Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 rolls at The Ring

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007 | 04:47 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Haku
Nordschleife, thanks for a VERY informative post. You highlight the very important issue of visualisation and concentration which I for one sometimes overlook. My thanks.

I am more convinced than ever that one should do some sort of PDE equivalent prior to track or other high performance driving. I'm going to enroll on one pronto.
+1

I've got a lot to learn and I'm going to start with autox school with this beast. Last night I was out in the GT3 in light rain (I can't always wait for good weather around here) and when I was going up a slight hill in 2nd gear, I decided to boot it a bit. Maybe I was at 2/3 throttle - I was trying to take it easy. Anyhow, the car was accelerating fine until around 5K rpm when the rear end broke loose and the car started to rotate. I recovered just fine, but it was a gentle reminder that this car must be respected.

Cheers,

Allan
Old 01-03-2007 | 03:44 AM
boqueron
Pro

HTML Code:
In this case, it is quite apparent that the driver is not on top of the task in hand. Firstly, he is off line, is he even looking where he wants to go? He enters the corner in a state of indecision, at which point life begins to get interesting, the car is driving him. Suddenly the car starts to feel 'strange' because the driver is not attuned to what is going on, when he finally wakes up, what does he do - big lift - this isn't his first mistake, and its not his last either, next he dosn't deal with the throttle off induced snap oversteer in a timely fashion. He is late reacting to the tail going out, and when he does finally wake up, he pile on corrective opposite lock hard and holds it...... too long. common mistake, 'whoops, we need to fix this, never mind I'm a bit late, I'll countersteer as fast as I can and....... oh goodie, its working, ah, its coming back, that feels better, nearly done - ooooopppps - the other way, aaaaghhh' - BANG.
Perfect description of what has happened to me twice,,,, Which helpped me to learn how to handle the situation.... until now...

Is there any way to learn the limits without crossing the bridge occasionally ?
Old 01-03-2007 | 04:04 AM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
+1

Most of the drivers who end up spinning recognize the situation too late (at least for their skills).
Exactly. I remember Mario Andretti once said that one of the reasons why he was still competitive late in his career (early '90s) was because he knew how to anticipate what was going on with his car before a potential incident could happen.

Btw, FF, let me know if you still want to read that GV book.
Old 01-03-2007 | 09:31 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by boqueron
Is there any way to learn the limits without crossing the bridge occasionally ?
A few years of intense Karting or Autocrossing are the 2 best ways. A third way (but not as efficient) is to step back into a very slow car with street tires and drive that. There is no other way. You cannot learn car control by osmosis.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 01-03-2007 | 10:10 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
A few years of intense Karting or Autocrossing are the 2 best ways. A third way (but not as efficient) is to step back into a very slow car with street tires and drive that. There is no other way. You cannot learn car control by osmosis.
+1 And if you live in a climate where there's snow & ice, that's a very good way to learn car control.
And every time it rains when you're at track or autoX, don't be like most of the guys who stay in the garage, go out and use that "special practice" time to learn. At track, you of course need to be careful but usually all tracks have at least a corner or two where it's safe to spin.
Old 01-03-2007 | 11:15 AM
boqueron
Pro

HTML Code:
...usually all tracks have at least a corner or two where it's safe to spin.
Then.....you have to cross the bridge occasionally ......
Old 01-03-2007 | 12:59 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

HTML Code:
...usually all tracks have at least a corner or two where it's safe to spin.
Then.....you have to cross the bridge occasionally ......
Of course.

When I was driving motocross I had a t-shirt that said "if you never fall, you're not trying hard enough", same rule applies here.
Old 01-03-2007 | 03:00 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

My 'course' for producing new race drivers ivolves the following, or near to it

The Audi Germany initial 2 Day course - the instructors are fantastic
the Audi 2 Days at a F1 track
The Audi Winter Driving Pro course in Finland - ice and studs
then
Porsche Courses at Leipzig through the race / data ac course
whilst all that is going on, they do the Zakspeed race licence course, the drift day(s) at Bitburg, and start on the Scuderia Hanseat driving days at the 'Ring.
The reason I start with Audi is related to the quality of instruction and the peculiar layout of the Audi cars, you learn a lot about understeer and learning to induce induce oversteer is instructive.

R+C
Old 01-03-2007 | 03:37 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Of course.

When I was driving motocross I had a t-shirt that said "if you never fall, you're not trying hard enough", same rule applies here.
Funny when I was in Formula racing I had a t-shirt that said "if you never spin, you're not trying hard enough!"
Old 01-03-2007 | 03:41 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
...You cannot learn car control by osmosis.

Practice, Practice and practice makes better...it's the only way!
Old 01-03-2007 | 04:54 PM
boqueron
Pro

Nordschleife,

I have attended all kind of driving courses,dry,wet,ice... Could you explain a bit more the
HTML Code:
whilst all that is going on, they do the Zakspeed race licence course, the drift day(s) at Bitburg, and start on the Scuderia Hanseat driving days at the 'Ring.
? Any way, I imagine that they are in ..German ?
Old 01-03-2007 | 06:01 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
My 'course' for producing new race drivers ivolves the following, or near to it

The Audi Germany initial 2 Day course - the instructors are fantastic
the Audi 2 Days at a F1 track
The Audi Winter Driving Pro course in Finland - ice and studs
then
The reason I start with Audi is related to the quality of instruction and the peculiar layout of the Audi cars, you learn a lot about understeer and learning to induce induce oversteer is instructive.

R+C
Very helpful thanks! I'm going to try to hit some of these.
Old 01-03-2007 | 06:38 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Nordschleife,

I have attended all kind of driving courses,dry,wet,ice... Could you explain a bit more the
HTML Code:
? Any way, I imagine that they are in ..German ?
Almost all the instructors speak English, there are Spanish courses from time to time, I've been at Circuit de Catalunya when all the Latin Americans came over.

Porsche Leipzig has a series of courses which start off fairly basic and end up teaching you in a GT3 Cup car. Check out - http://www.porsche.com/germany/sport.../reservations/ for starters

Hope this helps

R+C
Old 01-04-2007 | 02:19 AM
boqueron
Pro

Nordschleife,

Thanks. Porsche courses are the only easy ones to book in Spain. Problem is that they are far from being exciting here....in any of their levels..

Long time ago I contacted Audi Spain , for their Ice tution, only to find that they will only give courses to ....Audi owners . Well I am attending a two day ice track course in France next month. .. I have been able to find the Zakspeed site and info but couldn't find much on the drift days at Bitsburg.

Any clue ?
Old 01-04-2007 | 05:36 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Nordschleife,

Thanks. Porsche courses are the only easy ones to book in Spain. Problem is that they are far from being exciting here....in any of their levels..

Long time ago I contacted Audi Spain , for their Ice tution, only to find that they will only give courses to ....Audi owners . Well I am attending a two day ice track course in France next month. .. I have been able to find the Zakspeed site and info but couldn't find much on the drift days at Bitsburg.

Any clue ?

Here is a link you will find helpful for Bitberg Driftschool training - http://www.pistenclub.de/
and
http://www.driftpromotion.com/index_1.html

Zakspeed run the DMSB licence training school.

As far as Audi are concerned. Go directly to the Driving Experience office in Ingolstadt,
AUDI AG
Audi driving experience
D-85045 Ingolstadt
Tel.: +49 841 89-3 29 00
Fax: +49 841 89-3 51 46

Rainer K. usually fixes everything up, otherwise speak to the boss, Demel is his name.
If going to Finland, be sure and go on the course where you get to do a night rally stage with Sepp H driving.......

R+C

Quick Reply: GT3 rolls at The Ring