Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sequential Shift Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007 | 05:27 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Default Sequential Shift Lights?

Anyone recommend a quality set of sequential shift lights? I've seen some imported lights but was looking for something a bit more professional and substantial looking. With this LWFW redline comes up pretty quick and would be nice to have a bit of notice. Can't always hear the car with all the other racket going on around the car in traffic. Just makes life easier.
Old 02-25-2007 | 07:19 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

I just put a yellow sticky arrow on the rpm u plan to upshift-works for me : ). Regards. Mike
Old 02-25-2007 | 07:35 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

How about the 997 GT3 Cup car device?
Old 02-25-2007 | 07:54 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Any idea as to where I can get specific info regarding the Cup car device? Is this like the standard GT3 997 display light or is it seperate from the dash?
Old 02-27-2007 | 02:16 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Most of the cup cars have a Motec display but I'm not sure how the sequential lights are set up. I have seen lights in the Porsche instrument area above the Motec display but I cannot remember the details. I have also seen some small displays you can velcro to the dash top. Why don't you call some of the racing shops like The Racer's Group and see what they have.
Old 02-27-2007 | 03:08 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

I'm heading to Techtactics this weekend at Farnbacher Lowes. I'll check this out with some of the experts.
Old 02-28-2007 | 03:20 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Let's get this right
..... Can't always hear the car with all the other racket going on around the car in traffic.
ROTFL

Oh yeah, all that noise from the traffic and you can't hear a GT3 approaching the red line at full chat.

Look, Parnelli, if the traffic around you is so loud when you are bouncing off the rev limiter, you don't have eyes for change lights, you are WATCHING the traffic and avoiding it and planning your route through it, otherwise you can hear the engine.

What you asre describing is a lack of bandwidth. If you really CANNOT hear the car when driving it traffic it's not that you can't hear, you are over stressed processing the visual signals you are receiving through your eyes and controlling the car reacting to them. If you are realising that the rev limiter has cut in, some, hopefully very short time, after it has done so, then you have reached the limit of your processing capacity at that time. It is likely that most change lights would be checked on your secondary scan, rathger than your primary scan.

There are a couple of solutions, one work on your driving skills, coordination and fitness, so you use less of your available bandwidth driving in traffic and also increase your processing rate and secondly, attach a photographer's flash system to your tachometer. That way when a fash is triggered, you won't miss it!

Inciodentally, there is an exercise I get drivers to do when teaching them to drive fast in traffic. I get them to start off commenting out loud on all the cars behaviour around them, yes in the rear view mirror too, and to drive as fast as they are able to whilst carrying out this running commentary, like a sports commentator. By the end of the second day, they are able to do this at much greater speeds and have increased their capacity to process information whilst under stress. Its a very good way of increasing the processing rate.

R+C
Old 02-28-2007 | 05:43 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
Let's get this right

ROTFL

Oh yeah, all that noise from the traffic and you can't hear a GT3 approaching the red line at full chat.

Look, Parnelli, if the traffic around you is so loud when you are bouncing off the rev limiter, you don't have eyes for change lights, you are WATCHING the traffic and avoiding it and planning your route through it, otherwise you can hear the engine.

What you asre describing is a lack of bandwidth. If you really CANNOT hear the car when driving it traffic it's not that you can't hear, you are over stressed processing the visual signals you are receiving through your eyes and controlling the car reacting to them. If you are realising that the rev limiter has cut in, some, hopefully very short time, after it has done so, then you have reached the limit of your processing capacity at that time. It is likely that most change lights would be checked on your secondary scan, rathger than your primary scan.

There are a couple of solutions, one work on your driving skills, coordination and fitness, so you use less of your available bandwidth driving in traffic and also increase your processing rate and secondly, attach a photographer's flash system to your tachometer. That way when a fash is triggered, you won't miss it!

Inciodentally, there is an exercise I get drivers to do when teaching them to drive fast in traffic. I get them to start off commenting out loud on all the cars behaviour around them, yes in the rear view mirror too, and to drive as fast as they are able to whilst carrying out this running commentary, like a sports commentator. By the end of the second day, they are able to do this at much greater speeds and have increased their capacity to process information whilst under stress. Its a very good way of increasing the processing rate.

R+C
Do you always have to reply with your superior and "smart alec" comments to every post in here?
Old 02-28-2007 | 08:56 AM
Blacksport350
Pro

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
Let's get this right

What you asre describing is a lack of bandwidth. If you really CANNOT hear the car when driving it traffic it's not that you can't hear, you are over stressedunder stress.

Depends on what traffic he is referring to! On the race track with plenty of other cars around you that are running open exhuasts and with your helmet on, it is pretty easy not to be able to hear your own car. Same applies on the street if you are right next to a couple of other cars with louder exhausts.

You either have to develope a feel for the car OR get a shift light as you are learning. A nice bright shift light is a good reminder to shift anyway so it certainly can't hurt. I have known many a very skilled driver that has nailed the limiter during races because they got caught up in the moment, were overloaded for a second and hit the limiter. By the time you are into it for a split second, you just got yourself passed!
Old 02-28-2007 | 10:00 AM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Nordschcleife

First my name isn't "Parnelli" it's Ray and I in no way indicated I was of Parnelli ilk.

Second, I know my driving limitations and am willing to use whatever aids available to drive better and safer. I'm quite aware of sensory overload and potientally one reason a light might be of help to me, as you elequantly mention. I realize that professionals "never" use them in race cars as this would certainly make them look stupid and less of a man. Well I will use a light and look stupid and less virile, if it allows me to enjoy my time on the track to a greater extent.
Old 02-28-2007 | 10:51 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ray, this maybe a radical solution but this is what I installed in my race car:
http://www.stackltd.com/st700.html
It replaces the tach and can also give you lap times etc if you choose to. It has programmable shift lights and it works like a charm. My car is a stock engine etc so when the open megaphones are next to me , I too cannot hear a thing from my engine. The shift lights catch your attention for sure...
Old 02-28-2007 | 11:01 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Would an in helmet sequential shift light display be an option?
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/sftlight.htm
Old 02-28-2007 | 11:19 AM
Blacksport350
Pro

Originally Posted by ltc
Would an in helmet sequential shift light display be an option?
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/sftlight.htm
I have seen this unit before and like the concept. Also, SPA makes nice stuff.

I may have to order one of these myself to use in the new Caterham since I can't really see the dash with a helmet on and the gears are gone as soon as you can shift into them. Not to mnetion trying to figure out the feel of 7800RPM v. 8250 is almost impossible but there is a big difference if you can catch the shift early.

Knowing SPA, it may even be possible to order an extra harness and use it in several cars.
Old 02-28-2007 | 11:55 AM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Too bad the OE tach didn't have the lights built in as does the SPA. The SPA looks to be a quality piece but as mentiond a bit of over kill. I guess the 997 has a single light. Is this light an over rev or does it come on at like 7800 or so, as a warning?
There are some small imported units that velcro to the steering column etc.. I may give one of them a try, they're relativly inexpensive. If I find having the lights useful, I may invest in a better re:quality setup.
Thanks for most of your comments.
Old 02-28-2007 | 12:18 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mr. C4
Do you always have to reply with your superior and "smart alec" comments to every post in here?
I love it, great insight and advice in that NS-answer.

Quick Reply: Sequential Shift Lights?