Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 everyday...?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 10:18 AM
mfennell
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About vandals, and moving further off on this tangent, I've heard that the the wealthy often encounter quite a lot of resentment in the UK compared to the US. True?
Old 02-07-2007, 01:13 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by mfennell
About vandals, and moving further off on this tangent, I've heard that the the wealthy often encounter quite a lot of resentment in the UK compared to the US. True?
Well, I have not seen data to confirm this.

Here in the USA I seem to get a lot of respect for the most part. More than I did with the 993 C2 or any other car I have owned.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:25 AM
NickC4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the all the pov.

Think roughly that the US Dollar and GB Pound is 1.5 to 1 for Porsche purchasing power. With the exchange rate at approx. 2 to 1 that makes our favourite cars expensive this side of the pond.

When I lived in the US I only had complements - to my face, that is - and my 993 C4S valet parked outside the front of all restaurants, despite asking for that safe place where it would not get dinged.

Porsche-envy, I think is still alive and well in the UK. Parking would be a problem.

Will try a GT3 and make a call on ride comfort, practicality, etc. I have a very congested commute to the office, with average speeds at less than 30 mph, over 25 miles, which includes the M25 motorway.

I'll take a look at the previous threads.

So, for now the jury is still out...

Thanks, Nick
Old 02-18-2007, 07:47 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

When in the UK, as I am this month, I find that Ferrari, BMW and Porsche are not the best for getting around, as I wait eternally at junctions to be let into the traffic stream. I do find that Aston Martin, any old classic sports car and Audi are fine, however. So an Audi RS4 is quite a good car to use to get around the place.

Unfortunately, British arseholes have a taste for nice cars and we all get tarred by the same brush, hence the unpopularity or envy that p car drivers feel from time to time. Don't ever leave your convertible parked with the top down,

R+C
Old 02-18-2007, 10:54 AM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Mine is my daily and it is just fine.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:13 AM
Blacksport350
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another street toy here! Very easy to use as a daily drive even with Euro GT3 seats.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:43 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

It sucks on the streets....... in San francisco. I wouldn't put seats in the back due to liability issues but then don't know how London laws are. Other then that great car for the track which overrides ne of its street deficiencies. Regards. Mike
Old 02-19-2007, 06:28 PM
dmc90025
Instructor

I dig driving my car to work, as long as I miss the peak traffic times. My car has been corner balanced for just me and set for highway driving. My guess is if its set for DE activities, that may be a different feel. Its not so nervous now, though loves to hammer away on Mulholland (very rough surface, probably deliberately so, to keep people from doing exactly this, and the freeway on-ramps are a real hoot!) An occasional open space on the freeways and interchanges makes it all worth the while too.

The bummer is mileage. Daily driving really adds up fast here in LA, where 15K miles/year is the norm. So after two years, you are then looking at what is viewed as a track car, with 30K on the clock, not a good thing when it comes time to move on to another set of wheels. The car will drop like a wet taco in resale value and draw few, in my and the local sage Porsche dealer's opinion.

So for this reason I now park my car 4 out of 5 work days and that is beginning to get old. I have begun to look at other options, perhaps a GT2 or 997 TT, just maybe mileage is not treated as severely, though who really knows.

In summary, and compared to my prior car (sorry not a P-car) - an M5, the GT3 is a real hoot to drive, reliable, comparatively bullet proof, and challenging. I can think of a long list of other cars that can be driven on the highways, that can not make these claims.

Quick Reply: GT3 everyday...?