Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Q: Checklist for neccessary equipment for DE?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 01:12 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

canysmc: Quite true. I figure that I can continue to make modifications over the next few years and spread out the costs. In addition, this will give some seat time to feel the changes on the track in a gradual fashion.

Phokaioglaukos: Now that is good to know about the LWFW! That bumps it up higher on the "to do" list!

Dr. Porsche: Sure. Participating in a DE has been on my list since 1993 when I bought my first used PCar in my late teens. For numerous and legitimate reasons, I was not able to pursue it until last summer when I finally was able to buy a car for the track. When I started this thread, I was trying to keep my emotions in check. I completely knew beforehand that I was going to love it. And yes, it exceeded my own expectations. Why? Well, it is simply an unbelievable thrill. I love trying to perfect a turn... I love listening to the tires screech, hoping to get a little more out of them before going loose.. I love that at high speed for an extended duration, things begin to happen in slow motion... Skiing fast used to be my rush. I live for winters (hence have moved my career to Utah to be around great skiing). I mentioned it earlier, but skiing lost its luster after spending 6 days at the track last fall. It just doesn't compare. I could go on and on, but I think you get the picture...

Thanks again for all of the great advice. Ain't this PCar stuff great?
-B
Old 05-01-2007, 03:02 PM
Dr.Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought I give this a bump, since it's a new season and there is lots of good stuff here.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:37 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just re-read this thread and am still in awe of all of the great feedback. Thank you! I decided to give an update as I have some other "track notes" to share regarding the GT3:

Tires: My PS2's corded, so I put on the Sport Cups last Friday before a two day full track DE at MMP. Whoa! I had grown quite accustomed to the squeal of the PS2s in corners, and felt comfortable running them near the edge. On PS2s, I got very aggressive (I'd spin about once per day) as I tried to refine my driving. With the Sport Cups, that approach has gone completely out the window. The Sport Cups grip is unbelievable and they are very, very quiet when cornering hard. The biggest difference between tires is that I now have to rely on "feel" as opposed to "auditory" feedback from the PS2s. I was taking corners a few mph faster than my peak speeds on the PS2s, but know that I was not even close to the edge. I hope to push incrementally over time, hence did not push the car into a spin this weekend.. In retrospect, I believe that PS2s are the proper introductory DE tire for the GT3. I might be moving up to Cups early, but feel ready for the next step.

Rain: I had a full DE day in a downpour last month, and despite my initial apprehension, it was the best track day ever. It made me truly "feel" the car. It was also interesting in that people who are usually slow on the dry tracks with low horsepower cars and are good listeners were kicking everyones butt in the rain. It validated my theory that aggressive novice drivers do their own damn thing, and never learn the true line. (Yes, it was humbling)

The "Zone": I don't know what to call it, but I made tremendous progress on my 3rd DE day this season (after the DE day in the rain). My speeds got faster, but eveything seemed to go slower - almost in slow motion. I am much softer on the brakes, my grip on the wheel is more gentle, and I feel like I have infinitely more time to make decisions. My male ego tells me to get arrogant and assume that I am finally kicking ***, but I think the reality lies in my new-found comfort in the car at speed. No matter what the reason, I feel like I have more time to focus on incremental changes to my driving style - and it feels great!

-B

Last edited by blake; 06-04-2007 at 11:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Q: Checklist for neccessary equipment for DE?