Sponsored by:

ERP Suspension Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 10:50 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ERP Suspension Bushings

I ordered and recieved a set of bearing/solid bushings for the front and rear A-arms. These replace the main pivot bushing on all four a-arms and the kinematic arm bushing on the rear a-arms. I can easily press the bushing for the kinematic arm out, but I am at a loss how to easily remove the inner pivot bushings. They seem to be press formed into the arm and my attempt to remove them from a spare arm has so far resulted in a lot of damage to the arm. Anyone have any experience with this?
Old 02-07-2007, 11:32 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Ed, the inner bearing (the part that attaches to the subframe) is pretty complicated. The bushing in the middle of the control arm is pretty straight forward.

You can call Bob at Stable Energies. He does this work quite frequently. When Jon Groom installed mine, he sent the arms to a machine shop.

Rad
Old 02-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Newman
I ordered and recieved a set of bearing/solid bushings for the front and rear A-arms. These replace the main pivot bushing on all four a-arms and the kinematic arm bushing on the rear a-arms. I can easily press the bushing for the kinematic arm out, but I am at a loss how to easily remove the inner pivot bushings. They seem to be press formed into the arm and my attempt to remove them from a spare arm has so far resulted in a lot of damage to the arm. Anyone have any experience with this?
Where did you get the bearings and bushings? Do you have the part #s? Thanks
Old 02-08-2007, 12:39 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you get get them HERE
Old 02-08-2007, 09:15 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Ok, I played around in the shop a bit today. If I machine the ends off I can press them all out pretty easily. I was playing around on an old set of solid arms. I am running split arms, front and rear and it looks like the cup car rear arms used sperical bearings here and all I need to do is order (4) inner control rod ends and they come empty and ready for the new bearings. Suggestion to others out there... price out the Cup parts before jumping on the ERP parts, they MAY be cheaper.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:17 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed Newman
Ok, I played around in the shop a bit today. If I machine the ends off I can press them all out pretty easily. I was playing around on an old set of solid arms. I am running split arms, front and rear and it looks like the cup car rear arms used sperical bearings here and all I need to do is order (4) inner control rod ends and they come empty and ready for the new bearings. Suggestion to others out there... price out the Cup parts before jumping on the ERP parts, they MAY be cheaper.

did you take pics?
Old 02-08-2007, 09:19 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Car is all still apart. I am getting my Motons overhaulled, installing a new clutch adn flywheel, new engine mounts, new roll cage (done), new battery, cup car rear wing and a bunch of other little tidbits. Shoudl be killer when it is done.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:42 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ed can you run GTC3 with Motons in PCA?
Old 02-09-2007, 10:46 AM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Its a C2 not a cup car so I run in B as prepared. I believe you are correct that you cannot run Motons in GTC.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:11 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Ed, what year C2 is your car?
Old 02-10-2007, 08:01 AM
Cary E
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

The original bushing (rubber) on a one piece and two piece arms is pressed in can can be pulled out but, takes a little work. The OEM bushing is pressed from either side so it has to be pulled on one side first and it will destroy the bushing in the process. You have to use a drift and bend the outside retaining lip up so you can get under it with a split bearing puller then press it out. The one side remaining can then be easily pushed out using a large socket. I will try to take one apart in the next few days and post the pics for future reference. You shouldn't have to machine anything if you do how I've explained.

As far as pricing, the last time I looked at getting some inner bearings from Porsche Motorsport they were a bit over $350 each. The ERP bearing is snap ringed in and easy/inexpensive to replace when it wears out as well.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:52 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

My car is a 2003. I am going to try and put the ERP bearnigs in the motorsports ends which I would believe to be the same as the street ends (all from 2 pc arms) just less the pressed in bushings. If so, it should work out well.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:30 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cary E
The original bushing (rubber) on a one piece and two piece arms is pressed in can can be pulled out but, takes a little work. The OEM bushing is pressed from either side so it has to be pulled on one side first and it will destroy the bushing in the process. You have to use a drift and bend the outside retaining lip up so you can get under it with a split bearing puller then press it out. The one side remaining can then be easily pushed out using a large socket. I will try to take one apart in the next few days and post the pics for future reference. You shouldn't have to machine anything if you do how I've explained.

As far as pricing, the last time I looked at getting some inner bearings from Porsche Motorsport they were a bit over $350 each. The ERP bearing is snap ringed in and easy/inexpensive to replace when it wears out as well.
whoa, mr.ERP himself. thx for chiming in and i look forward to seeing those pics.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:56 PM
Cary E
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

In the pictures below (hope they all made it) I show how I take out the OEM rubber from a one piece arm (exact same procedure for Cup style two piece end). I also show a simple tool I made to help extract the bushing. It's made from a small piece of tubing and two off the shelf bolts. This a tool that can easily be constructed in the average home garage in a short amount of time. The last picture shows a factory GT3 RS bearing on the left and to the right of it is a GT3 Cup/street car piece that originally had rubber like the one piece are which I removed and replaced with an ERP bearing cartridge ... way cheaper than buying Porsche Motorsport parts and serviceable as well. I hope this helps out.
Attached Images         
Old 02-11-2007, 06:30 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Ok, so it looks like what I am missing is the tool in the third picture... what is it and where do I get it?

Quick Reply: ERP Suspension Bushings