Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996 gt2 transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007 | 02:32 PM
Rajen
Track Day

Unhappy 996 gt2 transmission problem

Hi,could someone please help me with diagnosing/resolving the problem with my trans.my car has 14000 miles and the 2nd gear slips into neutral under de-celleration mostly on downhills.It never does it at all times and never does under accelleration.The gear change is smooth.I am hoping it is adjustment,any advice?
Thanks
Old 03-18-2007 | 02:38 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Could be a problem with an engine/transmission mount...?
Old 03-18-2007 | 03:38 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Wow now this is interesting, here is a huge sticky thread on 6speed about the infamous "2nd gear popout" issue , that has been unheard of on the GT2's but a common issue on some early model 996TT's, very strange.. Costs are great and it gets worse, under warranty they sometimes replace it and its over 10 grand for the transmission replacement i believe! Goodluck

http://6speedonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60061
Old 03-18-2007 | 06:09 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rajen
I am hoping it is adjustment,any advice
The first thing to check is the shifter cable adjustment. If everything there is okay then check the number on the transmission. A small batch of GT2s were delivered from the factory with transmissions that were assembled incorrectly. If your transmission number is below #2100 you should qualify for a free repair. All Porsche 911 gearboxes produced since 1987'ish have had this problem when speed shifted or when shifted without having the clutch pedal pressed completely to the floor. Below is the relevant page from the 996TT/GT2 damage catalog, the damage catalogs for models prior show the same warnings, i.e. do not power shift or the engine torque gets transferred through the syncro and voila... I'm not sure where you are located but if you are in North America and the problem is not covered under warranty there are several indepedent shops that can repair your gearbox for a bit less than what a replacement gearbox will cost.

996-300-020-CX $8292.80 (MSRP)

----------------------------------------

Overload of dual-cone synchronization 1st/2nd gear
Symptoms; Grinding when shifting 1st/2nd gear, hard shifting 1st/2nd gear

The synchronization teeth of the gear have become rounded.

The synchronization components (synchronizing, tapered and friction rings) do not display excessive wear.

The teeth of the shift collar have become rounded, similar to the teeth shown in the first image.

If the damage described is diagnosed on a transmission, it is very likely to be caused by an assembly fault. This fault causes the gearwheel to become loose and therefore causing the "popping out of gear" condition.

This fault only occurs on transmissions up to the following numbers:

911 Turbo (996), number 6530 and 911 GT2 (996), number 2100
Old 03-19-2007 | 04:24 PM
Rajen
Track Day

Hi,Jason
Thanks for the info.Just a few more details,my change from 1st to 2nd & 2nd to 1st is smooth with no grinding or hard shifting.Will the shift cable adjustment not also cause 4th & 6th to also do the same thing?All gears feel the same when shifted,out of 10 tries 2nd gear will pop out maybe twice on a downhill with no gas being fed.Will appreciate any further advice.
Thanks
Rajen
Old 03-19-2007 | 09:13 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Hi,Jason
Thanks for the info.Just a few more details,my change from 1st to 2nd & 2nd to 1st is smooth with no grinding or hard shifting.Will the shift cable adjustment not also cause 4th & 6th to also do the same thing?All gears feel the same when shifted,out of 10 tries 2nd gear will pop out maybe twice on a downhill with no gas being fed.Will appreciate any further advice.
Thanks
Rajen
Did you even check out my post or link? it answers your question
Old 03-20-2007 | 04:26 PM
Rajen
Track Day

Default iLLM3

Thanks,i did read it and i think i am trying to unsucessfully convince myself that the problem is not as bad.I spoke to my local porsche agent and they will not even consider the claim because of the rev info on the computer,i think that they are aware of the history on these boxes and are using the info to get out of their obligation.Similar experiences had by some of the individuals on your link
Rajen
Old 03-20-2007 | 04:53 PM
lightguy
Racer

Why would your rev info be linked to a transmission problem ?
Porsche used to be "The good guys".
Old 03-20-2007 | 05:01 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

I love this board....if only lawyers, Doctors and the government could be this effecient.
Old 03-20-2007 | 05:42 PM
Rajen
Track Day

I have learnt to drive and tracked my 993 RS for 5yrs,and after doing 1500miles on the GT2 they tell me i have been changing gears at revs &speeds that are too high.the 993RS is doing 40000 miles, most of it track and the box is still as good as new.I thought that the GT2 was a track version of the turbo but looking at the history on these boxes they failed miserably and left the owners to fit the bill for their poor design.
Rajen
Old 03-20-2007 | 07:41 PM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lightguy
Why would your rev info be linked to a transmission problem ?
Porsche used to be "The good guys".

'The good guys" are of the past ...Look up all the factory deficiencies ( ie Gen 1 PCCB concerns )that they have walked away from.

Old 03-20-2007 | 10:42 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Sorry man, but that is the issue sorry to say, goodluck
Old 03-21-2007 | 01:09 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

.I spoke to my local porsche agent and they will not even consider the claim because of the rev info on the computer
Are there Type-2 overrevs or just Type-1?

i think that they are aware of the history on these boxes and are using the info to get out of their obligation.Similar experiences had by some of the individuals on your link
Have you compared the serial number of your transmisison with the serial numbers of the transmissions that Porsche has admitted to screwing up? The problem with the link is that people are trying to blur the issue. Yes, Porsche assembled some transmissions incorrectly but there is also another driver-related problem. Until you see the pieces in front of your face it is (at least it was for me) difficult to visualize why. But even with Type-2 overrevs Porsche may help you if your transmission was assembled incorrectly. What country are you located in?

I thought that the GT2 was a track version of the turbo but looking at the history on these boxes they failed miserably and left the owners to fit the bill for their poor design.
The gearbox in your GT2 is nearly exactly the same as the one in your 993RS and the parts that have failed are the same which might actually be part of the problem? On a quick shift the GT2 would transmit nearly double the amount of torque (of your 993) through the syncro. So the same problems the 964 and 993 can experience happen a lot sooner in the 996?
Old 03-22-2007 | 05:52 AM
Rajen
Track Day

Type 2 over-revs
i will have the car on the ramp next week and will check on the trans no.
From south africa
thanks
Rajen
Old 03-22-2007 | 05:56 AM
atan888
Three Wheelin'

Had a similar problem with my 1st gear going back to nuetral last year.Luckily my car is still under factory warranty. Got me a brand new transmission and diff under warranty. All I had to pay was $1100 for a new clutch. It was not worn about 60% left but what the heck. its free

Quick Reply: 996 gt2 transmission problem