Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corded tires! Suspension advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 06:19 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Rad, I was hoping you'd answer. Amazing you got so much life out of your tires!

I'd like to do what's best for my baby, but I was hoping to modify more gradually though. Do all of these parts need to be done in one shot?
Old 01-17-2007, 06:42 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by va122
Thanks Rad, I was hoping you'd answer. Amazing you got so much life out of your tires!

I'd like to do what's best for my baby, but I was hoping to modify more gradually though. Do all of these parts need to be done in one shot?
They don't need to be done at one shot. Each part will gradually improve the feedback and stability. At first the Toe links should be done, then the cheap dog bones (upper arms), then the lower arm bushing, then the upper strut mount, then the lower arm bearing.

If cost is an issue, at least do the full rear. If you go gradually, you will need to corner balance and align the car every time, and that adds money to the final bill.

For the rear you should get:
- Upper monoball strut mount (TRG makes a nice one)
- Upper control arms (4): AP Racing, ERP Racing (better), or Porsche MotorSports (Best $$$).
- Solid bushings (2) non adjustable for the lower control arm where they attach to the trailing arm. ERP Racing or GMG. Don't get adjustables, as they're noisy and they move, the adjustable ones are good for Race teams, but not street use.
- Inner monoball bearings for the lower control arms. ERP Racing or Porsche MotorSports.
- Toe links, Tarret, GMG or Porsche MotorSports. The ones I've are identical to the ones on the 997RSR, but recently Porsche MotorSport has been supplying a stiffer less functional design.

Optional:
- A pair of front control arms (two pieces) installed at the rear. Replace the bushings with the solid bushings. This allows to set camber with shims and lock the eccentrics at the position where the control arm has reduced bump steer.

My car was aligned back in May 2006. We checked the alignment before the SCCA Nationals in September 2006, and the rear was spot-on, the front had lost the toe settings, and we set it up again. Since May 2006 the car has been driven for almost 8,000 miles.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:12 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Check to see if the tread on your tires is feathering. This is the best sign of a toe issue. You are running a lot of camber with just street tires. If you were running a soft sidewall competition tire like MPSCs, then it would be a different story.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:15 PM
va122
Drifting

Thanks Rad, You're an incredible resource.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:28 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Vic, call me.

Quick Reply: Corded tires! Suspension advice needed