Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Death of the non-RS GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006 | 06:44 PM
kush07
Racer

Default Death of the non-RS GT3?

I'm thinking of changing my order from a 997TT to a GT3. In discussing the idea with my salesman he expressed some concern over the market for the GT3 given the RS will follow closely on its heals. He said when the RS was announced a large number from his GT3 waiting list switched over to the RS waiting list leaving only 3 or so on the GT3 list and many more on the RS. He even intimated (acknowleging this was just a guess) that the GT3 could one day be totally replaced with only the RS version.

Here's the dilemma. I'm looking at the GT3 because *I think* I may want something a little edgier than the Turbo. But the fact is it will see 95% street vs. track time (3 1/2 and 1 year old at home), so I don't think I need something as extreme as I view the RS (is this a correct view of the RS?). On the other hand, although I don't see something like this as an investment, I don't want to have a very expensive toy on my hands that I'm going to have a problem unloading down the road.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Kush
Old 10-06-2006 | 07:03 PM
stuka
Pro

As someone who has owned a Turbo for 2.5 years, and now a GT2, I think I speak from experience when I say the Turbo sucks even you are even thinking about "edgier."

The Turbo drives itself with PSM, PTM, and AWD. Hell throwin tippy magic tronic and all you have to do is steer and occasionally brake.

Many people switched from GT3 to RS because the RS will come to the U.S. without a hole, while the GT3 comes with mandatory hole on the roof.

Either way, it's a 2 seater. The Turbo can fit two small humans in a pinch, I have done it. The GT3 or RS, you just can't.

The suspension is stiffer in the GT3 or RS, but it's not like the Turbo rides like a Caddy anyway.
Old 10-06-2006 | 07:07 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

At 95% street I would go with the turbo IMO. GT3 comfort level even with the pasm thing will still be stiffly sprung. Now if your roads are silky smooth yeah I go with the GT3 : ). Mike
Old 10-06-2006 | 07:10 PM
HMS
Racer

The devil in me is glad that the "new" GT3 is coming with the hole in the roof and a bunch of electronics. Just makes me appreciate mine so much more.
Old 10-06-2006 | 07:27 PM
kush07
Racer

Ok, but assuming I go the GT3 route, is it foolish not to wait for the RS, or do you think the salesman was overstating the RS desirability over the straight GT3?
Old 10-06-2006 | 07:29 PM
HMS
Racer

An RS will always be more desirable. If you can get a spot....take it.
Old 10-06-2006 | 08:36 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

My understanding is there are so few RS coming to US if you haven't taken a spot, it's too late already. That is unless you are willing to pay a premium over MSRP.
Old 10-06-2006 | 10:11 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Even if you have a spot it won't guarantee your porsche sales center won't add market adjustment when it hits the floor. There will be fewer RS's than dealers. The allocation will be tied to who sell's the Cayanee that they can't give away. That means Champion and Brumos will get the most.

My dealer gets his first GT3 next week and he's added every option you can check off, making the msrp 135K then he's adding 25k on top of that. That baby will sit for a while. I can't imagine how much he'll mark up the RS.

Get the trubo and have some fun. There is always something coming that looks better on paper.
Jimmy
Old 10-07-2006 | 01:16 AM
kush07
Racer

Originally Posted by JJayB
Get the trubo and have some fun. There is always something coming that looks better on paper.
Jimmy
Well said. But actually, the turbo looks better on paper. It's the intangibles I'm worried about passing up just to feel like I've got the fastest car on paper. Also, the turbo vs. GT3 decision is only about a one month delay if I go GT3.

Didn't know there was even a possibility of not actually getting an RS even if I wanted one. Not sure I have the patience to wait even if getting one wasn't a problem.

Stuka, I've lurked around here long enough to know your disdain for the turbo. Can you give me a little insight on where you're coming from? Are you a hardcore track guy or do you feel you're more of an average porsche enthusiast who was just very let down by the last turbo. Although I'd like to get more serious about it, the fact is I've only tracked a car twice, and reality is if I got to the track 5 or 6 times a year with my new car for the next few years, I'm probably doing ok.

Lastly, there's gotta be a better reason to pay 10 or 20 grand than a sunroof delete. What's the major appeal?
Old 10-07-2006 | 02:07 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Many of us on the Rennlist do not want a GT3 or GT3 RS that the dealer orders, we want to option the car ourselves.
Old 10-07-2006 | 06:45 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kush07
Well said. But actually, the turbo looks better on paper. It's the intangibles I'm worried about passing up just to feel like I've got the fastest car on paper. Also, the turbo vs. GT3 decision is only about a one month delay if I go GT3.
The intangibles are going to be far better on the GT3 (or RS) than on the TT. It will be much more fun to drive (unless you only do highway driving). The RS will not be much more compromised (if any) in the comfort dept, so I would get it. However, if you don't mind the sunroof and the more modest appearance of the regular GT3, that is the better deal (although RS will always have a better resal percentage). But, the regular GT3 will still have stronger resale than a TT, imho...
Old 10-07-2006 | 07:56 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by GrantG
..., that is the better deal (although RS will always have a better resal percentage). imho...
not ALWAYS. these so called limited edition or "special" cars are very sensitive to mileage. if i logged 40k on my RS in two years (usually i only need 20 months to do that, and that's just for being my weekend toy), it will depreciate at a faster rate than boxster as most used boxster buyers will accept a 40k miles boxster as a daily driver while most used RS buyers will feel that these are museum pieces and if they had more than 10k/year, they get their panties all twisted up.

that's my personal experience with my 996GT3. it's not easy for me to get ride of 20k miles GT3's. but i do wish you are correct, grant, then RS would be pretty cheap for me to drive, if value held regardless of mileage or at least the RATE of dep'n doent steepen.
Old 10-07-2006 | 08:01 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mooty - yes, an RS might be more sensitive to mileage, but still not sensitive like a Ferrari...
Old 10-07-2006 | 11:19 PM
bora
Racer

Mooty

Check the badge, it says Porsche, not Ferrari.

I am amazed to see 512TRs with 4K miles in 10 years or more.
However, I have to say that the 550 owners seem to drive their cars more than any Ferrari.

I think I even saw a 12 year old 348 Challenge car with less than 10K miles.
Old 10-07-2006 | 11:23 PM
zmann
Instructor

word I hear is that, unless you were on a list several years ago, you won't be getting an RS. I have been on the GT3 list for 3 years and mine won't be here until early next year. I'd wait for an RS if I thought that I could get one, but doesn't seem likely.

BTW, I am ordering my car with whatever options I wish. No deal "pre-ordained" option list.

Quick Reply: Death of the non-RS GT3?