, they work out cheaper as well than Porsche discs. Give Steve McHale a call and tell him I referred you. A lot of UK GT3ers have upgraded to these and they are also a popular replacement for PCCBs. I've done over 15 trackdays on these with RS29s and they look like they are good for another 15 at least.
Regards -

ps, I'm just a very happy customer! There is also another company called Parr who do a similar brake disc setup by Brembo, but these rattle and are slightly smaller in diameter.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:29 AM
boqueron
Pro

Bob,
thanks for your comments and advise. In any case I have to check the price of the cup rotors in Spain, as you know the price politics differ from one country to the other.. On the RS14's, I just started to use them and tracked twice, one on dry and another one on wet. No special issues but....I am going back to the RS19's all over. I had a strange experience with the brakes ( see my post https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-gt3-forum/340275-brake-pad-failure-help-please.html )and I am trying to put everything as it was before ..

Adrien,
Thanks for the info. I surely will consider it. I will also have to check the cost onece in Spain.. I have to say that your previous advise and help concerning thy Toyos R888 has been extremely efficient and helpful !

Quick Reply: Cup rotors Front, Rear or both?