Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Bleeding Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007 | 02:01 PM
Moving Chicane
Intermediate

Default Brake Bleeding Question

I changed out the rear pads in the 3 a few days ago and bled the brakes. WHen I went to change out the front pads from OEM to Pagids, I found that they sent me the wrong ones. I put back the OEM pads on the right front and bled that side. I didn't bleed the left front telling myself that I wouldn't drive the car until they came in. Whoops, I forgot and drove the car. The brakes were fine, but I have a few questions for the veterans of the 996 GT3.

1. When I get the new pads, do I bleed the just the left front, both fronts or all four corners again?

2. I plan on swapping out the street pads for Pagids everytime before going to the track and then swapping back to the street pads as they are much more quiet on the street. Do I need to bleed the brakes each time I swap out the pads from street to race and back?

Anyother tid bits of information would be very helpful as I am a NewB to this car.

Thanks
Old 01-14-2007 | 02:06 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

you dont NEED to bleed the brakes when you change pads. they are two separate issues.
however, you MAY bleed them if you like.
but if you do bleed the brakes, i would bleed all four corners, 8 nipples.
Old 01-14-2007 | 10:41 PM
Moving Chicane
Intermediate

I needed to change the fluid anyway, but now that I didn't do the front left, should I rebleed all 4 corners again or just that corner?
Old 01-14-2007 | 10:53 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chicane,

So, you bled the RR, LR, and RF... but not the LF, correct? Heck, by the time you get to the RF with a 'proper' bleed, all of the fluid in your reservoir should be new. Meaning, only your LF line should have any significant amount of old fluid left in it.

However, when you spread the LF pads apart, you're going to force some fluid back up, and if there's any doubt about the integrity of your old fluid, then it would be cheap insurance to just take an hour and rebleed the entire system.

As Mooty said, bleed all the nipples... outside first, then inside. If you really want to be thorough, bleed the clutch, too.

No need to rebleed with simple pad changes unless your fluid is cooked.

Quick Reply: Brake Bleeding Question