Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First mod to my GT3. Quick Toe Link Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 09:23 PM
gt3_002
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im still new to my GT3 and to me it drives fine and dont know how much more I need to do to see any more improvement, but all this talk about toe link and camber issues and aligment issues make me worry. When I purchased my car the last owner did an alignment. Can some one tell me if this is okay to drive on? Or should I do this toe link think your doing Dell? Attach is the alignment sheet.
Attached Images  
Old 01-03-2007, 09:45 PM
jim911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default toe link

Would someone please explain what this toe link thing is all about. Thanks
Old 01-03-2007, 09:58 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gt3_002, I think that your alignment is fine for the street. It didn't seem to be that far out to begin with, except for too much rear toe-in.

Here's the deal on the toe links. First, it is a part for the track, and is not required at all for street driving. Second, it is only necessary if one is having problems maintaining proper rear toe setting. I tracked my GT3 for 2 seasons on slicks and never had a problem with the stock setup.

Here's the deal. The rear camber and toe is adjusted by eccentic bolts in the rear subframe. If they are not tightened properly, they can turn under load, changing the settings and possibly galling the friction surfaces. If that happens, they can never really be tight again. What the remedy is (comes factory on the cup cars) is to just have round bolts that cannot move, and use turn buckles (like on your tie rods) to change the length of the rod, thereby adjusting the toe setting. No matter how much you load this arrangement, it will not change.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:45 AM
rabjohns
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Modoc
LVD, I'm at about the same place in GT3 ownership and experience as are you but I'm not as fortunate to have a shop like Synergy in my area here in the midwest. Is there anyone on the forum who knows of a shop with similar credentials in the midwest.... st. Louis, louisville, nashville, indianapolis?

Joe D
Midwest Eurosport in Joliet or Bensenville, IL is the best place to go. They are the race experts and know a lot about GT3s.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:32 AM
jim911
Racer

Thanks guys
Old 01-04-2007, 07:29 PM
Modoc
Instructor

[QUOTE=rabjohns]Midwest Eurosport in Joliet or Bensenville, IL is the best place to go. They are the race experts and know a lot about GT3s.[/QUOTEThanks alot . I was beginning to think the midwest was not GT3 friendly.

I'll try to contact them . Appreciate any other info you come across. Have you had any personal experience with them?
Joe D.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:30 PM
Austin
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Arrow

Originally Posted by jim911
Would someone please explain what this toe link thing is all about. Thanks
The inherent problem with the GT3 and GT2 are compromised suspensions. The compromise is as always:
comfort vs. performance vs. Porsche financial vs. Porsche engineering

One result is rubber used as the interface between suspension components. Although fasteners may be secured correctly, and aligment rack readings are set, the alignment settings on the GT3 are always changing during driving. Eccentrics and hardware are meant to be secured tightly, and if so permit the suspension to attempt fulfilling its obligation to the car and driver. Provided the hardware is successfully set, the rubber will flex. Toe, caster, and camber changes occur during driving street or track... in acceleration, braking, and cornering. Limiting flex through upgraded toe arms, shock mounts, upper arms or lower arms with spherical bearings or solid mounts better retains alignment settings and reinforce the communication between the driver, car, tires, and road.

The flex occurs during acceleration, cornering and braking. Toe changes are most significant during sport or race driving maneuvers.

For the United States DOT, passenger cars are designed with inherent understeet aka push. To this end, Porsche has equipped all GT3's with front monoball shock mounts and rear rubber mounts. The front tie rods (aka front toe arms) are also more rigid than those used on the rear. Additionally, the use of rubber bushings in all rear suspension arms promote the back of the car to be loose, encouraging understeer.

The most accessible solution to the flex issue is replacement of rear toe arms. Ideally these are replaced while upgrading upper shock mounts. Have your mechanic save your old toe arms, and examine them, if the car has been pushed, you'll find excessive flex marks or even tears in the rubber bushings.

Other compromises are spring rates, damping and suspension travel.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:51 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info, Larry and Austin.

For a newbie GT3 guy like me, I like hearing a bit more about "why" upgrades are really needed and under what circumstances. I totally understand why a guy tracking the GT3 would want these particular upgrades. WRT these mods and all the other stuff you hard-core tracking guys do, I need to figure out what would apply to my situation of mainly street driving and some autox. At least to start with.....then bring on the track days!

Thanks again, guys. I love this forum.

Allan
2004 996 GT3
Old 01-04-2007, 10:59 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

LVD, I'm at about the same place in GT3 ownership and experience as are you but I'm not as fortunate to have a shop like Synergy in my area here in the midwest. Is there anyone on the forum who knows of a shop with similar credentials in the midwest.... st. Louis, louisville, nashville, indianapolis?

Joe D
I could recommend shops in Cincy and Indy. Some of these guys are not as high profile as Synergy but they have just as much experience and knowledge. Nothing in Louisville that I am familiar with. But the dealer in Lexington is good.
Also as Brian at http://www.buxtonmotorsports.com/ in Evansville, he may know someone there.
I grew up just south of you in Madisonville KY.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:18 AM
Modoc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
I could recommend shops in Cincy and Indy. Some of these guys are not as high profile as Synergy but they have just as much experience and knowledge. Nothing in Louisville that I am familiar with. But the dealer in Lexington is good.
Also as Brian at http://www.buxtonmotorsports.com/ in Evansville, he may know someone there.
I grew up just south of you in Madisonville KY.

Greg, thanks for the info re Lexington dealer. How would you compare the Lex dealer to Bluegrass in Louisville? The Lex dealer seems to carry a lot of inventory or did when I was looking. I went to med school there but so many years ago I don't recall where dealership is located. Also, I would be interested in the names of Indianapolis shops. I'm there more often than Lex.

BTW were you at the Pumpkin Run at Putnam Park last Oct. ? It was my first in my GT3 and I recall a GT3 from Lexington on the participants list.

Thanks
Joe D
Old 01-05-2007, 09:17 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Joe,
I wasn't at the Oct Putnam event and I don't own a GT3. Probably was a guy named David Ratliff in a white GT3? He gets his car worked on/aligned at the Lexington dealer. This is a relatively new dealership out in the Hamburg development, I think they are in their 2nd year of business so that is probably why you don't remember where it is.

I didn't have the best of luck with the Louisville dealer but that was with my 993 I bought from them in 1997. A lot could have changed since the last time I used them. From then on I used a local shop or a race shop in Cincinnati.

I would talk to Terry Heath at http://www.euromotorworks.com/ . He is a PCA racer and instructor and very meticulous. He races a 997 in a professional series so he is current on the newer Porsches also.

Check out the Ohio Valley Region's website for info on their April event at Mid Ohio. I will be there instructing, probably at Putnam a few times in the spring also.

Greg
Old 01-05-2007, 06:50 PM
Modoc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
Joe,
I wasn't at the Oct Putnam event and I don't own a GT3. Probably was a guy named David Ratliff in a white GT3? He gets his car worked on/aligned at the Lexington dealer. This is a relatively new dealership out in the Hamburg development, I think they are in their 2nd year of business so that is probably why you don't remember where it is.

I didn't have the best of luck with the Louisville dealer but that was with my 993 I bought from them in 1997. A lot could have changed since the last time I used them. From then on I used a local shop or a race shop in Cincinnati.

I would talk to Terry Heath at http://www.euromotorworks.com/ . He is a PCA racer and instructor and very meticulous. He races a 997 in a professional series so he is current on the newer Porsches also.

Check out the Ohio Valley Region's website for info on their April event at Mid Ohio. I will be there instructing, probably at Putnam a few times in the spring also.

Greg
Greg, thanks for info. Haven't been able to get the website in indy yet but will call them. I'm interested in private instruction for GT3 and would like to go to mid ohio some time when you're going or putnam would work . Had thought about going back to Barber for a DE with the Alabama region and having instruction by John Lewis who is a PDE instructor who is very good and has a lot of GT3 experience as well.
Thanks again and I'll stay in touch. Send your schedule if you can re Mid Ohio and Putnam
Joe D
Old 01-05-2007, 09:26 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Greg, thanks for info. Haven't been able to get the website in indy yet but will call them. I'm interested in private instruction for GT3 and would like to go to mid ohio some time when you're going or putnam would work . Had thought about going back to Barber for a DE with the Alabama region and having instruction by John Lewis who is a PDE instructor who is very good and has a lot of GT3 experience as well.
Thanks again and I'll stay in touch. Send your schedule if you can re Mid Ohio and Putnam
Joe D
Terry would be a great instructor and I know a few others that would be as well. The Ohio Valley Region has lots of experienced instructors (including myself) that I could recommend for you. Several local pros are there also to help most of the time.

I know I will be at the April OVR event at Mid Ohio, and most likely the CIR event at Putnam Park.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:33 PM
Pbacon
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I was happy with what Synergy did with my set up. Talk to Greg and send him my regards. You might ask him if he can get the same rear toe-links that I have. He was impressed with them.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:37 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I have already ordered the Toe Links from Austin at TRG. If you don't mind could you elaborate what Synergy did for you re: your setup? If you prefer shoot me a PM. Thanks!

Quick Reply: First mod to my GT3. Quick Toe Link Question