Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

factory painted center consoles: finish too fragile?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 11:16 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default factory painted center consoles: finish too fragile?

just looking for some feedback as I may change my RS order based on your feedback

thanks
Old 12-23-2006, 11:49 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 562 Posts

I have 6,000 miles on my car and the painted center console looks great.
Old 12-24-2006, 04:29 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the answer is, it depends

Some people scratch things in their cars, some don't. If you are a scratcher, ie your door trim is scuffed by your feet as you get in and out, the place you put your keys, phone, pager etc is worn, then you might be better with a non paint finish. This is worst case, I'm talking about.

R+C
Old 12-24-2006, 04:32 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I ordered a painted console from Eric, but then I quickly changed my mind after thinking about the abuse it would take with my harnesses. So if you plan on tracking the car and having harnesses I'd think you'd be better off not getting the console painted.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:19 AM
Blacksport350
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rob in VA
I ordered a painted console from Eric, but then I quickly changed my mind after thinking about the abuse it would take with my harnesses. So if you plan on tracking the car and having harnesses I'd think you'd be better off not getting the console painted.
I was thinking the same thing, the soft touch or leather consoles wouldn't chip if hit with the harness buckle. That being said, a buddy that was had harnesses in his '03 X50 with Euro seats and harnesses now has 40K miles and I don't recall seeing chips on his painted console. He gives the harnesses heavy use. I think it all depends how you treat it and how **** you are.

I personally would go for leather over paint if you want an upgrade and will use harnesses. Any scratches that appear on the leather over the years can get airbrushed out.
Old 12-25-2006, 03:25 PM
Shrews
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a the center console painted in my Black C4S. It was prone to scratching (as was the exterior tho) but it looked fabulous when cleaned up. I now have the artic silver center console in my gt3 which seems much less prone to showing blemishes. All that said, i will definetly get the consold painted in my next Porsche (gt3 RS,) now if i could just make up my mind on exterior color.....
Old 12-26-2006, 06:54 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a painted console (silver) on my turbo. Car has 37k miles...plenty of track time ... never cleaned ... and center console had no visible scratches (and I beat the hell out of the car...even had my dogs climbing all over the interior). My current GT3 has painted center...no visible scratches (of course only 1000 miles). It's pretty resilient. I think it will take the same amount of "abuse" to scratch the painted console as it will to scuff the leather or plastic...IMO

Quick Reply: factory painted center consoles: finish too fragile?