996 RS Suspension Parts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 06:47 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thusly
As far as 996 suspension world (from best to stock):

GT-3 RSR > GT-3 (with RS uprights, monoballs, links) > GT-3 RS (race) > GT-3 R > GT-3 Cup > GT-3 street
So where does the GT3 RS road car fit in that ranking? And what would one ideally change on a GT3 RS and why?
Old 01-05-2007, 07:39 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DanH
So where does the GT3 RS road car fit in that ranking? And what would one ideally change on a GT3 RS and why?
All the soft rubber from the front and rear lower control arms, the inner bushings from the front and rear control arms, the 4 upper control arms to monoball, the rear toe link to the GT3 Cup, the spring rates (good for street, not for track), the rear upper strut mounts to monoball and the shocks.

Pretty much everything but the front an rear uprights.

Why? Because you want to go faster while making it easier
Old 01-05-2007, 08:08 PM
thusly
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Besides what NJ-GT said, alignment changes/fluctuates because of the rubber bushings heating up and contracting during use and cool down, resulting in changed alignment settings. Monoballs provide much more stable/consistent alignment settings, as well as providing crisper turn-in.

I added Motons to my RS suspension set-up besides monoballs, allowing greater rebound adjustability over stock.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:32 PM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 656 Likes on 204 Posts

Just so you all get this straight...those parts shown in the first picture are from a 2001-2003 GT3RS Race car...not street stuff....They are not the same as the Cup. The double bolt front carriers and 6 bolt rear uprights were introduced on the 2004 GT3RSR race car, then carried over to the 997 Cup. They also were introduced to the public on the GT3RS Street car for MY 2005.

I hope this helps....

Rick DeMan

DeMan Motorsport
Upper Nyack, NY
845 727 3070
Porsche Sales & Service
Porsche Race services and parts
www.DeManMotorsport.com
Old 01-05-2007, 08:34 PM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 656 Likes on 204 Posts

BTW, the parts in the picture are a big improvement over the stock GT3 street car and cup. Not as big an improvement as the RSR parts but a very good upgrade. Also the 996 Cup and the GT3 street share the same geometry and parts.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:01 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
All the soft rubber from the front and rear lower control arms, the inner bushings from the front and rear control arms, the 4 upper control arms to monoball, the rear toe link to the GT3 Cup, the spring rates (good for street, not for track), the rear upper strut mounts to monoball and the shocks.

Pretty much everything but the front an rear uprights.

Why? Because you want to go faster while making it easier
Most of that wouldn't appeal to me since monoballs get trashed with street use and once they start rattling I don't see how they can provide the accuracy that was originally looked for. What do the different toe links offer?

Theres a real risk of ruining a good road/track car into a crap cup car with this type of mod I suspect.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:45 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DanH
Most of that wouldn't appeal to me since monoballs get trashed with street use and once they start rattling I don't see how they can provide the accuracy that was originally looked for. What do the different toe links offer?

Theres a real risk of ruining a good road/track car into a crap cup car with this type of mod I suspect.
There are plenty of posts about the toe links, but given your concerns, I would not do that either, because they're monoball. The front GT3 RS stock camber plates are monoball as well, so you should replace them with a rubber or hard plastic one to prevent them to get trashed, and give you lack of accuracy.

I've 9,000 miles with full monoballs, and noises whatsoever. I keep them lubricated and protected against dust.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:01 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FWIW: ALMS GT3 RSR (Type 996) - October 2006

Old 01-06-2007, 09:25 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
There are plenty of posts about the toe links, but given your concerns, I would not do that either, because they're monoball. The front GT3 RS stock camber plates are monoball as well, so you should replace them with a rubber or hard plastic one to prevent them to get trashed, and give you lack of accuracy.

I've 9,000 miles with full monoballs, and noises whatsoever. I keep them lubricated and protected against dust.
lol. I guess Porsche thought the camber plates were a reasonable compromise. Just don't want to make my car an overweight cup car.

Has your 9k miles been on good roads etc? My comment about wear was just what I'd been advised by UK tuners who race. Our roads are terrible and the climate means a water+dirt around.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:57 AM
Red9
Racer

Given that original point of thread was answered another question arises--- what are the differences between 996 GT3 and GT3RS (street versions) suspension/running gear parts? Brakes? Are the parts interchangeable? Is there a thread already that deals with this?
Old 02-07-2007, 11:10 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Red9
what are the differences between 996 GT3 and GT3RS (street versions) suspension/running gear parts? Brakes? Are the parts interchangeable? Is there a thread already that deals with this?
I posted a list with pricing (cheapest I could find during 10/06) in THIS thread.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:17 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Now that chassis is seam-welded!
Old 02-07-2007, 05:58 PM
Red9
Racer

Originally Posted by MetalSolid
Now that chassis is seam-welded!
I presume you mean in 997? What was difference in shell for 996?

Quick Reply: 996 RS Suspension Parts?