Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cup Steering wheel in a GT3 or GT2

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 07:18 PM
g3tcs
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I fitted the wheel this weekend. Easy to do but for the horn and airbag light.

Wheel was supplied by gert with a contactor for the horn which simply plugs into a hole in the stalk assembly. Only trouble is there is no socket inside the assembly. Had to scour my bits box and found a suitable socket in an old headlight unit which I soldered onto the original horn plug cable and fitted inside the stalk assembly.

After a great deal of fiddling I managed to get the copper contact to match the copper ring on the base of the wheel (the design doesn't help as it is slightly recessed and any minor misalignment and you fail to make contact).

The airbag light was a different matter. I assumed that I could just put a resistance across the original wires to the airbag and advice gave a 100ohm resistor should be ok, but it doesn't work.

Durametric identified the fault and switched the light off for about half a second and despite trying several times I have now resorted to the famous black tape method. Anyone know what I should have done???
Old 03-26-2007, 04:27 AM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

You need a 2.8 Ohm resistor .
Old 03-26-2007, 04:23 PM
g3tcs
Advanced

Gert, you are the man!

The steering wheel is great by the way, will be trying it out tomorrow at Silverstone....

Many thanks,

Tim
Old 03-27-2007, 05:20 PM
g3tcs
Advanced

UPDATE! Just got back from a trackday at Silverstone and the wheel is great!
1. lots of admiring comments.
2. You feel like a racecar driver (not in a sexual sense I hasten to add)
3. You feel more connected - far less input and although it sounds stoopid a much better feel for what the front end is doing (?)
4. More admiring comments

)
Old 03-27-2007, 05:56 PM
RevUrGT3
Racer

Just a dumb question for my fellow US folks... is it legal or would you get in trouble by having an aftermarket steering wheel with no airbag?
Old 03-28-2007, 11:30 AM
g3tcs
Advanced

Well there are a lot of cars out on the public highway without airbag fitment so it is not illegal to drive a car without an airbag but whether it is illegal to remove one and then use it on the road I am not so sure........

Gulp!
Old 03-28-2007, 12:36 PM
g3tcs
Advanced

Update from the UK Dept for Transport website discussing airbag safety....

"Although there is no specific legal requirement for cars on the road to have an airbag, disconnection would be very much a last resort, since the airbag forms part of an overall safety package specifically designed for the particular vehicle. Therefore manufacturers do not generally recommend disconnecting airbags, although it may be appropriate in some exceptional circumstances.

In these cases it would be reasonable for a manufacturer to impose certain conditions before disconnecting an airbag, such as requiring replacement of the steering wheel and possibly the seat belt since these components may have been specifically designed and approved for use with an airbag. They may also require you to accept the responsibility for having the airbag disconnected and for any effect the disconnection may have on any other driver of the car. Of course, the airbag should be reconnected before the car is eventually sold. Finally, your insurance company should be consulted and kept informed."

Sounds fair to me....
Old 03-28-2007, 02:53 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow what an old thread

In the US street driving I would be less concerned about police/etc pulling you over, at most it is an equipment violation.

Safety is an issue on the street, without an airbag you should drive with 6 point harnenesses instead of the 3 point.

The most pressing issue would be how your insurance company handles it, (but they don't have to know )
Old 03-28-2007, 03:20 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Moogle
The most pressing issue would be how your insurance company handles it, (but they don't have to know )
Of course, your insurance company probably doesn't care unless you get into an accident, and then they will likely find out.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:31 PM
g3tcs
Advanced

Well I told my insurance company about the wheel and the 4:1 motorsport crownwheel/pinion today and they were not concerned. More concerned about any power modifications but at least I have it on record in the event of the worst happening!

I am aware of all the comment about street usage with 3 point belts versus 6 points and the dangers of head contact with having a full cage even with padding.

The concerns seem to be advising anyone (such as service techs) driving the car that they are at risk with the cage and the fact that the airbag is on a shelf in my garage! The silly thing is that for the annual Ministry of Transport test, the regulations state you must have servicable 3 point belts fitted - they don't check out the 6 point harnesses!!
Old 03-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Q&A
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

@ g3tcs: What Cup wheel and hub did you have installed ?
The 996 at listed in this thread by Moogle from Carnewall,
Or the 997 Cup as in the image from Supercup ?
Old 03-07-2011, 12:47 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

You understand that this is a 4y old thread.. : )

Gert might remember..
Old 03-07-2011, 01:17 PM
Q&A
Rennlist Member

Thanks John, Gert is looking into it
Old 03-07-2011, 05:17 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Instead of digging up a 4 year old thread, you really should PM the member you have a question for as your odds of getting a response are much better.

Just sayin'..........

FYI....I used a lifeline quick release and momo hub with the cup wheel in mine. Here is a few pics.
Attached Images    
Old 03-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Q&A
Rennlist Member

You're right. I'll PM next time.

Quick Reply: Cup Steering wheel in a GT3 or GT2