Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 vs. 996tt...operating costs...depreciation..

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006 | 05:23 PM
bdhill
Advanced

Default GT3 vs. 996tt...operating costs...depreciation..

I have been looking for a 996tt for a while and have the opportunity to buy a GT3, whch I drove and is an amazing vehicle. Just wondering what the drawbacks are in terms of drivability. GT3 did seem to ride much harsher.
I drove a 996tt and gt3 back to back. Very different cars. I like the idea of the gt3 for occasional tracking(might become addictive.)
Saleperson says maintenance on the gt3 is about he same as a tt...which does not make a lot of sense to me with the 4wd and twin turbos. But, I don't know enough about the gt3 to make a comment.
GT3 should hold its' value better?

Thanks for you input.
Old 07-24-2006 | 05:53 PM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by bdhill
I have been looking for a 996tt for a while and have the opportunity to buy a GT3, whch I drove and is an amazing vehicle. Just wondering what the drawbacks are in terms of drivability. GT3 did seem to ride much harsher.
I drove a 996tt and gt3 back to back. Very different cars. I like the idea of the gt3 for occasional tracking(might become addictive.)
Saleperson says maintenance on the gt3 is about he same as a tt...which does not make a lot of sense to me with the 4wd and twin turbos. But, I don't know enough about the gt3 to make a comment.
GT3 should hold its' value better?

Thanks for you input.
If you are going to track it, take it from someone (me) who just got out of a Turbo after almost three years, GET THE GT3.

AWD gets boring, PSM can't be fully turned off. In the end, the car just felt like it drove itself. IMHO, the 996 GT2 is what a proper Turbo should have been, like a 964 Turbo, no PSM, no AWD, just good ole fashion 911.

That is what a GT3 is, and what the post 964 Turbo's can never hope to be. Sad really, because the Turbo was my dream car.
Old 07-24-2006 | 06:34 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Like many other people in this forum I moved from a 996TT to a 996 GT3. These are different cars for different reasons. I would think the GT3 would less to operate especially since it does not have Turbos. Also, the Turbo is heavier so it goes through more brakes and tires & gas.

From a depreciation stand point only time will tell. However, there are a lot more 996 TT than 996 GT3's so I would think the GT3 will hold its value better than the 996 TT.
Old 07-29-2006 | 05:33 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Think twice about this.
I wouldn't pick between these two cars by financial decision. There is too much of a difference between them.

In stock condition a GT3 is not a weekend cruise driver.
A stock 996TT can be driven on track, quickly also.

So I suggest, first set your mind on the car, then look at the TCO.

Ciao
Old 07-30-2006 | 09:18 AM
Blacksport350
Pro

Both are great cars but here are my answers to your questions....

Operating costs: The GT3 has higher daily operating costs as it uses front rotors and rear tires faster then the 996TT. As for long term costs, make guess is that the GT3 will be lower as they are less complex but more exotic. THe more exotic part could be a liability in the event of a mojor failure as the parts will be more expensive.

Depreciation: I think that long term, the GT3 will probably hold its value better as there are not moany compared to the turbo production numbers but neither car is going to hold its value so buy it to enjoy it.

Which car to buy: They are both excellent cars. The 996TT is the better car for someone the prefers an easier car to drive and a more comfortable car to drive on a daily basis. The GT3 can and is used as a daily driver by hardened enthusiast that don't mind a good pounding(like myself) but can really beat on you around town. The GT3 also commands a great deal of your attention all the time which is what makes it so much of a joy to drive. You will always be "working" the car. This is not a car for the guy that talks on a cell phone and lets his mind wander while he is driving. It is also too loud to drive down the highway and use a phone without people wondering if you are in a wind tunnel. When it comes to spirited driving or the track, the GT3 is a shinning star. For me, I didn't need to think more then 2 seconds about the choice between an X50 and the GT3(actually, it took me about 2 minutes but you get the idea). Sometimes a wish I had the 996TT but not often. No one can tell you which pf the two is the best car for you, you just have to drive them both(as you have) and make the decision with your heart!

Hope this helps and whichever you buy, you can't go wrong!
Old 07-30-2006 | 01:25 PM
bdhill
Advanced

thanks so much...I appreciate the insight and I still can't decide.
I wish I could get both...
Old 07-30-2006 | 02:57 PM
bora
Racer

I would beg to differ. I think GT3 while being rare appeals to a much smaller audience. Financially, I see 996 Turbo as being able to keep its value better.

Obviously on the track stock vs stock, the GT3 is the better car.
Old 07-30-2006 | 03:36 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bora
I would beg to differ. I think GT3 while being rare appeals to a much smaller audience. Financially, I see 996 Turbo as being able to keep its value better.
That might change with the 997 GT3, no? I think it's been deliberately softened up to appeal to a broader audience (like other 911s of late...).
Old 07-30-2006 | 06:22 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Since both have taken large hits in depreciation since new. They will probably be similar as long as you don't pay too much. As far as operating costs, they should be similar. They have no real weakness. So really use of tires and rotors is based on how hard you drive. If you do start going ot the track you will find the Turbo will use things up more as it is heavier.

I would get the GT3, because it can do everything well and can excel at the track (but I would not drive it everyday). The Turbo will be better on the road and still good on the track (an true everyday car). I would give a lot of consideration to what your main use will be and go from there.
Old 07-30-2006 | 09:28 PM
bdhill
Advanced

thanks...neither car would be a daily driver. I am certain I would drive them more than I think, but, I am in Ohio, so cars would be in garage for 3-4 months.
Car would be a second vehicle to have fun with, maybe do some club track events. I don't plan on major mods to the cars.
Old 07-30-2006 | 11:27 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Originally Posted by bdhill
thanks...neither car would be a daily driver. I am certain I would drive them more than I think, but, I am in Ohio, so cars would be in garage for 3-4 months.
Car would be a second vehicle to have fun with, maybe do some club track events. I don't plan on major mods to the cars.

Get the GT3!
Old 07-31-2006 | 12:37 AM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

I had this same dilema about 4 months ago. I had been looking for a Turbo for 6 months. I started thinking about GT3's. The right one came along at the perfect time and it is the best automotive decision I have made. I purchased it with 7k miles on it. I drive it daily and it currently has 14,000 miles 4 months later.
Old 07-31-2006 | 01:52 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree with Holger - given your respone get the GT3, you will love it and it will be a lot more fun at Mid Ohio than a Turbo!

Quick Reply: GT3 vs. 996tt...operating costs...depreciation..