Sponsored by:

LWFW, First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 01:37 AM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LWFW, First Impressions

I had no idea the change to a LWFW would make such a dramatic change. Everything sems to happen more quickly and actually smother than before. Someone had wrote that it was like adding 34 hp to the lower gears and it sure feels like it. I am going to have to be very careful, 100 mph comes up very quickly. Even shifting feels smother now, feels like I was always fighting that heavy flywheel. Car seems smaller,lighter and more responsive now. As to the additional noise, it's quite noticable from under the car but from inside the car it's barely noticable. The trans. oil was changed using the OE oil and that seemed to quiet things down some. Based on the results, this change was worth the effort and expense, nothing I have done to the car has made this much of a change. Would I recommend it to others, you bet.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:59 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Did you buy the parts from the dealer? I assume this was done when the transmission/etc was out for something else in order to save labour cost?
Old 09-17-2006, 07:51 AM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Moogle,
The dealer was installing a clutch kit, warantee, so all I had to buy was the flywheel. I gave them all the P/N's of the needed items and they took care of the rest.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:30 PM
Dubai911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much does the flywheel cost? Would I be an idiot to change it without having any other work done? How many hours worth of labour? Part numbers please.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:51 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Dubai911,
The cost of parts comes to about $1200 US or less, complete (Sunset). If you do a search there are complete parts lists with P/N's available, that's where I got mine from. If you're doing an RMS or clutch replacement the labor should be an additional 0-1 hrs as everything is already apart and from there the install is easy. Many folks here have made the change without having to rely on something else needing to be done at the same time.The labor to do just this work should be similar to a regular clutch job. I just chose to take advantage of having the assy. being disassembeled already. The parts list contains a friction disk so you will be changing the clutch and throw out bearing at the same time. When you're done you'll have a fresh, upgraded clutch assy.

Ray
Old 09-17-2006, 04:51 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much money do you have? To put the whole kit in it is about $2000 for parts and I would guess $800- $1000 labor.
Old 09-17-2006, 06:00 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ray,
do you think the lwfw mod is worth making on a new car
that doesnt already need clutch work?
jeff
Old 09-17-2006, 07:38 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

did mine for under 1500 huger difference in the acceleration as well as down shifts
Old 09-17-2006, 07:52 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Icon,
That's a difficult question to answer. I personally have spent an equivalent amount of money doing mods that didn't yield this kind of change. I guess if I were to do a limited number of changes this would be one of them. I think this should be able to be accomplished in the range of $1800 - $2000. If you stay away from the $200 gas caps, etc. and focus on mods that provide real performance gains, a LWFW can be considered a good performance investment. I guess my point being if you're going to spend the money on mods, this is a good way, to spend it. And is it worth doing alone, that's something that needs an individuals consideration.

Also aside from the performance benifits there are some not mentioned reliability benifits such as not having that heavy flywheel hanging off the crank and all that stress transfered directly to the thrust bearing.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:59 PM
JMcD
Instructor

Ray,
Did you install the RS clutch 996 116 015 30 or reinstall your stock GT3 clutch? Also for gear oil, did you consider Mobil 1 75W-90?
Another mod for less..., is 993 RS Euro motor mounts.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:08 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

The only origonal part I retained was the OE pressure plate. I pretty much followed the parts listed in an earier post. As to the tranny oil, if I was paying the bill I probablly would have tried the Mobil but as this was on their dollar, I was just happy to have the oil being changed at all.

The change to Euro RS 993 motor mounts is on the list of things to be done this winter. Do you know anyone that has done this and what were their observations? Worth doing, etc.?
Old 09-19-2006, 09:16 AM
JMcD
Instructor

Ray, It was recommended by Joel Reiser of the Tech Committee (Panorama). He has done several changeouts on GT3's. The stock mounts are too soft for track use and will negatively effect handling out of the S's (Watkins Glen). You will also find shifting/engagement improved. I'll have them installed when the dealer R/R the RMS, inaddition to the RS flywheel "kit". Gert has them for under $400. a pair. to your door. (I said less, not cheap!) Be sure to get the 130mm long bolts for your GT3.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:47 AM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

JMcD
I spoke to Joel on this issue as well. Also talked to Pete Kemper and he's not too sure this change is necessary if it is not a track car. So there is some dissagreement regarding this. Thats why some first hand comments would be helpful. I will probablly purchase from Sunset or Gert depending on what the dollar/euro does. As to being cheap, anything under $1K in these cars is cheap.

Ray
Old 09-19-2006, 02:21 PM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by RayGT3
Moogle,
The dealer was installing a clutch kit, warantee, so all I had to buy was the flywheel. I gave them all the P/N's of the needed items and they took care of the rest.
Your clutch was replaced under warranty?????? I thought it was a "wear item" and not covered under the warranty? What gives?
Old 09-19-2006, 02:31 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

It was a noise that's comming from that area and the clutch kit was installed to remedy, to no avail. I'm thinking it's the thrust bearing . But before they change the motor they have to exaust any other possibilities. If they change the motor and Porsche finds no problems the dealership gets saddled with a bill for $20k. So they're making real sure that it's not something else other than the bearing. At this point I think we're real close to going with a new motor. But in the mean time I'm getting loads of new parts.

Quick Reply: LWFW, First Impressions