Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi. First post, about to buy 996 gt3. Reliability/Performance upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 08:32 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,749 Likes on 2,355 Posts

is your NSX supercharge? is so, by comptech?

if you are looking for hp like that, GT3 wont do it. any REAL power mod would be $30k just to start and the gain is VERY tiny in hp.

stock motor is very reliable and durable. no unusual maintenence needed. but if things should go wrong budget min of 5x the cost of NSX to fix.

if you plan to increase hp by a c hip, drop in filter, forget it. they are useless in total gain, if any.

intake: mostly junk
exhaust: you can change exhaust for different sound and reduced wt, but hp??? no.
headers: not many of us change headers on these cars.
suspension: if you most, jrz, moton, leda with proper camber plates, drop linx comes to mind

What are some of the performance upgrades that you guys have done/power added ?

hope this helps.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:35 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rsa
Bump steer? How spirited was your test drive!!!!
Exactly my thought! The only place I can imagine "feeling" bumpsteer would be on the track. Not an issue on the street. A new set of toe arms will fix that right up though
Old 02-22-2007, 09:39 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been at the track against Supercharged NSXs, on straight line they're slower than the C5 Z06.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:15 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,749 Likes on 2,355 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
I've been at the track against Supercharged NSXs, on straight line they're slower than the C5 Z06.
hum, a friend of mine has a comptech nsx, on straight, my GT3 can't keep up.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:33 AM
tlark
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
hum, a friend of mine has a comptech nsx, on straight, my GT3 can't keep up.
ditto, a comptech nsx in skilled hands fairs well. I ran with a comptech although it was in my 993tt. Power ban is sometimes diffucult to manage in turns when the boost comes on.

I also owned a NSX w/o the S/C. Modernceo, take your new GT3 to the track........
Old 02-23-2007, 12:47 AM
rsa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT

+1
Old 02-23-2007, 02:00 AM
khaug
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Corey, quite frankly it doesn't sound like the GT3 is the car for you:

-With 100 bhp/liter or better, aftermarket mods that really increase power are few and far between. Nobody does it better than Porsche!

-If you aren't a Trackie, be aware that Porsche basically designed the car for those of us who do Driver Ed or Club Race events on road racing courses. If you primarily drive yours on the street (or, occasionally, at the drag strip), I suspect you'd be much better off with an '07 Corvette Z06 for the same money. The Corvette has the virtue of having a relatively low-specific-output engine that looks to be amenable to mods which will increase straight-line performance

-OTOH, if you have any interest in developing your driving skills via PCA Driver Ed events, IMHO you can't do better than a GT3. This is what the cars are all about!

Good luck and best regards!
Old 02-23-2007, 10:49 AM
Modernceo
8th Gear

Ive just called the prepurchase inspector I had setup an appointment with, as well as the person who was seriously interested in buying my car, and told them that I was no longer buying the Porsche.

Im having way too much regret thinking about selling my Nsx, and im afraid that id be trading off way too many things by buying the Porsche compared to my Nsx.

I just feel that the Nsx, for my non track driving, is so much better suited for city driving, while giving an incredible driving experience, and its an easy car to drive. I didnt like the GT3's shift feel, the clutch took a lot of effort to depress (much more than any other car Ive ever driven, and I have a four cylinder turbo car thats got 400 engine hp, with a race clutch in it!!)

The only thing that the Nsx didnt have enough of for me, was power, styling wise, driveability in the city, exotic looks, great handling, etc, it had everything but the extra power I needed. So.. to make up for that after I canceled the order for the GT3, Im going to be ordering today..

A Comptech supercharger for my 2002!

I think the blower will solve my power cravings nicely. From everyones dyno posts, to dragstrip times that Ive read, I think the blower will do really nicely for me.

I want to sincerely thank everyone here for your input, you all really did help guide me, and I think Im making a move thats better suited for my needs.

Ill still continue to lurk here, and Im positive that in a few years Ill be back, considering another Porsche. Id just like for it to be RWD and not AWD for my next Porsche, and I think it will have to be turbo, because just as many of you said, theres no modifying the GT3 motor, and thats really part of the driving experience/fun to me, is modifying the car.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:27 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

The good thing is that you came to realize what you REALLY wanted to begin with.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:49 AM
Olav A.
Racer

Originally Posted by Modernceo
I didnt like the GT3's shift feel, the clutch took a lot of effort to depress (much more than any other car Ive ever driven, and I have a four cylinder turbo car thats got 400 engine hp, with a race clutch in it!!)
The clutch is a stiff one. I went from a GT3 drive back to my 993 and the clutch pedal seemed busted! It just flew to the floor board...

I guess after a few years of GT3 ownership you get a big left leg!
Old 02-23-2007, 02:49 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 667 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Modernceo
The bumpsteer was a little worse than I expected, but I had no problem with the ride quality of the GT3 that I test drove. Its actually what I was looking for, I hate non responsive, mushy suspension, heavy cars. The gt3 fits me very nicely.

Im not concerned at all about room. I wanted a two door, two seater car. This is not going to be my daily driver, I have no kids.

The only concern I have so far, is the bump steer, and clutch effort. Driving it around in heavy traffic made my left leg a little sore. Ill get used to it though.

The heavy clutch will be a MAJOR problem for you in heavy traffic. Don't make it an everyday driver if your going to drive it in heavy traffic. Also, I'd go as far as to say that it's a shame to buy this car and not track it. It's such a fun car on the track. Like you, I didn't buy mine intending to track it. However after 4 track events, I find myself surfing the net looking for the next track event. I'm hooked! Street racing? Just say no.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:26 PM
mfennell
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
The heavy clutch will be a MAJOR problem for you in heavy traffic.
If you drive it enough, you'll get used to it. All my recent cars (FFR Cobra replica, 2 Esprits) have/had "heavy" clutches. To be honest, I didn't even notice it in the GT3 until I read some posts here!

To be fair, I'm almost never in heavy stop and go traffic.

Quick Reply: Hi. First post, about to buy 996 gt3. Reliability/Performance upgrades?