Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMG WCGT3 and GT2 WIN TIME ATTACK FINALE @ Buttonwillow!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 03:04 AM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 451 Likes on 268 Posts
Default GMG WCGT3 and GT2 WIN TIME ATTACK FINALE @ Buttonwillow!

I am pleased to announce that we were able to win the SuperStreet /Eurotuner /NASA Time Attack Finale held at Buttonwillow this past week .

The Time Attack is sort of "Time Trialing" based on Japanese format of elimination- fastest cars advancing to the final rounds based on lap times. There were 6 qualifying rounds held throughout the year at various tracks in order to qualify for this event. Most recently we were able to win the qualifying round at Infineon Sears Pt and set a new track record.

With more than 80 entrants @ Buttonwillow competing for the overall win and 6 class titles on the line we knew this would not be easy show up and walk away with everything.
Sure enough as expected there were some very fast and very purpose built Time Attack cars by many of Japans top tuners.

The GMG/Rennworx/Dymag/Toyo Tires WCGT Porsche Cup car (#14 in World Challenge GT) driven by James Sofronas posted the fastest time of the day taking the top prize of Fastest car overall as well as winning the unlimited class overall.

The second place car was a 700+hp Skyline GTR purpose builtand driven by one of Japans drift kings.. Complete with wide body and shod with Hoosier DOTR tires.
The battle was intense, James was able to put down a flier posting a 1;49;000 lap time compared to the XS engineering Skyline GTR's time of 1;49;261.

Very close indeed but the Porsche proved victorious!

I am also very pleased to annouce we won the "limited" class which is open to any ( any configuartion) but has to be licensed on for road use and insured however has to run on a tire that was rated @100 UTQ or more .
We ran our GMG GT2 in this class - Running on left over Toyo Ra-1's (old race tires) we won the limited production class overall and had the 4th fastest time of the day ( overall) @ 1;53;4xx ( over 3+ seconds faster than any car in its class )

Our GT2 was run with the following modifications
GIAC/GMG Software 91 octane mode- GMGWCGT Sport Exhaust with 200 cell sport catalyst- Stock Airfilter- Moton Club Sport Damper- GMG Upper Dog Bones- GMG Inner A Arm bearings-GMG Thrust Arm bushings- GMG Toe steer kit.
Champion Magnesium GT wheels with Toyo RA1 305 rear and 245 front.
GMG Competition alignment and corner balance
For Safety our GMG GT Harness/Rollbar was installed with Sparco 5 point harness.
Complete interior was left intact.- including floor mats.

Attached are a few pictures from the event.. Look for a complete story on the event in the upcoming SuperStreet and Eurotuner Magazines.

Special thanks to our partners for this event:
Bill from Rennworx/Dymag ( Carbon Mag wheels )
Toyo Tires
Moton
Eibach
Champion Motorsports (GT2 wheels)
GIAC Andy, Garrett and Jarod

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series

Last edited by gmgracing; 11-23-2008 at 01:40 AM.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:03 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool & Congrats!!!
Old 11-16-2006, 04:35 PM
HooliganX
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats Fabryce! I'll see you at the GMG open house next month, sounds like it's going to be a blast.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:24 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well done Fabryce, have any video of the event?
Old 11-16-2006, 07:09 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Congratulations !!!

The Japanese tuners flew pro-drivers to the Left Coast just for that event.

Why did you run Toyos? I understand the spec-tire thing with the WCGT, but those tires can't compete against Hoosier A6/R6 or Kumho V710.

It's quite shocking that a modified GT2 is left almost 4 1/2 seconds behind a 996 GT3 Cup with a WCGT engine. That's an eternity on a 2 minutes course, considering the same tires and the same driver.

I wish I could run my car there in the Limited class.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:40 AM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 451 Likes on 268 Posts

NJ-GT

We ran the toyo's because the cup car was developed on it. We wanted to run what we race ....
And we wanted to see what we could do ............ I guess it was enough?

The Gt2 is a pretty stock car - excpet for the suspension, our exhaust and giac software...
It was nothing special and is a road car that is driven weekly..

The 996GT3 Cup we run in World Challenge is anything but a 996 with a World Challenge engine. I can assure of that

If your car is street registered and you run a tire rated of 100 you are eligible to run your car.
There were fully caged cars with license plates on them in the limited class...

We ran Buttonwillow configuration CW13 with bus stop... Cup car ran a 149.012 official- fastest time of the day and overall winner. The Gt2 ran 153.xxx --

Buttonwillow is all handling ... And HP doesnt do much here...

In comparison James was able to click off a low 1;28 in the GT2 at the Willow Springs Big Track... Not bad for a street car on old Toyo's... We run our old race tires we have left over from World Challenge on the car .. 305 rear and 245 front.

Quick Reply: GMG WCGT3 and GT2 WIN TIME ATTACK FINALE @ Buttonwillow!