Problems with GT3 Mk2?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006 | 06:30 AM
The Prophet
5th Gear

Default Problems with GT3 Mk2?

Hello,

I'm going to buy a GT3 Mk2.

Are there any common problems with the GT3? Is RMS as likely on the GT3 engine as on the standard Carrera engine? I know that a lot of 996s has have their engine replaced, is it the same with the GT3? What about the clutch and gearbox, is the GT3 a lot different from the standard, ie is it better?

Best Regards
Old 08-12-2006 | 08:51 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

sounds like you are just beginning to research about gt3. spend a week read ALL the post on GT3 board, it's invaluable (sp).

common prob in GT3? some rattles a bit. sway bar tends to get lose, your face stuck in the "smiling" position, skipping work to goto track days. take about 5 hours to buy a bottle of milk for the baby..

rms has occurred in some GT3, but not as common as M96 motors.

i have not heard GT3 motor being replaced and they are rebuildable unlike m96 (though some britiish outfit is now rebuilding m96).

"is the GT3 a lot differnt than standard, ie is it better".... well, there's no similarity b/n GT3 and 996 other than shape. is it better.... hard to say. it's hardner to drive, much more uncomfortable, has a stereo that makes your ears bleed, a clutch that will make your left calf more muscular than lance armstrong, notchy shifter, whining LSD, you will scarp the front spoiler every other day... but other than that, it's a more fun car to drive for some. just go drive one and then drive a 996, it will be clear to you.

GT3, despite it's already "legendary" status, is not for everyone. and i, for one, don't think that the "normal" 996 is any lesser than a GT3. they are just different and have different purpose and uses.
Old 08-12-2006 | 12:18 PM
The Prophet
5th Gear

Thx for reply

I've decided to for a GT3 (or perhaps a GT2). Don't like C2/C4/Turbo. I've driven them all (a lot), so I know what to go for.

My question if it's better was regarding the clutch and gearbox.

Best regards
Old 08-12-2006 | 03:09 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
they are rebuildable unlike m96 (though some britiish outfit is now rebuilding m96).
The regular 996 engine has always been rebuildable, PCNA even keeps parts in stock at both warehouses. Warranty actions have required replacement instead of an dealer rebuild because (i'm guessing here) it is cheaper to build an engine in Germany and ship it here than it is to pay the dealer warranty rate. There is also better quality control, etc. etc.
Old 08-12-2006 | 03:42 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
The regular 996 engine has always been rebuildable, PCNA even keeps parts in stock at both warehouses.
Maybe so, but you cannot replace the pistons/cylinders (even increasing displacement) like you can on the GT3 (and all aircooled 911's). The GT3 uses the old 964 style engine where the cylinders are bolted to the crankcase...
Old 08-12-2006 | 04:13 PM
Holger B
Race Car

What Mooty said plus...

GT3 is very sensitive to alignment. Small changes in settings really get magnified and even street driving can become a handling nightmare. So, the car needs to be aligned more often than other versions of 996 or you can upgrade a few suspension pieces to get a handle on this IMO.

I think the gearbox is a stronger version of the regular 996 tranny and it has a cooler, which should make for better longevity all else being equal. The clutch is heavier and requires more effort and I've yet to hear of anyone wearing one out (granted these are not high mileage cars).

It's a great track car right out of the box. With an alignment, better brake fluid & RS19 pads, you can run at the track all day, day after day without worry or hassles.

I had my RMS replaced. It was no big deal, with none of the issues that the 996 has for these repairs. Hasn't leaked a drop since and it's nothing I'd lose sleep over.
Old 08-12-2006 | 04:17 PM
The Prophet
5th Gear

So, what you basically say is that the GT3 has a lot better quality than the standard 996?

Regards
Old 08-12-2006 | 04:27 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Originally Posted by The Prophet
So, what you basically say is that the GT3 has a lot better quality than the standard 996?

Regards
Seam-welded C4 chassis, better motor, brakes, tranny, suspension, aero, etc. Like Mooty said, no comparison between GT3 & regular 996 other than looks and that becomes really obvious when you drive one.
Old 08-12-2006 | 07:51 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

The regular 996 engine has always been rebuildable, PCNA even keeps parts in stock at both warehouses. Warranty actions have required replacement instead of an dealer rebuild because (i'm guessing here) it is cheaper to build an engine in Germany and ship it here than it is to pay the dealer warranty rate. There is also better quality control, etc. etc.
i stand corrected.
my two dealers told me that they will not rebuild the motors, they just take the old one out and stuff another in while sending the old one back to germany like you mentioned about. that's what i mean by not rebuildable, as physicially and mechanically i knew it can be rebuilt.
Old 08-12-2006 | 07:52 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

as far as GT3 gearbox is concern, beside tranny cooler (not on normal 996's), it can swap gears pretty easily (will cost $ for sure, but you can do it if you want to).
Old 08-12-2006 | 09:30 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
i stand corrected.
my two dealers told me that they will not rebuild the motors, they just take the old one out and stuff another in while sending the old one back to germany like you mentioned about. that's what i mean by not rebuildable, as physicially and mechanically i knew it can be rebuilt.
It's unbelievable how cheap the individual parts are; intake valves $7USD. The top-end, pistons, cylinder heads, etc. are all replaceable for less than nothing. True you can't replace the cylinders without replacing the crankcase but that doesn't cost very much either (relatively speaking). What has surprised me is the HUGE reduction in price for MY04 mk2 engine parts compared to the mk1 versions, a lot of things are only 1/10 the cost. Your definitely right though, the true test of quality is not how possible it is to rebuild/replace an engine but how often it's required.
Old 08-13-2006 | 12:42 AM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

I have not seen any quality difference between the 996 models.
Old 08-13-2006 | 12:46 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

It's unbelievable how cheap the individual parts are; intake valves $7USD. The top-end, pistons, cylinder heads, etc. are all replaceable for less than nothing.
damn, i wish i new one end of a wrench from the other so i can work on the motor myself

Your definitely right though, the true test of quality is not how possible it is to rebuild/replace an engine but how often it's required.
LOL, i certailny hope i dont have to rebuild too often.
Old 08-13-2006 | 05:25 AM
Rassel
Drifting

The gearbox is an updated version of the 993 GT2 gearbox.
Old 08-13-2006 | 07:00 AM
The Prophet
5th Gear

Thx all.

Seems like the GT3 mk2 prices are starting to fall... So question is whether to buy now or wait until the 997 GT3 is being delivered, which will probably lower the prices on the 996 GT3 even more.

Regards

Quick Reply: Problems with GT3 Mk2?