Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RS wing install a DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007 | 11:49 PM
john0719
Racer

Default RS wing install a DIY?

I've just received my very long awaited carbon fiber RS wing. The install looks fairly simple but I just want to make sure with those who have done the installation themselves. Anything to watch out for? TIA for any suggestions.
Old 01-10-2007 | 01:24 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

towel, tape whatever it takes when you push out the painted plugs on the wing supports. the plugs may crack.
Old 01-10-2007 | 04:00 AM
pmjt
Intermediate

It's very easy - pop the plugs off (taking care as per mooty's comments), this presents you with a pair of hex drive bolts, undo them TAKE CARE NOT TO DROP THEM down the cavity in each of the risers, then just lift up - you may find there is double sided tape under the spoiler, some have, some don't.

To fit the new spoiler, drop the locating lugs into the the risers and you will need to get your finger down inside where the bolt was removed from - you'll feel a 'button' which needs to be depressed in order to allow the spoiler's retaining arms to drop inside the riser fully - can be a bit fiddly.

Refit the hex bolts TAKING CARE not to drop them inside the riser, tighten up then refit the caps - it's very easy - enjoy

Philip
Old 01-10-2007 | 12:15 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Its an easy DIY, just take care when removing the plugs.
Old 01-10-2007 | 01:23 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

if you rip up the plugs...Eric at Bumperplugs can paint you up some new ones...don't ask me how I know
Old 01-10-2007 | 05:10 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pmjt
It's very easy - pop the plugs off (taking care as per mooty's comments), this presents you with a pair of hex drive bolts, undo them TAKE CARE NOT TO DROP THEM down the cavity in each of the risers, then just lift up - you may find there is double sided tape under the spoiler, some have, some don't.

To fit the new spoiler, drop the locating lugs into the the risers and you will need to get your finger down inside where the bolt was removed from - you'll feel a 'button' which needs to be depressed in order to allow the spoiler's retaining arms to drop inside the riser fully - can be a bit fiddly.

Refit the hex bolts TAKING CARE not to drop them inside the riser, tighten up then refit the caps - it's very easy - enjoy

Philip
Mine was a torx head screw rather than a hex head. I assume you can use a hex driver on a torx? You will also need to depress the "button" to release it out.
Old 01-10-2007 | 07:44 PM
pmjt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
Mine was a torx head screw rather than a hex head. I assume you can use a hex driver on a torx? You will also need to depress the "button" to release it out.

Sorry - I meant torx it was late when I typed it up - interesting, my wing will lift without the buttons being depressed, but needs it to refit.

Philip
Old 01-10-2007 | 08:07 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry - I meant torx it was late when I typed it up - interesting, my wing will lift without the buttons being depressed, but needs it to refit.

Philip
I've helped two other guys install theirs, and all of ours require the button to be pressed to lift out. I'm sure it's a safety thing. Consider if there were no stop, and the screws come loose. The blade could fly right off.
Old 01-11-2007 | 12:51 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Agree, the darn plugs are usually hard to get out without ruining them.

Protect the work area inside the decklid to wing vertical struts with soft towels. You can use strips of painters masking tape around the plug area on the vertical struts to protect the paint while you are gently prying the plug lip away from the strut surface.
Old 01-11-2007 | 01:40 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

you might also want to get the shims (there are 4 degree or 8 degree) while you are at it...(although it's been reported the rs wing generates more downforce than the stock wing even when it is all the way down I found good balance with the cup front splitter and 4 degree shims)...they are an ugly color and show a little bit...I got some touch up paint and painted just the part that would show....

Old 01-11-2007 | 03:39 PM
RK1
Instructor

It would be great if someone made rubber plugs to replace the plastic ones. My car is ATLAS gray and it would be hard to see black rubber plugs.

K1
Old 01-11-2007 | 07:59 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

RK1...the plugs are available from the dealer in primer....

part numbers 996 512 965 and 966...the left and right are slightly different...
Old 01-12-2007 | 09:06 AM
john0719
Racer

Philip
Philip or anyone, I have one more question for you. It seems my new RS wing didn't come with the metal retaining arms. Is it suppose to? What do I do?

Last edited by john0719; 01-12-2007 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-12-2007 | 09:40 AM
john0719
Racer

This is what it looks like.
http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/img_7085_copy1.jpg
Old 01-12-2007 | 12:41 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

that isn't going to work...mine came with it's own brackets...I don't know if the brackets on the stock wing will fit...there are several small torx screws that hold the bracket to the stock wing...

Quick Reply: RS wing install a DIY?