Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RMS leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007 | 08:07 PM
Greygt3
Racer

Default RMS leak

I recently had my rear main seal replaced under warranty and it leaks worse now then it did before the swap. If left for a week it will probadly leak several drops. What is the accepted norm for this?

Thanks for the input.

Dean
Old 03-26-2007 | 08:21 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

my GT3's had zero leak, not a drop on the floor.
i dont think your dealer fixed it correctly.
even on my normal 996's, after RMS fix, it was bone dry.
Old 03-26-2007 | 08:35 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greygt3
I recently had my rear main seal replaced under warranty and it leaks worse now then it did before the swap. If left for a week it will probadly leak several drops. What is the accepted norm for this?

Thanks for the input.

Dean
Bring it back and have them do it again. It should not leak a drop.
Old 03-26-2007 | 09:00 PM
Holger B
Race Car

The dealer replaced the RMS on my GT3 too. Didn't leak before and hasn't leaked a drop afterwards.
Old 03-26-2007 | 10:01 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

I'm on my 4th RMS, some have had more. It does happen on GT3 s .
Old 03-26-2007 | 10:10 PM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

I have 22,xxx miles and never had a leak, afaik. I have had the car since about 12K and found nothing in the service records about a RMS...strange how some do, some dont.
Old 03-28-2007 | 06:55 PM
Idocdes
Rennlist Member

Had my car inspected, by a PCA authorized independent mechanic, for DE and was told of a "slight" RMS leak. Came as a big surprise(28K miles), not even a drop where the car is garaged. I was told that the new 997 seal is probably the way to go. I believe I read in a previous thread that the Cayenne RMS was better as well. Any thoughts?
BTW Arctic Fox, as per my mechanic, your days are numbered. He claims that almost all eventually will need an RMS issue.
Old 03-28-2007 | 07:13 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

My RMS has a very slight leak. More seepage than a leak since there are no drops on the floor. I took it to the dealer and was told it needs to have drips to be covered. My warranty expires next Feb so I imagine I'll see a drop of oil on the floor in March.
Old 03-29-2007 | 01:38 AM
Holger B
Race Car

Originally Posted by Idocdes
BTW Arctic Fox, as per my mechanic, your days are numbered. He claims that almost all eventually will need an RMS issue.
May be true for the 996, but not GT3's.

The motors are apples-and-oranges between the two.
Old 03-29-2007 | 07:39 AM
Idocdes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Holger B
May be true for the 996, but not GT3's.

The motors are apples-and-oranges between the two.
Holger,
I would imagine the configuration between the two to be somewhat similar. Why does the GT3 seem more immune? Thicker seal, alignment????
Old 03-29-2007 | 11:19 AM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AllanJ
My RMS has a very slight leak. More seepage than a leak since there are no drops on the floor. I took it to the dealer and was told it needs to have drips to be covered. My warranty expires next Feb so I imagine I'll see a drop of oil on the floor in March.
This doesn't sound right at all. Usually it is the dealer who see the seepage and recommend a change under warranty. AFAIK, it doesn't have to be a leak. I would try to get it replaced under warranty.
Old 03-29-2007 | 11:30 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've had the RMS leak fixed twice. The first time it was fixed with the standard part, the repair held for two weeks. The second time it was repaired with a spring tensioned 993 RMS, been dry ever since.

Originally Posted by Idocdes
I would imagine the configuration between the two to be somewhat similar. Why does the GT3 seem more immune? Thicker seal, alignment????
The similarities end once you get past the flat-6 configuration. Try a search for more details on the differences. Any engine can develope an RMS leak.
Old 03-29-2007 | 11:41 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

The problem with a seal leaking is probably one of two "more common" problems that seems to be the status quo of explanations......in the non GT/TT 996's cars the case could have an alignment problem that was design created and not something that could be "corrected" and NO repacement seal was ever going to fix that so engine replacement was a need. The more common reason it didn't hold was that the installer SCREWED up the install (which seems to be common these days). If they are not using the "proper and most updated" RMS install tool then it is hit or miss with a proper install.

FYI....65K miles of RMS free driving in my CAB and 25K in the GT3

Last edited by LVDell; 03-29-2007 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-29-2007 | 01:46 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeeva
This doesn't sound right at all. Usually it is the dealer who see the seepage and recommend a change under warranty. AFAIK, it doesn't have to be a leak. I would try to get it replaced under warranty.
I crawled under my car to have a look at things one day and saw a bunch of dust sticking to the area where the RMS is. So I brought it to the dealer and they tossed it on the hoist. I was there when their chief mechanic looked at it and you know the rest.
Old 03-29-2007 | 02:03 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

The use of thin synthetic oils are also a big contributer to seal leaks in almost ever make car on the road. Most leaking seals I have seen, BMW Lexus, Porsche, etc, have been reduced and/or eliminated by either adding a better viscosity synthetic oil, adding a quart of good dino oil to the cranckcase, or a seal conditioner additive to the oil.

Until the oil manufacturers find the key to making syntehtic oil so it will properly keep to the seals soft and plyable, leaks will continue to occur more than they need to for people using thin synthetics. Castrol oil has less of a problem than does Mobil 1.

Quick Reply: RMS leak