Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Living with GT3 seats ???? Help please

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006 | 02:24 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Question Living with GT3 seats ???? Help please

I have been offered a pair of GT3 seats for Rufus. I REALLY want Ruf seats, but gawd almighty, they must be made of unobtainium or something. The GT3 seats have never thrilled me with their appearance... their huge "wings" at the drivers head... but I'm also worried about the lack of the recline and flip forward feature. I'm the only driver of my car, and I have no more small kids to attempt to stuff in the rear seats. How are those seats for everyday comfort for long trips? I assume they provide excellent support for agressive driving.

Thanks

Last edited by ca993twin; 12-13-2006 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-13-2006 | 03:04 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

How big are ya?? I'm 6'4" and only find them tight when my weight starts pushing 210lbs. They do alright for longer rides but I wouldn't want them in a daily driver. YMMV.
Old 12-13-2006 | 03:04 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Steve, you worry for nothing. Those seats are very comfortable (unless you're fat).

I don't have GT3 seats but Sparco Evos which when sitting, feel pretty much exactly the same (I've tried back to back). Gives very good lateral support when driving harder yet still are comfortable IMO.
I have herniated disc on my back but even in longer drives (2.5-3 hours to Sebring), I have no problems with bucket seats.
Even my wife prefers them (I used to have 993 Sport Seats) because she doesn't have to hold on to anything...

Last edited by Flying Finn; 12-13-2006 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-13-2006 | 03:08 PM
Holger B
Race Car

They're comfortable once you're in them, it's the getting in & out that takes some getting used to.

Also, you can pretty much forget about using the back of the car after you install them. (Good excuse to get a roll bar.)
Old 12-13-2006 | 03:11 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
I have herniated dick on my back
Funniest thing I read all day. Where are Beavis & Butthead when I need them?

Old 12-13-2006 | 03:18 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Thanks you guys, and especially FF for the humorous typo. I'm a small guy (a midget, actually) and weigh in at 150 lbs. I keep my stock 993 seat at the highest position. I'm worried that without a recline adjustment, you just get what you get. But everyone likes different seat back postitions. How does that work so well?
Old 12-13-2006 | 03:21 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

I have herniated dick on my back .
wo..... TMI
and all these years i thought i had a typing problem
Old 12-13-2006 | 03:23 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ca993twin
Thanks you guys, and especially FF for the humorous typo. I'm a small guy (a midget, actually) and weigh in at 150 lbs. I keep my stock 993 seat at the highest position. I'm worried that without a recline adjustment, you just get what you get. But everyone likes different seat back postitions. How does that work so well?

steve, i am 185 lbs, 5'9" 33" waist.
GT3 seats fits fine. i put 22000 miles in my car in 11 months, so lots of driving, never an issue. my back isn't as bad as finn's but it isnt' all that great, but still no prob with the seats.
Old 12-13-2006 | 03:40 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

I have a tailbone that is fused to the first vertebrae(sp?). Any seat after more than an hour of driving is a pain for me. I'm about 5-7 170 lbs and I have 31 waist.
I've had my GT3 seats for over a year and a half. I only intended to use them during the summer for driving events but they really change the whole experience.
I measured the seat in the highest seated position and on the floor board with the GT3.
with the stock seat I can see down the hood entirely. With the GT3 I get the street level view.
took a little getting use to. The big proble is turning your neck to see behind you for parking or driving in reverse. There's a bit of blindspot now and its not the most comfortable thing turning your neck.
Getting out is the biggie. I have strong mid section so its easy in and out for me. I lift off with my right hand on the e-brake, which resulted in one cracked e-brake cover that had to be replaced.
For passengers oh boy. They hate it. you should see my 70 year old father trying to get out.
And my lady friend with the 25 inch waist complains every time. I thought about swapping out the passenger GT3 and putting those cool painted backs with the little winlets on the stock seat. I think only one racing seat would look kind of nifty.
The seats are are coming with me if I can find another silver and read Cayman$ or C4$.
Old 12-13-2006 | 04:01 PM
db_gt3
Instructor

Originally Posted by ca993twin
I keep my stock 993 seat at the highest position. I'm worried that without a recline adjustment, you just get what you get. But everyone likes different seat back postitions. How does that work so well?
They are so much more comfortable than sport seats. Vey cozy. If you are worried about seatposition Brey-Krausse makes an assortment of adjustable seat brackets which can change height and seatback angle. I got the lowering brackets because I need the headroom at the track.
Old 12-13-2006 | 04:30 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Holger B
Funniest thing I read all day. Where are Beavis & Butthead when I need them?

No, where's the spellcheck when I need it?!
Old 12-13-2006 | 04:35 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

I don't have GT3 seats but Sparco Evos which when sitting, feel pretty much exactly the same (I've tried back to back).
I'd disagree with this. I had a set of Sparco Evos (first the big boy Evo 3/XL, then the standard Evo) in my old M3. The Evo has more lumbar support, more under-leg cushioning in the lower thigh area, and less batman wing-style action in the head area when compared to 996 GT3 seats. I'm 6'0, 175lbs and I was more comfortable in the regular Evo than I am in the GT3 seat.

The 996 GT3 seat is identical in fit to the Recaro Pole Position.

The GT3 seat has zero lumbar support. It'd behoove me to get an insert for my lower back area, because on trips longer than an hour, my back begins to ache and half my butt falls asleep. Everyone's body type is different, though. Just my experience.
Old 12-13-2006 | 04:38 PM
cchan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by perfectlap
Getting out is the biggie. I have strong mid section so its easy in and out for me. I lift off with my right hand on the e-brake, which resulted in one cracked e-brake cover that had to be replaced.
Try putting left hand on the door sill next to the seat, for getting in and out. I used to use the e-brake for support too, but this works a lot better - more solid, won't be reaching, and nothing to break. Helps to get your body over the outside bolster without rubbing it as much too.
Old 12-13-2006 | 06:29 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
steve, i am 185 lbs, 5'9" 33" waist.
GT3 seats fits fine. i put 22000 miles in my car in 11 months, so lots of driving, never an issue. my back isn't as bad as finn's but it isnt' all that great, but still no prob with the seats.
I'm about the same size as Mooty, and found the GT3 seats barely bearable for the long drone down I5 between San Francisco and Los Angeles. They are great for the track, but only marginally acceptable for normal street use, IMO.

Contrary to another comment, I find the stock Sport seat much more comfortable than the GT3 seat. My bony rear-end needs the additional padding of the Sport seat. On that trip down I5 to LA, my buns got a bit numb.

BTW, when I decided to take my GT3 off the track, there was no question in my mind of reverting to the Sport seat. Sold the GT3 seats right away.
Old 12-13-2006 | 07:22 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

The GT3 seat does not fit me as well and is not nearly as comfortable as the Pole Position. I am 5'4" short and 135 lbs wet. The side bolsters on the GT3 seat hit me under my arm pits. This doesn't happen with my Pole Position seats.

Quick Reply: Living with GT3 seats ???? Help please