Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new baby

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 11:02 AM
rabjohns
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

So we just got back from ATL yesterday (Saturday).

We arrived in ATL on Friday night (my son (12) and I (not telling). We took a cab straight to the mechanic who had done the PPI (German Car Repair, Roswell - highly recommended).

As the Taxi pulled up I couldn't believe how truly Beatiful the car looked. I have test driven one before but in the evening light it looked like a perfectly proportioned work of art, low, sleak, purposful, ready to be ...unleashed.

My son gave it the once over and, with a huge grin, recipted the stats one more time.

That night we stayed in a Best Western (ugg - ) and couldn't wait to get up and drive. Sleep was elusive...like a kid on Xmas night

The next morning we got up at 6am ET and were on the road, gassed and pressured up by 7:00.

OK Impressions:
1. First impressions. Wow -

2. The sweet sound of the car above 6,000 revs. I could listen to it all day. Every once in a while we would just floor it to hear the sound, then you have to try another gear just to hear it again. If his mother asks this was, of course, all withing the legal limits

3. The cornering is so solid and planted. My first on-ramp was so sweet. Compared to my previous 1997 C4 Cab it is such a leap forward. We headed north, off 575, into the foothills and drove twisties for a couple of hours before breakfast. Pure joy.

4. The suspension. What is all the fuss about? The car felt only slightly stiffer than my stock, agricultural, 993. My son said it felt much more secure and structually solid (stiff frame vs stiff suspension). After 750 miles home we didn't feel beaten up at all. The suspension is perfect.

5. Noise. Didn't seem noisy either (although remember my comparison is a cab). We asked each other if the sound proofing had really been removed.

6. Niggles.
- Clutch seems very stiff (is that normal). I thought my 993 was stiff but I have to take my foot off at the lights.
- I don't like the stock seat. The wings are two narrow for my shoulders (although I must say I was not sore after 750 miles). Not a problem as I plan to put in Euro seats anyway.
- Rattles. A few of them. Just like my GT3. What is it will 911s and rattles?
- Cupholder. Hard to close. Anybody else have this problem?
- Really nothing major.

So, for those that are interested, our trip took us from Atlanta to Chicago via, the foothills of the Appalachian mountains, Chatanooga, Nashville, Lousiville and Indianapolis.

We averaged 62 Miles an hour including stops, 24 MPG (including bursts). Got no tickets (thank you V1) and didn't get lost (thank you TOMTOM).

My son and I talked and laughed and had a ball. We both smiled everytime the car decided it was bored and needed to stretch it's legs.

Highly recommended.

Future mods:
- GT3 Euro Seats
- Half Cage
- Schroth, hybrid 6 point
- Air Filter
- Already have fire extinguisher and Hans
- No other performance mods for a Year.

Cheers

David

PS A few pics to follow (too busy driving to take many )
Old 11-12-2006, 12:26 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Sounds like a great time for both of you!

Stiff clutch is normal.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:07 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The stock seats are crap. I took them out as soon as I got the car. The Euro seats are more comfortable.

For rattles, use Armor all extra shine (the greasy one), find the spots and rattles will be gone. Use rubber washers and duct tape for panels with too much vibration. My car has 30,000 miles on a stiff suspension, and no rattles.

The engine sound over 6,400 rpm is just outrageous. It sounds much better outside. If you have a chance to run it in a tunnel from 5,000 rpm to redline with both windows down, do it.

What a memorable trip for a 12 year old kid. A memory for life. Well done.

Congratulations !!!
Old 11-12-2006, 03:30 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 357 Posts

I've noticed a few people mention the factory GT3 seats aren't great. That's been my impression also. Can someone refer me to a source for better seats? Thanks.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:55 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

The factory seats were designed to fit the typical range of adult human bodies. They won't hold the human body in place as a racing type seat will. The factory option manual Euro GT3 seats are a good choice and many folks have them in their US GT3 street cars. They come in several variations; leather, cloth, alcantara center sections, and in different colors (black is the most common). The shell is available in carbon fiber ($$$) or fiberglass.

You can find them for sale at some of the US Porsche dealerships (often listed on ebay by Suncoast and Brandywine) and independent shops such as Carnewal and Devek.

Quick Reply: My new baby