1/2 worn PCCB brake pad closeup photos & a question

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 05:02 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Default 1/2 worn PCCB brake pad closeup photos & a question

Perhaps this has been covered before.

I was swapping out the front Pagid 90-2 pads on my 2004 GT3 with PCCB's (I had a slight noise I wanted to investigate), and I noted what looks to be metal pins within the material holding the pad material in place (on the more worn inside pad). I assumed that this must be some very soft metal (perhaps even softer than the pad material) but then again...

The pin does NOT look to go through the backing plate. It looks as if if may just be bonded to the plate like the rest of the material. Check out the pad on the right in the first photo. The second photo shows how much pad materal is left.

Any thoughts on this?

The "pins" left a VERY slight surface trace along the rotor. They did not break the surface of the rotor though.
Attached Images   
Old 10-15-2006, 11:22 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How did you pick the pads in the first place. A local Pagid dealer will not sell me pads. Said that Pagid does not have any for the PCCBs. With that I use the P-40 for street and the P-50 for track. Works great.

I get the cracks at about 50% but never have seen the metal posts. I would guess that they just get hot enough that the pad material breaks free.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:40 AM
PaulRothwell
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These pads are not recommended for use with the PCCB...keep a close eye on your discs though (see attached)..the surface overheats the carbon separates from the undelying silicon carbide and you are left with a grinding machiine which will wear out your pads from new in about 120miles of road use....
Attached Images  
Old 10-16-2006, 08:55 AM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

The 90-2 looks to be the stock pad. You can still see the stock yellow paint in places.

I ordered up "stock" replacement pads from Porsche and got a Porsche box full of Pagid 40's - all black without any trace of yellow paint.

So 40's are on there now.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:55 AM
PaulRothwell
Advanced

so are the stock pads Pagid???
Old 10-16-2006, 11:01 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

yes. Early on they had 3 different compounds: yellow black and green. Sometime in 04 they went with just 2. The softest of the 3 got ****canned. They now carry Black Pagid P-40 and P-50 Green which is the motorsport pads.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:24 PM
lebrunseven
Intermediate

I have a 2002 gt2, and I also wanted to investigate the pads. i removed them tonight, found them to be pagid P90 (yellow) i don't know if these are oem (car has 6,000 miles on it) I want to replace them, as they show signs of pad material flaking away from pad- and they show hair-line cracks. So which ones should be used for occasional fast-road use (probably no track time)? I want to protect the ceramic rotors as long as possible!
Old 10-18-2006, 01:34 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Dealer part only at least what the Pagid dealer in Seattle tells me.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:00 AM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by lebrunseven
I have a 2002 gt2, and I also wanted to investigate the pads. i removed them tonight, found them to be pagid P90 (yellow) i don't know if these are oem (car has 6,000 miles on it) I want to replace them, as they show signs of pad material flaking away from pad- and they show hair-line cracks. So which ones should be used for occasional fast-road use (probably no track time)? I want to protect the ceramic rotors as long as possible!

Get the Pagid 40's. Not cheap, but easy on rotors. I have a supplier that can get you hooked up if you need a set.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:26 PM
PaulRothwell
Advanced

MB how often do you track your car and are the PCCBs holding up?
Old 10-18-2006, 04:23 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Paul,

Just a few track days a season with this car, as I have another that I run with regularly. With that said I do not have any of the standard PCCB issues we hear of.

I read here that the ABS may be the culprit, as it may engage somewhat soon, then that hammers the pads to the rotors when activated. I will say that I think my ABS comes on much too soon, so that may have merit.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:25 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Michael B.
I read here that the ABS may be the culprit, as it may engage somewhat soon, then that hammers the pads to the rotors when activated. I will say that I think my ABS comes on much too soon, so that may have merit.
Being a real-time computer programmer in a past life I wonder if we can upgrade the ABS programming? Hmmm....

Allan
2004 GT3
1975 914-6 3.0 conversion
Old 10-18-2006, 05:58 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those pins are to help retain the friction material and anchor it. Think they are brass and meant to not harm the disk although I've heard stories to the contrary...
Old 10-18-2006, 06:15 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by DanH
Those pins are to help retain the friction material and anchor it. Think they are brass and meant to not harm the disk although I've heard stories to the contrary...
Yup. That is what I thought.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:17 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by AllanJ
Being a real-time computer programmer in a past life I wonder if we can upgrade the ABS programming? Hmmm.... Allan
I am going to check to see if I can just pull a ABS control fuse. Back in the 'ol days that was possible. It would probably throw all sorts of check lights now...

Quick Reply: 1/2 worn PCCB brake pad closeup photos & a question